• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 3:17 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2003
80 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto ON

[Real Canadian Superstore] Igloo BMX 25 Cooler $64.99 YMMV

Found an Igloo BMX 25 Quart cooler at Superstore on Walker Road in Windsor for $64.99. Same cooler is $98 on Amazon currently.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077Y84VR9/ref ... Q1S2RPZDMT

It gets good reviews as a low cost cooler where you don’t want to spend money on a Yeti, Kong, Chilly Moose or Icey Tech. 2/3 day ice retention based on you tube reviews.

There were 4 left when I was there yesterday.
Images
  • A71D4A6F-075E-41FD-B341-ED0B9FA33453.png
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3366 posts
5345 upvotes
GTA North
Some more info which would be useful for those that don't own a car and have to carry/bike this arround.
1.0 out of 5 stars Really Thin Insulation
Reviewed in Canada on April 10, 2019
Color Name: Carbonite Gray/Carbonite Blue, Blue/BlackVerified Purchase
Looks nice but the walls are much thinner than rotomould coolers. The insulating factor is much less and I suspect it doesn't hold ice as long as yeti, pelican or orca coolers.

Tested the cooler at 80F and a bag of ice only lasted hours.
sandra l. marshall
2.0 out of 5 stars Not as promised
Reviewed in Canada on January 29, 2021
Simply doesn't do what it promised. Ice melts after day and a half not the promised 3-4 days. Otherwise attractive sturdy cooler but I already have an igloo. Unless you simply need a new cooler, save yourself the money. If your looking for one to keep ice, shop elsewhere

This review gives more details and given the heatwave in southern Ontario this week you can have a rough gauge of how it will far in the 40-41C temps.
Mangostan
4.0 out of 5 stars Great cooler with some design flaws.
Reviewed in Canada on August 30, 2020
I bought this instead of a yeti or pelican because we never go away for more than 3 days. We roadtested this on a 3 Day Canoe and camping trip. We precooled it and it kept everything cold for all 3 days with a maxcold freezer block from igloo. The air temperature was around 17-20 C . My only quibble is that the holes to tie it down are all in the lid so if ever you want access to what is inside you need to untie it. It would be good to add some tie down holes on the lower part.
Seems like this cooler will last about 17-24hrs if exposed to the full sun and no shade. For those that are fishing we don't always have shade and thus coolers are fully exposed all the time. If you've fished on the wave breakers or long piers to access the deeper waters you'll know what I mean. This week would be a good torture test of how well the cooler would preform.

Measuring 19.59” L x 13.25” W x 15.70” H, the BMX Cooler from Igloo is perfect for any tailgate party, camping adventure, or fishing getaway. Whether you gift this cooler to a loved one or you’re treating yourself, you’ll find that it was engineered for sturdiness and performance to stand up to tough conditions.
rand Igloo
Material Plastic
Colour Carbonite Gray/Carbonite Blue, Blue/Black
Product Dimensions 49.73 x 39.85 x 33.63 cm; 5.12 Kilograms
Capacity 19 liters
About this item

Heavy duty blow-molded construction with reinforced base for increased strength and protection
Extremely durable yet lightweight with proven 4-5 day ice retention
Uv inhibitors protect the cooler against sun damage for extended life
Rust-Resistant, stainless-steel hinge rods and hardware provide extended performance
Rubberized t-grip latches keep lid secure

› See more product details
19 quart
5.12kg / 11.28lbs

I did some looking around and it seems DeWalt has a 10quart rotomolded cooler for those looking for a more smaller portable (not to mention easier to put into the fridge for pre-cool instead of using ice) and lighter cooler at 7.95 lbs.

https://www.amazon.ca/DeWalt-10-Roto-Mo ... 278PV?th=1
Brand DEWALT
Material Plastic
Colour DeWalt Yellow
Product Dimensions 43 x 28.4 x 28.19 cm; 3.61 Kilograms
Capacity 10 quarts
About this item

T.O.U.G.H. Roto Mold Design stands up to the roughest treatment and ensures temperature optimization under great heat
Easy-Open Cam Latch System provides secure closure and the reinforced insulation provides superior ice retention that keeps food and drink cold for days
Heavy duty Handle for comfortable transporting and integrated Bottle Opener for convenience
Accessory Friendly - Integrated Ice Pack Storage Area (Dimension: 17.09" (L) x 11.18" (W) x 11.1" (H); Weight: 7.95 lbs)
Perfect for taking to the job site, backyard barbeques, campgrounds, sporting events, etc

Report incorrect product information.

For those looking for a smaller cooler then check out ENGEL. They have 7.5 quart coolers that are light well recieved by those that go out fishing. Tho they are not rotomolded but if size to weight for the preformance we important.

https://engelcoolers.com/collections/dry-boxes

EDIT: Don't forget water is 8lbs per 1 gallon (3.78L) so keep that in mind when you're buying ice and loading up the cooler. The weight can add up quick pending what you put in there. You want a 2 parts ice to 1 part food/drink item you want to keep cool.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
[OP]
Oct 14, 2003
80 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto ON
I ran a rough test. Popped a bag of ice in it yesterday around noon, left it outdoors in full sun and there is still some ice in it now (28 hours later). Outside temps were 34 degrees yesterday and 32 today. The outside surface of the cooler reached 35 yesterday.

All in all, not bad.

I’m happy with it for my needs. I don’t fish. It’s for a few beers and a couple of nights of camping at most.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)