Computers & Electronics

RCA/Haier/Avera/Fluid/Sylvania/Technicolor/ProScan 49"/55"/65" UHD 4K TV Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2024 3:36 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2009
1380 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone with this TV find that there is "lip-syncing" issues when using it with a cable box? I have the Haier version hooked up to a rogers 4K box and on some channels the audio is either ahead or slower than the video by a tad which is quite annoying.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Bojangles416 wrote: Anyone with this TV find that there is "lip-syncing" issues when using it with a cable box? I have the Haier version hooked up to a rogers 4K box and on some channels the audio is either ahead or slower than the video by a tad which is quite annoying.
Have you tried various input ports on the on the TV as well and making sure you are using a "High Speed HDMI cable" ?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2009
1380 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: Have you tried various input ports on the on the TV as well and making sure you are using a "High Speed HDMI cable" ?
I will try switching inputs. It only happens on some TV channels though.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32143 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
According to the Walmart BF flyer the RCA 55" is going for $368, assuming i can get it online before it sells out (assuming its not just in store) is there any reason not to buy it over the Costco Haier 55", as i understand they are the same unit?
Costco is $469.99 - 25 masterpass and gets an extra year warranty, unless it also gets a BF markdown.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Quentin5 wrote: is there any reason not to buy it over the Costco Haier 55", as i understand they are the same unit?
Where it matter:
- 90 days return (vs. 30 days at WM).
- 3 additional years (on top of the first 2) for $30 (WM does have extended warranty not sure about the price though).
Where it doesn't:
- 1st year will go through the manufacturer either way.
- 2nd year will go through CC issuer for non Costco members.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32143 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
aasoror wrote: Where it matter:
- 90 days return (vs. 30 days at WM).
- 3 additional years (on top of the first 2) for $30 (WM does have extended warranty not sure about the price though).
Where it doesn't:
- 1st year will go through the manufacturer either way.
- 2nd year will go through CC issuer for non Costco members.
Thanks
Sounds like Walmart is mostly a better deal unless Costco has a BF discount
To be honest i would expect better warranty service from Costco then WM, but of course i would hope it never needs such service. One thing i have wondered is with a costco membership does the warranty doubling credit card cover a third year?
Also are dead pixels likely on this TV and how does Costco/WM handle them?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Quentin5 wrote: Thanks
Sounds like Walmart is mostly a better deal unless Costco has a BF discount
To be honest i would expect better warranty service from Costco then WM, but of course i would hope it never needs such service. One thing i have wondered is with a costco membership does the warranty doubling credit card cover a third year?
No you wont be covered for a third year, both Costco's concierge warranty and CC extended warranty are capped at 2 years from purchase (i.e. for manufacturers who offers 2 years warranty, like Epson, you can't exercise any of these "extra warranties").
Also are dead pixels likely on this TV and how does Costco/WM handle them?
They wont handle it in any special way, just take it back for an exchange during the "satisfaction guarantee" return period.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
im thinking of getting the 55" hisense from costco for 499$ , is this the best i can get for a 500$ budget this BF/CM?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
DimsumDeals wrote: im thinking of getting the 55" hisense from costco for 499$ , is this the best i can get for a 500$ budget this BF/CM?
You can get the RCA 55" version for $370 at WM this BF.
The Technicolor (new addition to Curtis) version was $380 at SDM last weekend (were people redeemed $175 of points toward it, netting around $200)
The Sylvania version will be $399 at CT as well
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: You can get the RCA 55" version for $370 at WM this BF.
The Technicolor (new addition to Curtis) version was $380 at SDM last weekend (were people redeemed $175 of points toward it, netting around $200)
The Sylvania version will be $399 at CT as well
yeah but for these kind of brands isnt costco's extended warranty better than getting the RCA from WM this BF? I'm quite scared that after a few years it might break down.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
DimsumDeals wrote: yeah but for these kind of brands isnt costco's extended warranty better than getting the RCA from WM this BF? I'm quite scared that after a few years it might break down.
Few things to note about Costco's warranty:
- first near Costco will send you to the manufacturer (so its the same whether or not you buy from Costco).
- 2nd year Costco only covers their "active members", if you are not then its the CC issuer that will cover second year (if they have an extended warranty policy) which will also apply for your second year buying elsewhere.
- For years 3-5 Costco sells an extended warranty coverage ($30 for TVs bellow $500, $60 between $500 and $1000), but so does WM, CT and TheSource for the cheapo TVs they will be selling this BF, you will need to ask around and see total cost of ownership (warranty included) for each option.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Quentin5 wrote: Is this Sylvania the same TV as the Costco Haier?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sylva ... 1294p.html
$374 on Thurs-Sun, though not bad $399 now and no sell out issues if bought today
Same TV, if you don't mind CT return policy.
Jun 8, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill, ON
I bought a 10ft HDMI 2.0 cable just in case, but do the 49" or 55" RCA TVs come with an HDMI 2.0 cable?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
cokefriend wrote: I bought a 10ft HDMI 2.0 cable just in case, but do the 49" or 55" RCA TVs come with an HDMI 2.0 cable?
They don't, never bought a TV that came with an HDMI cable.
Jun 8, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill, ON
aasoror wrote: They don't, never bought a TV that came with an HDMI cable.
thanks for the help, first time buying a tv first-hand
Sep 29, 2007
747 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
So I got a Sylvania 55" today and have read this thread the whole way. Couple questions :

What does Other Settings > HDMI 4k > Standard or Enhancement do?

When I'm in 4k mode, I can't change like any picture settings and advanced is greyed out. All I can change is the colour temp.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Millstone wrote: So I got a Sylvania 55" today and have read this thread the whole way. Couple questions :

What does Other Settings > HDMI 4k > Standard or Enhancement do?

When I'm in 4k mode, I can't change like any picture settings and advanced is greyed out. All I can change is the colour temp.
I can't find the manual for the Sylvania, but for non HDR TVs that usually means enabling "Deep Color".
If you are locked of settings in the user menu, try making your changes in the service menu (see if pressing menu -> 1147 works for you).
Good luck,
Jun 8, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill, ON
aasoror wrote: Congrats :)
Hopefully you like it.
Got a Sylvania 55" TV
Not sure if it the same as an RCA/Haier, but its amazing for $450 after tax & fees in Ontario.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)