• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2020 3:56 pm
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3363 posts
504 upvotes
Kingston
Hisense is Roku, RCA is not.... To me I'd go with Hisense as there is a more higher likelihood that Roku will support apps longer since it is universally used across multiple brands vs RCA standalone. RCA support could drop apps at any time and then what?
Nov 29, 2009
149 posts
89 upvotes
London
Messerschmitt wrote: Can anyone give me their input on the Hisense vs RCA 65" TV's?

https://www.costco.ca/hisense-65-in.-4k ... 26463.html
vs
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/6000199568514

Hisense is $600 vs RCA at $500.

Thank you
Go with the Hisense for sure. They are producing very respectable "budget friendly" tv's these days and with the Costco warranty you are well protected should you get a lemon. Tv's are a crapshoot. Just hope you are one of the lucky ones who gets a good panel. I bought a Vizio off the wall at Wal Mart 10 years ago and it still works well. It didn't even come in a box! Recently I purchased a scratch and dent from The source Samsung NU 8000 and other than the hours on the tv it is working great. It really is a "roll of the dice" but buying from Costco helps with that. Good luck...
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10061 posts
2697 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: Hisense is Roku, RCA is not.... To me I'd go with Hisense as there is a more higher likelihood that Roku will support apps longer since it is universally used across multiple brands vs RCA standalone. RCA support could drop apps at any time and then what?
Problem is I already have my own streaming services. I don't know how Roku can help. Are there free content (quality) that Roku can provide? I have no interest in subscribing to netflix, etc.
fortune500 wrote: Go with the Hisense for sure. They are producing very respectable "budget friendly" tv's these days and with the Costco warranty you are well protected should you get a lemon. Tv's are a crapshoot. Just hope you are one of the lucky ones who gets a good panel. I bought a Vizio off the wall at Wal Mart 10 years ago and it still works well. It didn't even come in a box! Recently I purchased a scratch and dent from The source Samsung NU 8000 and other than the hours on the tv it is working great. It really is a "roll of the dice" but buying from Costco helps with that. Good luck...
How exactly is Costco policy on electronics? I know they allow 90 days return (vs 30 from Walmart), but after that? Is something goes wrong, can I go to Costco to exchange a broken tv or repair? Or do I have to deal with Hisense directly, just like I would've with Walmart (directly with RCA). Can you please elaborate what the benefits with Costco are if something goes wrong after the return dates?
Why Buy a TCL from Bestbuy at the same price like Hisense from Costco?

-------------
Thank you all that chipped in
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26029 posts
11477 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: How exactly is Costco policy on electronics? I know they allow 90 days return (vs 30 from Walmart), but after that? Is something goes wrong, can I go to Costco to exchange a broken tv or repair? Or do I have to deal with Hisense directly, just like I would've with Walmart (directly with RCA). Can you please elaborate what the benefits with Costco are if something goes wrong after the return dates?
Exactly as you described.
I think their 3rd party warranty is better, but even then I'm not actually sure it's better.
It is however pretty cheap.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3218 posts
2619 upvotes
Markham
Messerschmitt wrote: Why Buy a TCL from Bestbuy at the same price like Hisense from Costco?
If you are a Costco member, buy HiSense for two year warranty.
If not, I would recommend TCL which seems to integrate the Roku OS better on their TVs.
I chose TCL instead of HiSense when I bought mine on Black Friday. Mine is 55" S423 (same as S425) and Bestbuy is selling the 65" S425. It is quite easy to adjust the picture quality based on recommended settings available on the web. This is my first smart TV and I am happy with my TCL purchase.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3363 posts
504 upvotes
Kingston
Messerschmitt wrote: Problem is I already have my own streaming services. I don't know how Roku can help. Are there free content (quality) that Roku can provide? I have no interest in subscribing to netflix, etc.
Roku isn't necessarily a streaming service (though it does offer its own streaming options). it is more of an operating system aka software. So if you watch Netflix, Plex, Disney+, etc it will all be on Roku and should be for the foreseeable future. I can't say the same thing about RCA. As far as I know, RCA isn't exactly known for their in-depth app store like Roku is. Now if you don't care about streaming now or in the future, then it doesn't matter what TV you buy as you are simply using the TV as a monitor to do whatever it is you do. However keep in mind that your habits could change one day and instead of having to go out and buy a device like a Firestick/Apple TV/Nvidia/Android/Roku/etc, it's all there in the Hisense TV through Roku without needing a secondary device. It's about future proofing. I don't know your situation and whether your married and have kids, etc, but if you are single and are looking for that down the road, that right there will change everything at some point.

I only recently joined the smart TV club when I replaced my 32" Toshiba dumb TV with a 40" Hisense Roku and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. With the Toshiba, I was using an Apple TV to get all my content, with Hisense, it's all one remote instead of 2 and Roku is a great system.

At the end of day, go to Costco and take a look at the Hisense, and go to Walmart and look at the RCA and then make your choice. Personally, I'd go Hisense, as it offers a lot more options than RCA does, but that's your call.