• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Aug 17, 2011
172 posts
132 upvotes
TORONTO

[Real Canadian Superstore] Maple Leaf Sausage Meat Roll - $0.14

For the brave among us, I saw these at Superstore at Dufferin and Steeles, frozen 500g roll of sausage meat for 14cents! I’m guessing they’re clearing them out because the stated expiry date is Feb 24.

I didn’t buy any nor have I tried them before, just passing this along...
Images
  • 88977346-3988-464F-BFE3-FA39866512ED.jpeg
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 25th, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sausage*
57 replies
Feb 18, 2014
503 posts
300 upvotes
I would've give that stuff to my dog even if the expiry date was months in advance.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14465 posts
9260 upvotes
Markham
bobby621 wrote: I would've give that stuff to my dog even if the expiry date was months in advance.
Dogs shouldn't eat sausage meat in general....salt, spices aren't good for them.

Nothing really wrong with sausage meat for us humans IMO. Do you ever eat out?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 26, 2003
593 posts
454 upvotes
GTA
bobby621 wrote: I would've give that stuff to my dog even if the expiry date was months in advance.
Ingredients
pork; water, toasted wheat crumbs, salt, cane sugar, spice.

The ingredient list doesn't look very offensive to me. My McDonald's sausage burrito this morning probably had comparable sausage product inside.
Banned
Nov 2, 2006
90 posts
186 upvotes
Montreal
Processed meat is linked to cancer.
Mar 23, 2017
752 posts
1350 upvotes
Toronto
KpoT wrote: Processed meat is linked to cancer.
Isnt everything? Red meat in general, pesticides on the majority of produce we eat, the air we breathe with exhaust fumes in it, the packaging used on almost everything, preservatives in general, sweetener
Nov 26, 2003
593 posts
454 upvotes
GTA
Processed as in curing with preservatives, not mechanically processed. Show me the sodium nitrite in the ingredient list.
Banned
Dec 15, 2018
252 posts
696 upvotes
Meat is actually very tasty. I make sausage meat sandwiches with this. My wife held an All Girls Night party recently and she was telling me that my meat sandwiches which melt in your mouth were the hit of the party!
Feb 14, 2019
18 posts
14 upvotes
Lawrence Park, ON
Time for some scotch eggs
Banned
Dec 15, 2018
252 posts
696 upvotes
willdaman wrote: I’m guessing they’re clearing them out because the stated expiry date is Feb 24.
Should be no issues with the sausage meat for another month or so past the expiry date.
Hell of a deal!
Feb 18, 2014
503 posts
300 upvotes
Pork meat, yes, but from where.
Bits of scraps that the saw blade spits out while it's cutting hogs in portion cuts with a bit of trim.
Guys don't fool yourself, the so called "pork meat" that they use in these sausages is disgusting, I worked in the industry for 20 years.

As for sodium nitrite/nitrate in deli products, that's the only way that a company can cure meats quicker then normal and guarantee that the product will not spoil while it's being cured. I make my own hams, sausage, capicollo, Prosciuttini etc. but all I use is table salt, course black pepper, chile flakes if I want it spicy and paprika.
Feb 18, 2014
503 posts
300 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Dogs shouldn't eat sausage meat in general....salt, spices aren't good for them.

Nothing really wrong with sausage meat for us humans IMO. Do you ever eat out?
When I had my Sheppard I used to cook her 10lbs of ground beef ever Sunday and mix in some pasta. This used to last her 4-5 days, along with table scraps, she loved it, she lived to be 14 years, I had to put her down because she developed arthritis in her hind legs. She hated dog food but loved turkey necks in broth.

I eat out but not at any of these fast food joints, I stopped that 20 years ago.
Banned
Dec 15, 2018
252 posts
696 upvotes
bobby621 wrote: Pork meat, yes, but from where.
Bits of scraps that the saw blade spits out while it's cutting hogs in portion cuts with a bit of trim.
Guys don't fool yourself, the so called "pork meat" that they use in these sausages is disgusting, I worked in the industry for 20 years.

As for sodium nitrite/nitrate in deli products, that's the only way that a company can cure meats quicker then normal and guarantee that the product will not spoil while it's being cured. I make my own hams, sausage, capicollo, Prosciuttini etc. but all I use is table salt, course black pepper, chile flakes if I want it spicy and paprika.
This meat seriously tastes good. Just had 15 or so women have my specialty sausage meat sandwich and they were more than satisfied!
Apr 12, 2008
616 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
My wife's family uses this as a base for their Christmas stuffing: sweat down some celery and onion, throw in some bread crumbs and parsley, finish crisping it up under the broiler and it really is quite delicious.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1303 posts
2996 upvotes
Yeah, that's not true. Certain nitrates in processed meats have been linked to cancer. You can easily buy processed meats without nitrates. Don't spread nonsense,
Last edited by MikoWilson on Feb 24th, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 18, 2014
503 posts
300 upvotes
416MAFIA wrote: This meat seriously tastes good. Just had 15 or so women have my specialty sausage meat sandwich and they were more than satisfied!
I'm not questioning if the meat was tasty, anything that is pork related and has a mixture of 50% trim/50% pork fat is always going to be tasty, similar to pork belly on the BBQ, pork butt steaks, the cap of the rib end chop, slowly cooked side ribs, (where the meat falls off the bone) pork neck bones cooked slowly (but not the ones you buy in the store, there's hardly any meat on them) .
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2009
1153 posts
4557 upvotes
Van Isle
And so is "new car smell"
Militant Atheist....There's no goddamn god goddamn it
Feb 18, 2014
503 posts
300 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: Yeah, that's not true. Certain nitrates in processed meats have been linked to cancer. You can easily buy processed meats without nitrates. Don't spread nonsense,
Where??
Feb 18, 2014
503 posts
300 upvotes
redkid wrote: hey you are getting "food" for 14cents
true not the best kind but maybe decent enough for certain receipies
thats true.
but your comment made me laugh.