• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 11:18 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19886 posts
9318 upvotes
Oakville
GoodFellaz wrote: regular snail mail works for me too but i want to advance with technology not take a step backwards, so even if you dont use SMS or RCS its still a benefit
Well, it's not a benefit if you literally never use it. BUT, I look at it as an overall net positive - some people still can't afford data plans, so for those folks it's great if they get improved functionality to the system.
Nov 16, 2014
195 posts
80 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
People I know got their daughter an iPhone and a SIM so she could phone and text, but no data. They found that when they texted her from their phones (iMessage) that it sometimes took many minutes before the text showed on the daughters phone. It seems that iMessage and conventional messaging don't work well together. Will this be a problem with RCS? BTW, I may be mixing things up with this question because I really don't know what I'm talking about.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
Pingu99 wrote: People I know got their daughter an iPhone and a SIM so she could phone and text, but no data. They found that when they texted her from their phones (iMessage) that it sometimes took many minutes before the text showed on the daughters phone. It seems that iMessage and conventional messaging don't work well together. Will this be a problem with RCS? BTW, I may be mixing things up with this question because I really don't know what I'm talking about.
The app tries to send through data first and then falls back to regular SMS/MMS when it detects that it can't send/receive. That lag time is the result of that. RCS is similar. There's also the option of just disabling RCS for individual contacts altogether.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6324 posts
6303 upvotes
Downtown Canada
elpaso wrote: Working on Google Messages but not Samsung Messages.
Yep, I've noticed that as well on my s20+
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4676 posts
2077 upvotes
GTA
So I finally got chat with the android 11 update on my s20 in the samsung messages app.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5078 posts
1541 upvotes
0 downvotes
Just noticed my friends are using Google Messenger (Messages)

Can I replace Samsung Messages app with Google Messages on Bell and still have RCS functionality? or will it not work? im affraid to try
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
GoodFellaz wrote: Just noticed my friends are using Google Messenger (Messages)

Can I replace Samsung Messages app with Google Messages on Bell and still have RCS functionality? or will it not work? im affraid to try
It should work. Might have to unregister from the Samsung version and register on the Google version.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20924 posts
9184 upvotes
Toronto
It seems like RCS is pretty heavy on the data usage. I have registered 92 Mbytes of WiFi data usage on the app, 18 of that on foreground and 74 background. Being home on the computer these days, pretty much all the messaging is done on the browser using the messages for web with the phone syncing to the computer.

I just checked other chat apps for comparison. I also use hangouts, skype, telegram and signal on the computer with the phone doing the syncing. I have registered 2 MBytes on hangouts, 7 Mbytes skype, 1 Mbyte on telegram and 12 Mbytes on signal. I don't keep track of the number of messages, but RCS seems to be a disproportionate data hog. Those who want to conserve mobile data should think twice about using the feature.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5078 posts
1541 upvotes
0 downvotes
maybe its the picture transfers?
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
will888 wrote: It seems like RCS is pretty heavy on the data usage. I have registered 92 Mbytes of WiFi data usage on the app, 18 of that on foreground and 74 background. Being home on the computer these days, pretty much all the messaging is done on the browser using the messages for web with the phone syncing to the computer.

I just checked other chat apps for comparison. I also use hangouts, skype, telegram and signal on the computer with the phone doing the syncing. I have registered 2 MBytes on hangouts, 7 Mbytes skype, 1 Mbyte on telegram and 12 Mbytes on signal. I don't keep track of the number of messages, but RCS seems to be a disproportionate data hog. Those who want to conserve mobile data should think twice about using the feature.
Might want to take another look at that. I checked my usage as well and every month since September, my Messages app has 92MB of WiFi usage as well. That can't be a coincidence. I'm going to take a wild guess and think that's normal.

Data usage, on the other hand, ranges from 2MB to 10MB per month for me. But I also haven't been sending media over RCS.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19886 posts
9318 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote: It seems like RCS is pretty heavy on the data usage. I have registered 92 Mbytes of WiFi data usage on the app, 18 of that on foreground and 74 background. Being home on the computer these days, pretty much all the messaging is done on the browser using the messages for web with the phone syncing to the computer.

Worth noting that when you use messaging on the browser with messages for web, that actually uses data on your phone to sync messages over to the web (the messages website won't work if your phone isn't connected to the net)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20924 posts
9184 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: Worth noting that when you use messaging on the browser with messages for web, that actually uses data on your phone to sync messages over to the web (the messages website won't work if your phone isn't connected to the net)
I know that is what is happening. Even though I am typing the messages on the computer, it is pretty much the same a typing on the phone given the synching to the phone.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20924 posts
9184 upvotes
Toronto
Dave98 wrote: Might want to take another look at that. I checked my usage as well and every month since September, my Messages app has 92MB of WiFi usage as well. That can't be a coincidence. I'm going to take a wild guess and think that's normal.

Data usage, on the other hand, ranges from 2MB to 10MB per month for me. But I also haven't been sending media over RCS.
The data usage went up 2.9 Mbytes in the last 3 days. It can't be a number picked out of thin air.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19886 posts
9318 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote: I know that is what is happening. Even though I am typing the messages on the computer, it is pretty much the same a typing on the phone given the synching to the phone.
Right, but you were saying you think RCS is causing a lot of extra data usage, but you're also increasing your web messaging usage so that's going to increase your data usage for the messages app too.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5078 posts
1541 upvotes
0 downvotes
Dave98 wrote: It should work. Might have to unregister from the Samsung version and register on the Google version.
How do you unregister Samsung messages? I don't see any option
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
GoodFellaz wrote: How do you unregister Samsung messages? I don't see any option
Not sure, sorry. I haven't had to try it on Samsung Messages. I know that with Google Messages, you have to disable it and re-enable it even if you're just switching phones. I assume it would be the same on Samsung.

Perhaps just enabling RCS on Google Messages could work
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20924 posts
9184 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: Right, but you were saying you think RCS is causing a lot of extra data usage, but you're also increasing your web messaging usage so that's going to increase your data usage for the messages app too.
I get it that the more messaging I do on the computer, the greater the data usage on the app. The thing that really does not make sense is the amount of usage. I am sending text only.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet