[Real Canadian Superstore] AAA prime rib cap off $5.47 ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 2:08 pm
Nov 21, 2016
20 posts
12 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 1:14 pm
How was the quality? This is my closest store.
Unfortunately, I'm in the process of researching and purchasing a larger freezer, and might not be able to pull off a massive purchase within the confines of this sale.
Bah humbug!
While I haven't cooked it yet, the quality looked great! The butchers were very patient and let the shoppers take a look at the meat before picking which one we wanted. I asked them to trim some of the fat off as well before they weighed it. My freezer is actually out of space too... luckily, I have my parents' freezer where I can store my extra meat. I took advantage of the deal last time as well - if you can't store it, you should at least pick up one to cook over the holidays. It's amazing.
Mar 31, 2013
42 posts
6 upvotes
jeff118 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:54 pm
I've been waiting for this deal to come back. Thanks OP and thanks as well to the poster who recommended asking the butcher for the full side. I was at Weston and 401 yesterday and picked one up. If people area really keen on getting more than 2, there's a self checkout there and I'm not sure how they can enforce the limit when you scan your own items. This would also be a good question in the ethical debate going on.... if you scanned it yourself, would you scan the barcode once or twice?
The main butcher at the Weston and 401 store is named Vittorio....he's amazing..he will go in the back and take one out of the cryovac and trim it up any way you like....cut off the chine bone...cut it off the bone and tie it back together....I've been going to him exclusively over the past 3 years..great man..kind and polite!
Apr 22, 2010
132 posts
62 upvotes
I was watching for this deal.

Wife picked up a couple smaller roasts thursday afternoon at RCSS in Ottawa east. Got the points, I'm happy. With the points, this was a better deal for us than the sale a couple months ago.

She told me the other roasts in the freezer at the time were all large ($50+).

---

We do the reverse sear, low-and-slow cook. It's simple, easy, and has been reliable for an excellent roast. We'll use one roast around new years for an easy extended family meal.

Thanks for the post!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1214 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
Do they bring in new stock every day? I was thinking of going tomorrow but no point if already sold out...
Apr 8, 2008
14 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
just got one at RCSS mavis/401. Went to counter for cryovac, they gave me a discount since it was cryovac 8.80/kg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5844 posts
1760 upvotes
pepsi86 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:31 pm
can anyone confirm if there is stock at the steeles and dufferin rcss?
I was there at 5pm today - they had plenty. They also had them cut into steaks but the price was significantly higher.
May 12, 2004
705 posts
39 upvotes
baiandsail wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 5:02 pm
Which location did you happen to go to be able to purchase whole piece In the cryovac seal?
Sorry for late reply Don Mills Eglinton
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
Went to STC location and the butcher Joe said they inly had 2 or 3 bone pieces, nothing larger. He was kind enough to bring out some fresh pieces for me to choose from this morning.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1246 posts
104 upvotes
Bought a couple of these from Scarborough Town Centre location last night.

The sign said they were either AAA grade or "USDA Choice Grade".

The package sticker didn't indicate which grade each piece was but there didn't seem to be much marbling in the ones I saw

What's the difference between these grades?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2084 upvotes
bobor wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:49 am

The package sticker didn't indicate which grade each piece was but there didn't seem to be much marbling in the ones I saw

Ones Canadian the other American
Oct 31, 2013
13 posts
3 upvotes
Port Hope
bobor wrote:

instead of AA and AAA they call it Choice and Prime
Feb 1, 2010
7 posts
3 upvotes
Hamilton
I did a practice run yesterday and it was delicious
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2229 posts
843 upvotes
Sudbury
bobor wrote:

Canada uses the AA, AAA, Prime etc to grade beef.

The US uses Select, Choice, Prime, etc to grade beef.
In conclusion, the Canada Prime grade is virtually identical to the U.S.D.A. Prime grade, except that the Canadian grade does not allow dark coloured meat, yellow fat, older animals, or other off-quality characteristics. The Canada AAA grade is virtually identical to the U.S.D.A. Choice grade, except that the Canadian grade does not allow dark coloured meat, yellow fat, older animals, or other off-quality characteristics. The grade, but again the Canadian grade does not allow dark coloured meat, yellow fat, or other off-quality characteristics. The Canada A grade is unique to Canada in that there is less marbling but all other quality attributes are still present. This particular grade is well suited to those consumers now wishing to limit their level of fat intake while still wishing to enjoy the eating experience of high quality grain-fed beef.

The Government of Canada (Canadian Food Inspection Agency), in consultation with the Canadian beef industry, is constantly reviewing regulations to ensure that the safety and marketability of Canadian beef is maintained and improved. A consultation mechanism is in place which permits input from all sectors of the industry with regard to concerns about the inspection and grading systems.
NOTE: Canada has stricter regulations with grading beef than the US.

MORE BEEF GRADING INFO HERE....HAVE A READ
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3775 posts
1417 upvotes
If it ever look like the freezer is low on prime rib, just talk to the butchers at the counter. They are likely preparing more in the back and haven't bothered to bring it out. They literally brought out like 30pc to the outside fridge when I asked them if they had any more.

The beef this time around is smaller cuts than the last several times. I have read that more mature cows tastes better - you get more taste from the beef.
Avatar removed for rule violation - Mods
Penalty Box
Apr 23, 2017
298 posts
184 upvotes
In the West here. Had a personal 20% off beef offer so I drove to 3 Superstores to find one that had prime rib roasts available. Also got 2 tenderloins.

Did NOT get the 20% in points on my tenderloins, only got it for the roasts. Got 15,000 points per tenderloin as expected.

Does the 20% in points not stack with the 15,000 points? I can't see it mentioned anywhere that they don't stack.

Filed a missing points complaint.