None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto

re-painting or wall papering

I got a wall painted. before it was builder's paint.

now i want to change the paint color.

do i need to fully scrub it off before putting the new one on?
is there a tool that easily does it?

also do i need to do the same if i want to put on a wall paper instead?
its a 8 feet by 9 feet accent wall.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4035 posts
1985 upvotes
A belt sander usually takes paint off quick.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1435 posts
244 upvotes
Grimsby
Why would you go to the effort of removing the existing paint? Seems like a make work project. :)

If current paint is from the builder it is likely very smooth already (no little humps and bumps where owners have painted themselves perhaps) If you feel the need lightly sand with a finer paper to remove any blemishes, damp wipe and slap some paint on. If covering darker colour with light you may want an undercoat or apply 2 coats.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16196 posts
17630 upvotes
Oakville
I have some walls that are very bumpy, probably due to many coats of paint. Is sanding the only way to get it smooth again? Or maybe something to fill the bumps?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Owbist wrote: Why would you go to the effort of removing the existing paint? Seems like a make work project. :)

If current paint is from the builder it is likely very smooth already (no little humps and bumps where owners have painted themselves perhaps) If you feel the need lightly sand with a finer paper to remove any blemishes, damp wipe and slap some paint on. If covering darker colour with light you may want an undercoat or apply 2 coats.
its not from builder. this paint was do e on top of builder paint. it is dark maroon and probably has 4 coats of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1435 posts
244 upvotes
Grimsby
bsobaid wrote: its not from builder. this paint was do e on top of builder paint. it is dark maroon and probably has 4 coats of it.
In which case I would still do as I noted above regarding smoothing out any imperfections. Then apply a coat of primer paint, if necessary do a second coat before rolling on your finish colour.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1435 posts
244 upvotes
Grimsby
jabela wrote: I have some walls that are very bumpy, probably due to many coats of paint. Is sanding the only way to get it smooth again? Or maybe something to fill the bumps?
I have a wall sander like this. You buy a pack of metal screening similar to what you find on screen doors and clip on. Using this attached to a broom handle you can get some good purchase to smooth the irregularities out with less effort.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Owbist wrote: I have a wall sander like this. You buy a pack of metal screening similar to what you find on screen doors and clip on. Using this attached to a broom handle you can get some good purchase to smooth the irregularities out with less effort.
ok, so your saying I just need to smoothen the rough areas and dont necessarily need to sand th whole wall to remove the old paint before putting on the new one.
and you just visually inspect the smoothness?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12211 posts
8619 upvotes
Edmonton
pootza wrote: A belt sander usually takes paint off quick.
This is about the silliest idea I've seen in here for a long time... A belt sander would make a HUGE mess of the walls, requiring all sorts of repairs before re-painting could begin. They're way too aggressive for drywall.

C
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
You don't need to remove all layers of paint. Just repair/sand as required. Be aware that long ago, paint used to have lead added to it, so decide if you to wear a dust mask.
CNeufeld wrote: This is about the silliest idea I've seen in here for a long time... A belt sander would make a HUGE mess of the walls, requiring all sorts of repairs before re-painting could begin. They're way too aggressive for drywall.

C
+1

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16196 posts
17630 upvotes
Oakville
Owbist wrote: I have a wall sander like this. You buy a pack of metal screening similar to what you find on screen doors and clip on. Using this attached to a broom handle you can get some good purchase to smooth the irregularities out with less effort.
Ah yes, I've seen that before. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2754 posts
759 upvotes
Scarborough
pootza wrote: A belt sander usually takes paint off quick.
CNeufeld wrote: This is about the silliest idea I've seen in here for a long time... A belt sander would .....

Lost your spidey sense of humor? You need to visit home n garden more often :lol:

There's no need of priming for the surface's very well sealed/primed by the previous 4 accents coats. Just continue to roll on multiple coats of the new color until covered. Primer/sealer does NOT have as good hiding power as a finish paint.

Go buy a box of wall size (powder) which you dissolve with water and apply to the to-be-papered surface. The coating acts as a skin for easier paper removal when you're tired of it. Costs 6 bux at home hardware..
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12211 posts
8619 upvotes
Edmonton
Samwfive wrote: Lost your spidey sense of humor? You need to visit home n garden more often :lol:
My sense of humor is fine. Telling someone asking for advice to use a power tool on their walls when a hand sanding is more appropriate isn't funny. People do stupid things even without wrong advice.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11854 posts
2284 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: My sense of humor is fine. Telling someone asking for advice to use a power tool on their walls when a hand sanding is more appropriate isn't funny. People do stupid things even without wrong advice.

C
Agreed. And it could be a visitor taking that advice who doesn't go on this or other forums too often so takes things literally. Overall, any bumps, just get 100-120 Grit sand paper and sand it smooth. Not to hard. It'll smooth it out. Make sure to wear a dust mask. Dust it off with a broom as a first path, then a micro fibre cloth dust collector after. You can just shake the dust loose and make a few more passes. I have a glove version that does a good job.

As for priming, if you're using good quality paint, and want to save on the amount of coats and $$, it might help to put a primer. Especially if the existing colour is really strong, you can tint the primer so it's similar to the final colour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: Agreed. And it could be a visitor taking that advice who doesn't go on this or other forums too often so takes things literally. Overall, any bumps, just get 100-120 Grit sand paper and sand it smooth. Not to hard. It'll smooth it out. Make sure to wear a dust mask. Dust it off with a broom as a first path, then a micro fibre cloth dust collector after. You can just shake the dust loose and make a few more passes. I have a glove version that does a good job.

As for priming, if you're using good quality paint, and want to save on the amount of coats and $$, it might help to put a primer. Especially if the existing colour is really strong, you can tint the primer so it's similar to the final colour.
thx

once I put on wall paper, how can I later put on paint again? there will lots of glue.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11854 posts
2284 upvotes
Toronto
bsobaid wrote: thx

once I put on wall paper, how can I later put on paint again? there will lots of glue.
You could paint over the wall paper, but you will see the texture. As for taking off wallpaper and repainting, I'm not sure how that works. Any sticky thing should be sanded down or off to smooth it. But overall, primer should do a good job of adhering to most services.