Expired Hot Deals

[Ready To Roll Tires] All season tire bargain price 205/55R16 $340/set including labour and tax

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 1:34 pm
Apr 30, 2009
679 posts
466 upvotes
GTA
thelasthunter wrote: Not really.

Often yes. Got a set of Michelins warrantied. (Cracks in the tread, plus I hated the lack of traction of those long wearing tires.) They were about 2/3 worn, maybe 3/4.
I’m not the original purchaser (which means I should have not gotten anything).
They didn’t give me any hassles at all. Didn’t ask for any paperwork or receipts. Gave me 56% back of the price of my new (and way better) Michelins. I was expecting nothing and hoping for maybe 25%.
Yeah, I like Michelin. Picked them cause of reviews and TireRack tests (warranty claim was an afterthought when they were being replaced anyway). Nice to see they back their warranty more than they have to.

YMMV, but they were good to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1719 posts
1672 upvotes
karlb wrote: Often yes. Got a set of Michelins warrantied. (Cracks in the tread, plus I hated the lack of traction of those long wearing tires.) They were about 2/3 worn, maybe 3/4.
I’m not the original purchaser (which means I should have not gotten anything).
They didn’t give me any hassles at all. Didn’t ask for any paperwork or receipts. Gave me 56% back of the price of my new (and way better) Michelins. I was expecting nothing and hoping for maybe 25%.
Yeah, I like Michelin. Picked them cause of reviews and TireRack tests (warranty claim was an afterthought when they were being replaced anyway). Nice to see they back their warranty more than they have to.

YMMV, but they were good to me.
Its like a lot established brands who know they have stiff competition at 2/3 their cost. The ones who systamically don't know this reality and flipp off the customer are dead in the water before they even begin. Why should WE be loyal when THEY are not.
Sep 15, 2015
871 posts
821 upvotes
Abbotsford
thelasthunter wrote: Before getting the thrifty all weather Kumhos, I went with some extremely inexpensive Chinese tires from a private Brampton business, and I kid-you-not it was as useless as a bald tire. I'm pretty sure it would never pass any Canadian certification, as even a tiny bit of rain would have it slipping and sliding. After a while they were even sliding on dry roads after moderate starts. They were a death trap and I only had them for 6 months. I'm not saying that all or most off brand tires are like that, but they do exist.
Video or it didn't happen..lol
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14816 posts
4095 upvotes
London
Technically, Pirelli and Kumho are now owned by the Chinese , Michelin now imports tires made in Thailand
Nov 19, 2014
849 posts
746 upvotes
GPS - error
“Joyroad - love riding on you long time”
Nov 30, 2013
139 posts
131 upvotes
NB
l69norm wrote: Michelin now imports tires made in Thailand
Umm . . .no. Many of the Michelins in Canada for cars are made right here in NS. Sort of . . .
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5188 posts
2642 upvotes
Toronto
trixstar wrote: That's regular price LOL.

I don't see a deal anywhere. The best deal you can get for tires is at Simply Tire for the GTA region. I think there is a RFD discount right now at Simply Tire. Check the BST automotive forum. Avoid Chinese tires.
Simply hasn’t been competitive in 8+ years for me, they’ve become just like Joycity or Steelcase and living on their rep and people not shopping around.
Blazefang wrote: Pirelli and Conti are low quality tire?
They make many models of tires, some are better than others. You didn’t list the model for the Conti’s.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4343 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
warranty?...have you EVER tried to claim warranty for tires?...warranty stops once you leave any shop!

safety?...site any difference in safety between cheap no name and brand name..

tread life?...not much difference..

a lot of hearsay but I have extensive use of both types...and cheap wins out every time.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3821 posts
1341 upvotes
cardguy wrote: warranty?...have you EVER tried to claim warranty for tires?...warranty stops once you leave any shop!

safety?...site any difference in safety between cheap no name and brand name..

tread life?...not much difference..

a lot of hearsay but I have extensive use of both types...and cheap wins out every time.
Tires are routinely empirically tested for stopping distance under multiple conditions, lateral grip and wear. Name brand tires consistently win. Some times by a huge margin.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4343 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
unshavenyak wrote: Tires are routinely empirically tested for stopping distance under multiple conditions, lateral grip and wear. Name brand tires consistently win. Some times by a huge margin.
yes and brakes too...however, I was taught to drive in an era where the driver is responsible for his own action and safety...relying on tires (or other new safety features in cars) to save your own ass is just idiotic . I have never has any safety issue using cheap tires or brakes in my lifetime and I have driven well over 3 million miles . is there a ride difference?..sometimes, but that only lasts for the first 30% of the life of the tire...wear difference? depend on the tire..heck even stopping difference depends on tire too...cheap or brand name included...brand name means just that...you ARE paying for a name..how much extra?.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9928 posts
4551 upvotes
I always say dont cheap out on tires you get what you pay for and tires are important HOWEVER ive tried a couple lower end brands and there made by the large tire manufacturer anyways in most cases.Out here theres some shops selling a couple different no name brands and a couple of our neighbors run them no issues like the ride handles good and for them it was a crazy bargain.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3821 posts
1341 upvotes
cardguy wrote: yes and brakes too...however, I was taught to drive in an era where the driver is responsible for his own action and safety...relying on tires (or other new safety features in cars) to save your own ass is just idiotic . I have never has any safety issue using cheap tires or brakes in my lifetime and I have driven well over 3 million miles . is there a ride difference?..sometimes, but that only lasts for the first 30% of the life of the tire...wear difference? depend on the tire..heck even stopping difference depends on tire too...cheap or brand name included...brand name means just that...you ARE paying for a name..how much extra?.
What? You are not just paying a for brand name when the tires that consistently win on stopping distance, road noise, tread life/evenness of wear and lateral grip are consistently brand name tires. They are literally empirically better.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4343 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
unshavenyak wrote: What? You are not just paying a for brand name when the tires that consistently win on stopping distance, road noise, tread life/evenness of wear and lateral grip are consistently brand name tires. They are literally empirically better.
not always...i have done comparisons on real use..thats what I base my comments on..not "CR" reports
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3821 posts
1341 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
not always...i have done comparisons on real use..thats what I base my comments on..not "CR" reports
I dont use CR reports. I use Autobild who uses the same car to test various tires. That is about as empirical as you are going to get. Certainly better than anecdotes.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4343 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
unshavenyak wrote: I dont use CR reports. I use Autobild who uses the same car to test various tires. That is about as empirical as you are going to get. Certainly better than anecdotes.
if you call personal tests over 3 million miles driven , and another 4 million on fleet vehicles maintained "anecdotal"...that is your opinion...but i spend real money on equipment, analyse, and determine best value for the dollar...my conclusions are what I write about...I don't claim one product is safer or substandard based on what i read somewhere and repost it...i post real life experience....that is where my opinions are derived from...no biased here, just my own factual conclusions.