• Dec 15th, 2019 2:18 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
5494 posts
31363 upvotes
Ontario

RCMP unveil project with Amazon that uses bait packages to catch thieves

The RCMP has revealed that it has been collaborating with Amazon to catch thieves using bait packages. The bait packages that the RCMP use look like standard Amazon boxes but include GPS trackers in them along with regular items. Prince George in British Columbia is the first city in Canada to partner with Amazon on this project. The collaboration first began in January after a RCMP officer named Brent Benbow contacted Amazon about the idea. “I sent them an email, and from there till now, it’s been a great partnership and they’ve been super helpful,” Brenbow told the CBC. The RCMP has delivered more than 50 bait boxes to a number of home doorsteps and mailboxes around the city. Once someone takes a box there is an activation sent to the RCMP that allows officers to track the package. Benbow reached out to residents who were previously impacted by mail theft and asked them if they were open to having bait packages being placed on their properties. So far there have been three activations, which have led to one arrest of a 37-year-old male who is currently being investigated and could potentially be charged. Benbow says that the project has received positive responses from the community.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/12/12/rcmp ... -packages/
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5208 posts
3673 upvotes
Vancouver
I would support this even if I never lost a package. It saves me always having to pick up packages due to the simple fact I don’t want to risk my package being stolen.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32936 posts
14658 upvotes
I wonder why the RCMP is involved in this? Is this because package delivery somehow falls under federal jurisdiction or is it because Prince George doesn't have a municipal police department or provincial detachment?

Because after something arrives at your door, you'd think theft is theft whether it's a parcel or just something sitting at your door that you put outside.

Anyway whatever the jurisdiction here, police departments everywhere should be doing stuff like this. I mean if they can setup all kinds of RIDE checks this time of year they can start doing something about increased thefts and burglaries this time of year too. Scumbags all know people are doing Christmas shopping around now which means lots of pricey goods both in houses and in doorstep packages just waitin' for a stealin' (in their minds).
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
465 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I wonder why the RCMP is involved in this? Is this because package delivery somehow falls under federal jurisdiction or is it because Prince George doesn't have a municipal police department or provincial detachment?

Because after something arrives at your door, you'd think theft is theft whether it's a parcel or just something sitting at your door that you put outside.

Anyway whatever the jurisdiction here, police departments everywhere should be doing stuff like this. I mean if they can setup all kinds of RIDE checks this time of year they can start doing something about increased thefts and burglaries this time of year too. Scumbags all know people are doing Christmas shopping around now which means lots of pricey goods both in houses and in doorstep packages just waitin' for a stealin' (in their minds).
Yeah I dunno why the police are acting like this is rocket science.....
Like it took an RCMP officer in 2019 to send an email to amazon???

This could have started 10 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
5494 posts
31363 upvotes
Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: I wonder why the RCMP is involved in this? Is this because package delivery somehow falls under federal jurisdiction or is it because Prince George doesn't have a municipal police department or provincial detachment?

Only Vancouver, Victoria and next year Surrey, BC have their own police force. All other communities in B.C., including Prince George are handled by the RCMP .
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
This is far less entertaining than fart spray and glitter.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2866 posts
540 upvotes
Ontario
I mean, c'mon offisifer Brent Bentbow, got tired of his boxes of strap on dildos getting stolen and he had to do something.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
1007 posts
1225 upvotes
Pardon wrote: Only Vancouver, Victoria and next year Surrey, BC have their own police force. All other communities in B.C., including Prince George are handled by the RCMP .
A lot more communities in BC actually have their own police force. For example, West Vancouver, New Westminster, Delta, Port Moody, and Abbotsford are some notable ones.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
5494 posts
31363 upvotes
Ontario
Colorado mom lets porch pirates take out her trash with decoy packages

Christine Hyatt's family has had legitimate packages stolen off their porch more than 20 times.

When they missed trash day a few weeks ago, she got an idea.

"We forgot to set our trash out for Thanksgiving, so we were overflowing with trash," Hyatt explained to 11 News. "I've had packages stolen and I went, 'You know what? I have extra boxes -- let's see if someone will take our trash!'"

Thieves didn't skip a beat. Wednesday marked the third round of decoy Amazon packages, filled to the brim with trash, getting snagged off Hyatt's porch.

"This is my way of fighting back," Hyatt said.

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Color ... 21271.html
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8596 posts
2368 upvotes
Mississauga
Pardon wrote: Colorado mom lets porch pirates take out her trash with decoy packages

Christine Hyatt's family has had legitimate packages stolen off their porch more than 20 times.

When they missed trash day a few weeks ago, she got an idea.

"We forgot to set our trash out for Thanksgiving, so we were overflowing with trash," Hyatt explained to 11 News. "I've had packages stolen and I went, 'You know what? I have extra boxes -- let's see if someone will take our trash!'"

Thieves didn't skip a beat. Wednesday marked the third round of decoy Amazon packages, filled to the brim with trash, getting snagged off Hyatt's porch.

"This is my way of fighting back," Hyatt said.

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Color ... 21271.html
Its got to be more than 1 thief after he gets 1 parcel of garbage you would think he wouldn't come back.

I fully support the RCMP I have only lost 1 parcel from Amazon and it was toilet paper. lol
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14768 posts
19678 upvotes
Vancouver
3express wrote: A lot more communities in BC actually have their own police force. For example, West Vancouver, New Westminster, Delta, Port Moody, and Abbotsford are some notable ones.
There are also three municipal forces in the Victoria suburbs. The only interior community to have its own police force is Nelson. B.C. disbanded its provincial police force in 1950 and has since contracted the RCMP to police the province, as have most B.C. municipalities including Prince George.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14768 posts
19678 upvotes
Vancouver
This is going to do nothing to help. The Vancouver police have been using bait cars and bait bicycles for years and car and bike theft is still widespread. The fact that packages are delivered by drop & dash is the real problem. If valuable stuff is left on your doorstep of course it’s going to be stolen. If people were in the habit of leaving $20 bills in their doorsteps nobody would be shocked that they would be stolen. Why would Amazon parcels be any different?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1391 upvotes
I suspect a lot of package 'losses' are actually at the hands of the recipients with their maxxed out credit cards.

Its a lot easier for a package (of exactly the stuff you want) to go 'missing' than it is to go, for example, shoplift a bunch of toothpaste, toys, and other miscellaneous items from Wal-Mart.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)