Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

Amazon Fire 7" 16 GB Tablet - $39.98

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 1:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8898 posts
5887 upvotes
Global Village
DougO wrote: Nice price for a cheap tab. Might have to look into it but then, Amazon Prime Day in Canada should be coming along in a few months, so maybe holdoff and see what goes on sale then?
They cancelled prime day in Canada this year. But I'm expecting a Black Friday sale on the Fire 8 HD 32GB for $69.99.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23783 posts
8554 upvotes
scoper wrote: They cancelled prime day in Canada this year. But I'm expecting a Black Friday sale on the Fire 8 HD 32GB for $69.99.
Had to look that up. You are right. Still, don't really NEED any more hardware. Tripping over things as it is. Still haven't hooked up my 2nd PS5. Just sitting here in it's box...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2578 posts
1324 upvotes
Hometown
thedealhunter2000 wrote: What is the largest offical supported memory card it will support? What about largest unoffical support?
I do not know.... I don't have the 7 I have the 8 and 10. I can't remember what size SD cards I had lying around that I threw in them. I don't use either to "store" media. I watch what I load on then I delete it the next time I load something.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3074 posts
678 upvotes
Pickering
I have a use for this so I went by the RCSS in Ajax today, what a joke, all the electronics is now behind a door locked up in customer service. Rep brought out the wrong one (32gb) after showing her the ad, 5 mins later brought out the 16gb and it scanned at $80, had a nice 5 min talk about it's the same one in the ad but she insisted it was a different SKU, hahaha. So, just in case anyone wants to check the Ajax store don't bother unless you want a good conversation about honoring advertised pricing :).

Went next door to Best Buy and they took a few mins to price match it, done.

Thanks OP.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24797 posts
32536 upvotes
night blade wrote: I have a use for this so I went by the RCSS in Ajax today, what a joke, all the electronics is now behind a door locked up in customer service. Rep brought out the wrong one (32gb) after showing her the ad, 5 mins later brought out the 16gb and it scanned at $80, had a nice 5 min talk about it's the same one in the ad but she insisted it was a different SKU, hahaha. So, just in case anyone wants to check the Ajax store don't bother unless you want a good conversation about honoring advertised pricing :).

Thanks OP.
RCSS stretches my patience.

A good old BestBuy price match still warms the heart.

It's nice to have a Frisbee throwaway tablet, for those in between times.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Aug 13th, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16811 posts
7489 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: They cancelled prime day in Canada this year. But I'm expecting a Black Friday sale on the Fire 8 HD 32GB for $69.99.
It's not canceled, just delayed, will likely happen in October or November, depending on the Covid situation.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16811 posts
7489 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, this won't even do 720p, hard pass even at this price.

Resolution: (1024 x 600 (171 ppi) )

You're stuck with 480p video.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24797 posts
32536 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Oh, this won't even do 720p, hard pass even at this price.

Resolution: (1024 x 600 (171 ppi) )

You're stuck with 480p video.
It'll downsample 720p, you're fine.

This is a Frisbee throwaway, one step above hot garbage.

I owned the 2014 model ages ago and found it usable, you'll survive.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16811 posts
7489 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: It'll downsample 720p, you're fine.

This is a Frisbee throwaway, one step above hot garbage.

I owned the 2014 model ages ago and found it usable, you'll survive.
YMMV I guess. Hard pass for me.
Jan 16, 2005
555 posts
320 upvotes
Hamilton
night blade wrote: I have a use for this so I went by the RCSS in Ajax today, what a joke, all the electronics is now behind a door locked up in customer service. Rep brought out the wrong one (32gb) after showing her the ad, 5 mins later brought out the 16gb and it scanned at $80, had a nice 5 min talk about it's the same one in the ad but she insisted it was a different SKU, hahaha. So, just in case anyone wants to check the Ajax store don't bother unless you want a good conversation about honoring advertised pricing :).

