Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
RCSS

Netflix gift card, 6K in points back from $60

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 10:14 am
May 12, 2011
594 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary

Netflix gift card, 6K in points back from $60

Savings:
10%
Expiry:
October 30, 2019
Retailer:
RCSS
Spend $60 on Netflix gift card and get 6000 points back.
20191018_174905.jpg
Last edited by wolandca on Oct 23rd, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

50 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2653 posts
443 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Please fix your title. This isn't 10% off, this is 6K in points back at SS.
Feb 20, 2019
32 posts
56 upvotes
Be careful they charge tax in BC on Netflix gift cards, which means you are worse off than paying directly online
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
8668 posts
10272 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Bah bring back the 10k on $50 at SDM!
Mar 31, 2010
489 posts
364 upvotes
Run through Turkey is way cheaper
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1500 posts
3475 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Herrie wrote: Be careful they charge tax in BC on Netflix gift cards, which means you are worse off than paying directly online
No they don’t. Here’s my receipt.

Thanks OP. I switched to credit card this month after my Stack Netflix promo expired and it really hurt to start getting dinged for taxes. This saves me the 12% + I get 10% back in PC points.

Hoping the 20% SDM promo (10K PCO for every $50 spent) comes back before my GC credit runs out.

9D186A5B-5E94-49CA-91C9-21AC31AE0547.jpeg
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
May 11, 2009
536 posts
369 upvotes
Vancouver
Can you redeem points to buy gift cards?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2338 upvotes
Langley
az27 wrote: Run through Turkey is way cheaper
Can you elaborate on this?
Oct 18, 2015
388 posts
279 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vancityguy0 wrote: No they don’t. Here’s my receipt.

Thanks OP. I switched to credit card this month after my Stack Netflix promo expired and it really hurt to start getting dinged for taxes. This saves me the 12% + I get 10% back in PC points.

Hoping the 20% SDM promo (10K PCO for every $50 spent) comes back before my GC credit runs out.

9D186A5B-5E94-49CA-91C9-21AC31AE0547.jpeg
Maybe they didn't at RCSS, but Shoppers and 7-11 definitely do charge tax on top -- for 20% SDM, it's still a deal, but the RCSS deal would have been better if they don't charge tax.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: No they don’t.
Actually they do. Movies and TV are classified as telecommunications services which means they're taxable even as a gift card.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes ... rvices.pdf

RCSS is just incorrectly not applying taxes. Don't tell anyone though.
Also someone tell Netflix to add a book.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1500 posts
3475 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
eyeball123 wrote: Maybe they didn't at RCSS, but Shoppers and 7-11 definitely do charge tax on top -- for 20% SDM, it's still a deal, but the RCSS deal would have been better if they don't charge tax.

Then you should make a complaint about SDM/7-11 to Consumer Protection BC.

Taxes are meant to be charged when you buy a service (such as a subscription. A Netflix gift card has an absolute cash value and is not sold as a subscription for x months.

This is the same as picking up *any* gift card from Costco - spas, barber shops, restaurants - they all sell services, but the Gift Cards have a fixed value. This is why you are charged the absolute sale price for these at Costco and not taxes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: This is the same as picking up *any* gift card from Costco - spas, barber shops, restaurants - they all sell services, but the Gift Cards have a fixed value. This is why you are charged the absolute sale price for these at Costco and not taxes.
It really depends on the type of gift card.
See above for anything related to telecommunications. But other categories do have PST occasionally too. Generally speaking though you are correct. Most value based instead of service based cards don't have PST. But it's not a 100% rule.
Welcome to BC: Bring Cash.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1500 posts
3475 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote: Actually they do. Movies and TV are classified as telecommunications services which means they're taxable even as a gift card.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes ... rvices.pdf

RCSS is just incorrectly not applying taxes. Don't tell anyone though.
Also someone tell Netflix to add a book.
Other way around mate- it’s Netflix that should be charging taxes, so they should be deducted from the customers account credit at the time of Subscription renewal.

Apple charges it when something is purchased from their App store and so does Microsoft & Google.

Netflix currently doesn’t and they’ll probably have to change this at some point.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: Other way around mate- it’s Netflix that should be charging taxes, so they should be deducted from the customers account credit at the time of Subscription renewal.
Now I actually wonder if Netflix is charging PST too.
Their gift cards in BC however DO have taxes. Or rather should. See the PDF I linked earlier.
Apple charges it when something is purchased from their App store and so does Microsoft & Google.

Technically speaking Google at least has books for sale which would exempt their cards from having PST despite also having movies and TV.
I would imagine Apple has a book too. I have no idea about Microsoft though.
Netflix currently doesn’t and they’ll probably have to change this at some point.
Yeah this could get complicated.
BC Government demands PST on gift cards. Netflix has to charge when a device is "usually located" in BC.
They could probably go by billing address, but I'm not sure they'd know if PST has been paid on the gift card or not if for example it was bought out of jurisdiction because it was you know... a gift.
They could easily be charging PST twice. Or not at all.
It would have been FAR simpler if BC wasn't a jerk about it and wanted taxes on the gift card at the point of sale.
Sep 12, 2019
154 posts
226 upvotes
If you spent $60, and you get $6 in points, you have a total of $66.

That means that it's actually a savings of 9.1%, not 10%, because you don't get the money back. You have to spend the $6.

Saving 10% would be taking off $6 from the cost and you only paying $54.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10060 posts
12664 upvotes
Toronto
Also at Loblaws and Valu-Mart.
Aug 20, 2018
388 posts
433 upvotes
UltraSSJD wrote: If you spent $60, and you get $6 in points, you have a total of $66.

That means that it's actually a savings of 9.1%, not 10%, because you don't get the money back. You have to spend the $6.

Saving 10% would be taking off $6 from the cost and you only paying $54.
Assuming you'd be redeeming the points/shopping at Superstore again (or Shoppers, Loblaws, etc.), which would be case for essentially everyone, then the points can be viewed as straight cashback. You'd spend $60, get $6 back in points, and so this is equivalent to spending $54 (aka 10% savings). It's as if you got handed $6 cash in your pocket right after spending the $60, assuming you'd be going back to Superstore (or any other Loblaw-operated store) at some point later to redeem the points for whatever you want to buy (whatever you buy afterwords with the points is really irrelevant to the initial transaction that got you those points).
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10531 posts
4735 upvotes
Burnaby
Err, no. You still spent 66 to save 6

True ten percent back is spend 54 to get 6k points or spend 60 and get an immediate ten percent rebate
Sep 20, 2007
437 posts
293 upvotes
Edmonton
Not advertised at Superstore West Edmonton but my receipt shows 6000 points received

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)