Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: RE: Costco West thread misinformation.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 4:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2450 posts
870 upvotes

RE: Costco West thread misinformation.

There is Costco West thread in the Hot Deals section with beautiful pictures of their items on sale but also many that are at regular prices and some "hot sellers".

I strongly feel that regular prices and hot sellers do not belong in the Hot Deals section.
It is misleading as many people will not see that they are everyday prices and not on-sale items.
It devalues the Hot Deal section.

The solution is to put that thread as a "sticky" as it is for sponsored content. (the OP works at Costco and while I can't prove it, I am pretty sure it is a sponsored thread) otherwise, the thread is plainly deceptive.
The mods do not want to do anything about this except delete all my posts about it.

There are many times, derision was used to shut down a post because the price was not discounted enough or the OP worked at the merchant. Yet here nothing happens!

Why should I meddle as it is not my board or my business? You are right but it reeks of so much dishonesty to be silent.
6 replies
Jun 21, 2022
873 posts
1211 upvotes
Gta
andreid wrote: There is Costco West thread in the Hot Deals section with beautiful pictures of their items on sale but also many that are at regular prices and some "hot sellers".

I strongly feel that regular prices and hot sellers do not belong in the Hot Deals section.
It is misleading as many people will not see that they are everyday prices and not on-sale items.
It devalues the Hot Deal section.

The solution is to put that thread as a "sticky" as it is for sponsored content. (the OP works at Costco and while I can't prove it, I am pretty sure it is a sponsored thread) otherwise, the thread is plainly deceptive.
The mods do not want to do anything about this except delete all my posts about it.

There are many times, derision was used to shut down a post because the price was not discounted enough or the OP worked at the merchant. Yet here nothing happens!

Why should I meddle as it is not my board or my business? You are right but it reeks of so much dishonesty to be silent.
Push report. Tell mods why you feel this post is an issue.
<censored>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
7111 posts
9207 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
I feel like so much of what you said is wrong. @Thatdealguy has been doing a huge service for this community for years. He doesn't work at Costco... He takes his own time out to go there, photograph everything and upload photos. There is another site out there (coco) that charges money to people to see the ads, maybe you have it confused with that. Anyways, if you don't like it, just hide the thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1907 posts
2160 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I would like to strongly object to the OP's request. The Costco West thread from @Thatdealguy is, in my opinion, a very valuable contribution to the Hot Deals forum and it is one that I read on a regular basis. The posts have allowed me to take advantage of many excellent prices and limited-time deals that I might otherwise have missed, which is the purpose of the Hot Deals section and RfD as a whole. The fact that this week's post currently has more than 175 upvotes also speaks to its value in the eyes of the RfD community. The OP - Andreid - is entitled to their opinion, but said opinion should not have a direct and negative impact on the many, many RfD members who benefit from and participate in the discussion of the weekly deals. Andreid certainly should not be permitted to cost this site a valuable resource on the basis of unproven allegations.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
2775 posts
4681 upvotes
Vancouver
OP does not work at Costco.
It is not a sponsored thread.
Similar threads exist for Costco East, Dollarama etc. that are created weekly by other OP's. Based on the consistent number of upvotes (and the ratio of downvotes) for all the threads, they are appreciated by the vast majority who view them.
There is nothing deceptive happening. Prices are clearly displayed. Something does not have to be on-sale or on clearance to qualify as a Deal. Regular pricing can still be a deal if it happens to be cheaper than anywhere else, is just a good price in general, and sometimes these days even being in stock is enough. (eg. there was a time where posting for PS5/XBX in stock vendors was a hot deal because you just couldn't get them otherwise) Just because you individually and personally strongly feel what belongs in Hot Deals, does not make it universally so.
You can use the downvote button for any threads you don't like
You can use the report feature if you think a thread or post violates any RFD rule (should not be used just because you disagree with someone else's content or opinion)
You can choose to not visit or view any threads you dislike, and as mentioned, you can also hide them.
May 29, 2020
481 posts
819 upvotes
I look for his thread every week as it helps me decide if I want to go down to Costco. Of all injustices in the world you chose to spend your time on this.
Sep 30, 2001
29667 posts
9232 upvotes
Toronto
Op: these threads are not sponsored and they’re fine where they are. Please ignore these threads if they don’t suit you
Be kind and civil with one another

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)