• Aug 22nd, 2021 9:50 pm
[OP]
Banned
May 12, 2021
105 posts
367 upvotes
Canada

[Real Canadian Superstore] 2 LB Blueberries $3.84 YMMV

2lb of blueberries in a clam shell. 'Nuff said.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 16th, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
Cheers
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Shows $5.98 for me, maybe YMMV?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3910 posts
6254 upvotes
Langley, BC
Yumm! Superstore produce!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1006 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
5.98 for me also, I think it's a West / BC thing.
Dec 5, 2013
342 posts
121 upvotes
Hamilton
local blueberry from superstore taste much better than the one imported from America, some store has blueberry from Peru are also pretty good.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2912 posts
1664 upvotes
tough crowd when blueberries are getting the down votes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
MMMM wrote: tough crowd when blueberries are getting the down votes.
yeah, its a weird one to downvote...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9197 posts
5047 upvotes
This is a great price but when I checked closer these berries were pretty squishy.

Not sure what it is with RCSS, but any time I have tried their blueberries this year, they are totally squishy.

Personally, I prefer them to be firm. Not saying unripe but I have tried the difference and I can't help but think that these blueberries are not fresh or are picked too late.

Not sure why this is the case.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20516 posts
13902 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
choclover wrote: This is a great price but when I checked closer these berries were pretty squishy.

Not sure what it is with RCSS, but any time I have tried their blueberries this year, they are totally squishy.

Personally, I prefer them to be firm. Not saying unripe but I have tried the difference and I can't help but think that these blueberries are not fresh or are picked too late.

Not sure why this is the case.
The season this year is tougher than previous years with the heat dome causing some damage to the local crops. It seems that the amount of blueberries available is down so the quality may be down as well in comparison. I know one thing for sure, the price is higher this year than last. I typically pick up bulk blueberries at a small market on 49th and Fraser where they bring in flats of berries and pour in as much as you want (sometimes more as something gets lost in the translation) and there's never a shortage and the pricing is always lower than the big box stores. This year, with Superstore's ad, the price is actually HIGHER at that small store and the amount of stock is lower than at Superstore.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3968 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
$1.67 is the sale price for a pint container at food basics in the toronto food basics flyer. ends aug 18. price match a pint container of blueberries at rcss if rcss price matches food basics stores in your area. rcss may even have better quality blueberries than food basics
Images
  • blueberries food basics.PNG
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2024 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: The season this year is tougher than previous years with the heat dome causing some damage to the local crops. It seems that the amount of blueberries available is down so the quality may be down as well in comparison. I know one thing for sure, the price is higher this year than last. I typically pick up bulk blueberries at a small market on 49th and Fraser where they bring in flats of berries and pour in as much as you want (sometimes more as something gets lost in the translation) and there's never a shortage and the pricing is always lower than the big box stores. This year, with Superstore's ad, the price is actually HIGHER at that small store and the amount of stock is lower than at Superstore.
I buy blue berries from that store at 49th and Fraser as well. Curious, what is price there that when you dropped by there last?
Thanks.
Oct 7, 2003
433 posts
222 upvotes
craftsman wrote: The season this year is tougher than previous years with the heat dome causing some damage to the local crops. It seems that the amount of blueberries available is down so the quality may be down as well in comparison. I know one thing for sure, the price is higher this year than last. I typically pick up bulk blueberries at a small market on 49th and Fraser where they bring in flats of berries and pour in as much as you want (sometimes more as something gets lost in the translation) and there's never a shortage and the pricing is always lower than the big box stores. This year, with Superstore's ad, the price is actually HIGHER at that small store and the amount of stock is lower than at Superstore.
ive been going to a farm...price is higher yes..shortage of pickers...quality down? nope...not from local farms at least...the stuff anywhere else is not even the same or close
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
15543 posts
5912 upvotes
Usually in Ontario I can find blueberries from BC at a fairly decent price ($2 per lb is my benchmark). Haven't bought any this year though. Plus it seems like "pints" are their new measurement, and 1 dry pint is less than a pound.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20516 posts
13902 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BoombasticSloth wrote: I buy blue berries from that store at 49th and Fraser as well. Curious, what is price there that when you dropped by there last?
Thanks.
$1.99 just a few days ago hence, my statement about Superstore being cheaper as with the $3.84 for two pounds. Two out of the three shops that normally have blueberries around that corner had stock. The 3rd one was sold out. I've found that Garden Fresh on the South side of 49th and Fraser to generally be cheaper than the two on the North side.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20516 posts
13902 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Usually in Ontario I can find blueberries from BC at a fairly decent price ($2 per lb is my benchmark). Haven't bought any this year though. Plus it seems like "pints" are their new measurement, and 1 dry pint is less than a pound.
I've found that the major chains typically plays games with pints instead of pure weight, especially with fruit. I try to avoid those sales when possible.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4650 posts
4145 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Shows $5.98 for me, maybe YMMV?
intx wrote: 5.98 for me also, I think it's a West / BC thing.
Was an advertised sale price in BC.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4650 posts
4145 upvotes
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Usually in Ontario I can find blueberries from BC at a fairly decent price ($2 per lb is my benchmark). Haven't bought any this year though. Plus it seems like "pints" are their new measurement, and 1 dry pint is less than a pound.
craftsman wrote: I've found that the major chains typically plays games with pints instead of pure weight, especially with fruit. I try to avoid those sales when possible.
Can you elaborate?!? Pint is a size and not weight. I look for containers that look the fullest and buy those. I know their is also a weight on the packaging but it's usually advertised as a pint of raspberry, blackberry or whatever...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
muffin4life wrote: Was an advertised sale price in BC.
Would have been a great thing to add too the original post, there wasn't even a YMMV when I posted.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20516 posts
13902 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
muffin4life wrote: Can you elaborate?!? Pint is a size and not weight. I look for containers that look the fullest and buy those. I know their is also a weight on the packaging but it's usually advertised as a pint of raspberry, blackberry or whatever...
The easiest way to elaborate is to use salt as an example. I know it seems strange to use salt but wait until the finish....

Salt typically comes in 3 sizes - table salt where the individual crystals are very small and uniform in size, course/household salt where the crystals are larger but still fairly uniform in size, and pickling/kosher salt where the crystals are much larger and aren't very uniform in size. All three types of salt are the same chemically - NaCl. If you take a teaspoon of each, you'll find that table salt will have the most salt while kosher/pickling will have the least. Therefore, by volume, table salt will yield the most salt by weight.

The same principle happens with fruit - you could get the 'same' volume of fruit but end up with less fruit if you get a pint of X rather than Y g.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)