• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2019 10:02 pm
Apr 7, 2011
617 posts
348 upvotes
ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 11:09 pm

All I am doing is trying to provide some awareness. That's all.
More like spreading bullshit. Got any proof that any rice on the market is GMO? Doubt it!
Feb 16, 2003
448 posts
46 upvotes
Can anyone confirms if this is store specific?
WTB:
Nov 20, 2017
242 posts
303 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
1) Please cite.
2) This is a topic that is pretty in depth and extreme. Some of us dont want GMO food. If you disagree with me/us then I respect your decision, but I certainly don't chase $0.39 corn either...

1) Please cite yourself. From the walmart product page, it's Non-GMO certified..

2) Awareness of what? As you said, it's so in-depth and extreme that anything but a case-by-case analysis of each and every GMO product is reckless armchair science. Yes, some GMOs are bad; some GMOs have also saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives. A blanket "I don't GMO" is a personal choice, but not informed enough to preach.
Nov 26, 2008
614 posts
183 upvotes
GTA
Im going to have to watch this thread for quality rices to buy now.
Dec 25, 2017
102 posts
123 upvotes
Just bought two, was planning to buy 4, but it seemed OOS as of 745am this morning
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2336 posts
2336 upvotes
stcv3 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 11:41 pm
More like spreading bullshit. Got any proof that any rice on the market is GMO? Doubt it!
You operate life assuming everything you buy is non GMO? That's bullshit indeed.

If it doesn't have a label you don't know if it is or isn't. That's a fact.

For something like rice which needs fending off against a slew of bugs you immediately think the rice that you're buying which is not indicative of it it is or is not GMO is in fact not GMO? Well then.

Someone brought up the Walmart product page. Fair, although Botan sells a line of non GMO rice. No one here including me knows whether or not the rice sold for this deal is gmo or not.

I find it hypocritical that many on RFD refuse to buy three cent corn on special but will jump on this deal. It must be nice not knowing all of the hazards that lie with rice.

A simple two second google search will tell you everything you need to know about rice.

As far as what's wrong with gmo rice? That's a personal question. I avoid that like I do genetically modified salmon which is allowed to be sold in Canada without a label. Are you all ok with the latter too?

I am not.

PS There is no need to be defensive if you are OK with GMO foods. Just go ahead and buy it. You don't need 100% buy in from strangers on the internet.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Jul 3, 2017
66 posts
106 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 8:30 am
You operate life assuming everything you buy is non GMO? That's bullshit indeed.

If it doesn't have a label you don't know if it is or isn't. That's a fact.

For something like rice which needs fending off against a slew of bugs you immediately think the rice that you're buying which is not indicative of it it is or is not GMO is in fact not GMO? Well then.
Imagine being so paranoid that you think the GMO bogeyman is in every food unless proven otherwise.

"In 2000, the first two GM rice varieties both with herbicide-resistance, called LLRice60 and LLRice62, were approved in the United States. Later, these and other types of herbicide-resistant GM rice were approved in Canada, Australia, Mexico and Colombia. However, none of these approvals triggered commercialization. Reuters reported in 2009 that China had granted biosafety approval to GM rice with pest resistance,[4] but that strain was not commercialized. As of December 2012 GM rice was not widely available for production or consumption."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_rice
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 8:30 am
I find it hypocritical that many on RFD refuse to buy three cent corn on special but will jump on this deal. It must be nice not knowing all of the hazards that lie with rice.

A simple two second google search will tell you everything you need to know about rice.
Please enlighten us on on the risks of GMO rice. Oh, and "two second google search" isn't a valid source.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2336 posts
2336 upvotes
SamuelNapper wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 11:57 am
Imagine being so paranoid that you think the GMO bogeyman is in every food unless proven otherwise.

"In 2000, the first two GM rice varieties both with herbicide-resistance, called LLRice60 and LLRice62, were approved in the United States. Later, these and other types of herbicide-resistant GM rice were approved in Canada, Australia, Mexico and Colombia. However, none of these approvals triggered commercialization. Reuters reported in 2009 that China had granted biosafety approval to GM rice with pest resistance,[4] but that strain was not commercialized. As of December 2012 GM rice was not widely available for production or consumption."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_rice

Please enlighten us on on the risks of GMO rice. Oh, and "two second google search" isn't a valid source.
Using Wikipedia to source on one hand and then asking me to enlighten you on the risks of GMO rice on the other (when the same can be said that there is no concrete proof that GMO corn is bad for you either) is a terrible way to respond to my post.

Health Canada for one, just approved Golden Rice (GMO rice) in Canada, even though it's not meant to be sold here. That was as recent as 2018.

It is a correct understanding that GMO rice is not readily available (At least in Canada), but personally I'm not willing to take the chance. CpTI resistent rice is even undergoing trials in rice. Sure, not mass produced yet or consumed, but I would rather not take risks.

I don't get why you're so defensive. I have no desire to check if the rice I am buying is GMO or not every time, so I'll stick with ones with a label.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Nov 21, 2014
611 posts
623 upvotes
Atlantic
rofl only on rfd do you see a hot deal on rice turn into GMO argument

The hot deal on rice is already pretty funny, throw in the GMO and it's hilarious! LOL!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7945 posts
1016 upvotes
I'm at the RCSS Aurora and the Botans cleaned out.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Jan 12, 2017
102 posts
62 upvotes
vancouver
Winkle wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 1:00 pm
I'm at the RCSS Aurora and the Botans cleaned out.
That is because angryaudifanatic made some of us 2nd guess ourselves and went on ahead to clean it out him/herself Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Feb 28, 2006
631 posts
90 upvotes
grabbed one bag from the store near the scarborough town center, scanned the price , it is 11.97, then just took one bag
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1516 posts
1051 upvotes
Waterloo
angryaudifanatic wrote:
1) Please cite.
2) This is a topic that is pretty in depth and extreme. Some of us dont want GMO food. If you disagree with me/us then I respect your decision, but I certainly don't chase $0.39 corn either...

You're using the word GMO rather loosey loosey. Everything you eat is GMO. The bananas, apples, rice, and vegetables. You think bananas naturally grow that big? You think those bell peppers are naturally occurring? Humans have spent thousands of years modifying and selectively breeding our food to get better yields/taste.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2336 posts
2336 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 1:28 pm
You're using the word GMO rather loosey loosey. Everything you eat is GMO. The bananas, apples, rice, and vegetables. You think bananas naturally grow that big? You think those bell peppers are naturally occurring? Humans have spent thousands of years modifying and selectively breeding our food to get better yields/taste.
Selective breeding and GMO are two different things. Genetically modified corn is NOT achieved by selective breeding. It is actual genetic manipulation.

If you're going to attack someone for using a term "loosey loosey" it would be helpful if you understood what you were saying first.
Apr 7, 2011
617 posts
348 upvotes
ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 12:26 pm

It is a correct understanding that GMO rice is not readily available (At least in Canada), but personally I'm not willing to take the chance. CpTI resistent rice is even undergoing trials in rice. Sure, not mass produced yet or consumed, but I would rather not take risks.

I don't get why you're so defensive. I have no desire to check if the rice I am buying is GMO or not every time, so I'll stick with ones with a label.
So what you're saying is even though there's 99.9% chance that the rice the OP posted is not GMO, you are not gonna buy it? Good for you! Just leaves more for the rest of us not wearing tin foil hats.

Calrose rice is not genetically engineered. End of story!