• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 1:15 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2013
141 posts
351 upvotes
White City

[Real Canadian Superstore] Amazon Fire 7" 16 GB Tablet - $39.98

Available (limit 2) in the Superstore West flyer Aug 13th to 19th.

Screenshot_20210812-220456_PC Optimum.jpg
79 replies
Sep 26, 2013
538 posts
1046 upvotes
Wonder which generation this is. May buy one to watch YouTube.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2013
141 posts
351 upvotes
White City
azraelluz wrote: Wonder which generation this is. May buy one to watch YouTube.

When I searched the item number in the flyer, 21205814, it brings up the 2019 version on Amazon's site.

https://www.amazon.ca › fire-7-tablet
Web results
Fire 7 Tablet, 7" display, 16 GB, latest model (2019 release), Black ...
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1558 upvotes
Only 1GB RAM, possibly large MP3/Music Player -

External volume controls, built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP compatible stereo headphones, speakers, microphone, and LE accessories support

Amazon Link to Spec
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24318 posts
31185 upvotes
Good deal, great burner tablet.

Reasonable expectations and you'll be pleased.

Nice find, OP.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3078 posts
3038 upvotes
Any way to use this as a dedicated GPS in a car? Something that I can always keep plugged in and that auto-wakes itself from deep-sleep when it receives power?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24318 posts
31185 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Any way to use this as a dedicated GPS in a car? Something that I can always keep plugged in and that auto-wakes itself from deep-sleep when it receives power?
You'll need a USB or Bluetooth GPS receiver of some kind. The closest thing I found was on AliExpress.

If you folks have suggestions, I'm open-minded.
Sep 26, 2013
538 posts
1046 upvotes
What's the user case for this spec? I had an old 1 gb device. Open YouTube or Netflix takes 1 minute and play video is extremely lagging. It's not usable.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3924 posts
1376 upvotes
Belle River
frugal69 wrote: Only 1GB RAM, possibly large MP3/Music Player -

External volume controls, built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP compatible stereo headphones, speakers, microphone, and LE accessories support

Amazon Link to Spec
Does sleep become a problem when you use a tablet or phone as an MP3/music player for long periods of time? Say like a party when it's playing music for hours.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6637 posts
5303 upvotes
M-Arkham
frugal69 wrote: Only 1GB RAM, possibly large MP3/Music Player -

Amazon Link to Spec
if it's 1GB, then it's a bit lacking.... need at least 2gb to be a decent youtube/web browsing tablet.
1x Virgin $35 for 20GB unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt n 1000 int min
1x Fido $45 for 20Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1558 upvotes
hystavito wrote: Does sleep become a problem when you use a tablet or phone as an MP3/music player for long periods of time? Say like a party when it's playing music for hours.
Maybe turn screensaver OFF, or enable screen always ON - Not sure as I don't have one.
Brewmeanie wrote: if it's 1GB, then it's a bit lacking.... need at least 2gb to be a decent youtube/web browsing tablet.
Can play Youtube and Amazon Prime, Netflix OK - REVIEW HERE - not great reviews, but it's only $40
Last edited by frugal69 on Aug 13th, 2021 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2020
33 posts
53 upvotes
I agree with other posters about this being underpowered but it is a sweet deal. However in my opinion it's better to wait on SDM bonus points event I got the HD 8 for an effective $60 or so. It's been good for everything I've wanted - light digital art, YouTube, stardew valley, Google sheets stuff and really good size for browsing flipp.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2016
1569 posts
4001 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Any way to use this as a dedicated GPS in a car? Something that I can always keep plugged in and that auto-wakes itself from deep-sleep when it receives power?
Yes, I use the Fire HD 8 as a headunit.

It requires a fair bit of tech know how to accomplish but entirely possible.

I would not recommend leaving it in your car as the battery can explode with heat. Or some idiot will think it's an iPad and break your window, which is probably worth more than the tablet lol.

This deal is great, I have two TVs and wanted an extra remote for my Shield. The remote alone is $45. This one can be used as a dedicated remote + anything more is a bonus.

Edit: Bummer, it's a micro USB charging port and not USB C, too much of an inconvenience to charge so will have to pass.
Last edited by DeltaSingh on Aug 13th, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2569 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
azraelluz wrote: What's the user case for this spec? I had an old 1 gb device. Open YouTube or Netflix takes 1 minute and play video is extremely lagging. It's not usable.

Add a SD card and load your own videos on it along with a media player. Get Caliber and load your books on it for a fair portable reader that can do email, social media and light browsing when you find some free WiFi.

I used to use my 7" Kobo tablet to watch Movies or TV I had loaded on to it when I was at the laundromat every week. Then I scored an Amazon HD 10 and while it is a much better viewing experience I would NOT want to commute daily with a tablet that large. That is just me though.

It is 40 bucks for a screen that is probably not much bigger that most people's phones these days, and that lack of ram makes it slower likely. That being said it still could have good case uses for some people. IF the Facebook messenger app works on it. It would be the perfect gift for any family member in LTC who can't afford anything more expensive. Use the free Wifi most homes provide and they could use it to video chat with family.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3362 posts
5345 upvotes
GTA North
Canuck2fan wrote: Add a SD card and load your own videos on it along with a media player. Get Caliber and load your books on it for a fair portable reader that can do email, social media and light browsing when you find some free WiFi.

I used to use my 7" Kobo tablet to watch Movies or TV I had loaded on to it when I was at the laundromat every week. Then I scored an Amazon HD 10 and while it is a much better viewing experience I would NOT want to commute daily with a tablet that large. That is just me though.

It is 40 bucks for a screen that is probably not much bigger that most people's phones these days, and that lack of ram makes it slower likely. That being said it still could have good case uses for some people. IF the Facebook messenger app works on it. It would be the perfect gift for any family member in LTC who can't afford anything more expensive. Use the free Wifi most homes provide and they could use it to video chat with family.
What is the largest offical supported memory card it will support? What about largest unoffical support?
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24318 posts
31185 upvotes
This thread would be 5 pages by now if this were the HD 8.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
14534 posts
31222 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: This thread would be 5 pages by now if this were the HD 8.
Heck yah , the 7 is a bit limited but hey it's $40