Thanks OP.
Yeah I spent more than a few minutes in the Grimsby one and not finding anyone to ask until I went to the Service desk and she said oh yeah they are right here locked up. The 16 GB scanned at 40 right away there though, so not an issue.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24797 posts
32536 upvotes
geech wrote: Yeah I spent more than a few minutes in the Grimsby one and not finding anyone to ask until I went to the Service desk and she said oh yeah they are right here locked up. The 16 GB scanned at 40 right away there though, so not an issue.
A trip after work for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2448 posts
916 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: It's not canceled, just delayed, will likely happen in October or November, depending on the Covid situation.
They cancelled it...I am Amazon seller and they sent us email saying it's cancelled this year.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23783 posts
8554 upvotes
Found them at the customer service desk in the lock up. First one scanned at $89.99. Second one was in a plastic bag. That one scanned at $39.99. Picked up 2. Could have picked up more but didn't need them. This could be useful at work where I'm constantly checking my phone for product...except at 5 inches, it's too small for me. 7 inch should be better. Doesn't need to be speedy, just need to have it work. But because I also have Amazon Prime Music, it could do for me listening to music at work. For $40, it's okay. Just have to explore more things with it.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24797 posts
32536 upvotes
DougO wrote: Found them at the customer service desk in the lock up. First one scanned at $89.99. Second one was in a plastic bag. That one scanned at $39.99. Picked up 2. Could have picked up more but didn't need them. This could be useful at work where I'm constantly checking my phone for product...except at 5 inches, it's too small for me. 7 inch should be better. Doesn't need to be speedy, just need to have it work. But because I also have Amazon Prime Music, it could do for me listening to music at work. For $40, it's okay. Just have to explore more things with it.
Tremendous. Reasonable expectations and you'll do well.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24797 posts
32536 upvotes
Alright, I picked up the last one at my nearby store.

Now what?

Edit: I like the form factor a lot. What a difference an inch makes over regular phones.

Looks to be:
- An eReader Alternative for $40
- A Light Media Device (SD & 720p video watching)
- Great for News, Browsing, Emails, Docs
- Comics, Manga [Who reads this stuff?]

Edit 2: For the price, this is a great device. I might wipe it and gift it to a friend. Very nice for $40. I don't think I'm going to de-bloat this one, the stock Amazon ROM seems to fit this use case.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23783 posts
8554 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Alright, I picked up the last one at my nearby store.

Now what?

Edit: I like the form factor a lot. What a difference an inch makes over regular phones.

Looks to be:
- An eReader Alternative for $40
- A Light Media Device (SD & 720p video watching)
- Great for News, Browsing, Emails, Docs
- Comics, Manga [Who reads this stuff?]

Edit 2: For the price, this is a great device. I might wipe it and gift it to a friend. Very nice for $40. I don't think I'm going to de-bloat this one, the stock Amazon ROM seems to fit this use case.
Manga? We sell a ton of them every week in the store I work at. I have to ship out a box or two to people all over Canada every couple days. They probably want the ones we have because they are out of print. Digital i would not know. I used to read comics on my 10" iPad. Not quite the same as having them in print but nice to be able to have thousands of them without having to dig them out...
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24797 posts
32536 upvotes
DougO wrote: Manga? We sell a ton of them every week in the store I work at. I have to ship out a box or two to people all over Canada every couple days. They probably want the ones we have because they are out of print. Digital i would not know. I used to read comics on my 10" iPad. Not quite the same as having them in print but nice to be able to have thousands of them without having to dig them out...
I was joking about who reads them.

They're very popular in North America, and immensely popular in Japan (their obvious origination). Right from tweens to 50-something salarymen, reading manga.

This device is underated. Sure it's a little slow, but not horribly, and Android closes background tasks that consume too much RAM, or you can periodically clean them up yourself.

This tablet is the one iteration of Amazon Fire HD that has me leaning towards keeping the stock Amazon ROM, as it's probably less useful as a vanilla Android device.

No wonder I only managed to get one, the RFDers had cleaned out local RCSS stores. The little lady did her sleuthing and found one, I shared my gratitude, praised her for going the extra mile, and left before closing.

Either this gets gifted, or it's a third dashboard screen, we'll see where this ends up.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23783 posts
8554 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I was joking about who reads them.

They're very popular in North America, and immensely popular in Japan (their obvious origination). Right from tweens to 50-something salarymen, reading manga.

This device is underated. Sure it's a little slow, but not horribly, and Android closes background tasks that consume too much RAM, or you can periodically clean them up yourself.

This tablet is the one iteration of Amazon Fire HD that has me leaning towards keeping the stock Amazon ROM, as it's probably less useful as a vanilla Android device.

No wonder I only managed to get one, the RFDers had cleaned out local RCSS stores. The little lady did her sleuthing and found one, I shared my gratitude, praised her for going the extra mile, and left before closing.

Either this gets gifted, or it's a third dashboard screen, we'll see where this ends up.
Yes, it's strange. When I first got into anime, there was nothing. Maybe you could find the odd book at a Japanese bookstore, if there was one in your area. Maybe the odd kid's record. Definitely, nothing in English. Not much on TV other than Star Blazers and Albator (Space Pirate Captain Harlock). Now, the whole world seems awash in it. Seems strange there was a time where it was a truly culty thing, where you really had to seek out people who then you could get into the fold as it were. Reminiscences of an old man...