Expired Hot Deals

[Real Canadian Superstore] Ontario: Prime Rib oven roast AAA or USDA choice $5.44LB (Apr 18-21)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 12:59 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4537 posts
563 upvotes
Is it OK to vacuum seal and throw in the freezer? Will it be as good?
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Jan 13, 2004
732 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
alicklee wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 5:25 pm
Not enough people over here to make the price cut worth it for them. At least back east they still turn a profit if they did it out west they would be losing money .
They used to have this deal in bc all the time, then it became popular and the prime rib would sell out before the roasts leave the meat kart.

They've since switched to tenderloin sales which aren't as popular.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4857 posts
2001 upvotes
bluetroll wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 9:31 pm
Is it OK to vacuum seal and throw in the freezer? Will it be as good?
Frozen will never be as good as fresh. Doesn't matter how you wrap it. Fresh always tastes better, and cooks easier.
Oct 9, 2006
56 posts
11 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anybody in the Western Provinces feel like boycotting RCSS? This is the 3rd time it is only for Ontario and we get nothing.

I am telling anybody that will listen that Loblaw's does not value it's customers out West.
Oct 21, 2005
521 posts
331 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 4:06 pm
Even though I'm in BC, I would literally fly to Ontario if I could just buy the cap.
Seriously... why the hell is every Prime Rib deal cap off? It's the best freakin' part.
It's like deja vu. Somebody posts this in every prime rib thread (maybe it's the same guy??).

To reiterate for what feels like the 10th time: the term "cap off" refers only to the fat cap, not the spinalis muscle AKA ribeye cap (which is indeed the best part). Eveyr single prime rib roast ever sold contains the muscle cap, but they almost never include the fat cap. he only reason you'd ever want a "cap on" roast is if you're dry aging it, as a sacrificial layer to protect the meat underneath from drying out and forming the pellicle. Nobody actually eats the fat cap. You're basically paying $5/lb for beef tallow.

Speaking of dry aging: I dry-aged a whole side from the Christmas sale. 78 days. Trimmed it up near the end of March. It was absolutely amazing. So much flavour, and so, so tender. And the trimming makes great burgers.
Aug 8, 2007
232 posts
117 upvotes
M-_-C wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 9:20 pm
This exactly save it for next week and then In the app it says available in 2 days which means Thursday when the sale starts your offer will be available
Thanks given and done! Anyone in Toronto not want their spinalis dorsi let me know! You will know me if you see me as I am the one watching the roasts coming out to maximize the size of the spinalis as well as the marbling. With BBQ and smoking season now upon us I will be stocking up.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4857 posts
2001 upvotes
Still no Koji Rice fake-dry aging converts? It's an amazing way to concentrate the beef taste.
Jan 22, 2018
130 posts
38 upvotes
Great deal on a great piece of beef. Bought last year highly recommend it.
Jul 30, 2004
27 posts
49 upvotes
Walmart in western Canada has this for $5.97/lb Apr 18 - 24. Cut from AAA Angus. Not sure if it's mechanically tenderized.

Maybe RCSS will price match?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1752 posts
1098 upvotes
Markham
cloverwall wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 4:13 am
Walmart in western Canada has this for $5.97/lb Apr 18 - 24. Cut from AAA Angus. Not sure if it's mechanically tenderized.

Maybe RCSS will price match?
$5.47/lb at Walmart in the East as well.

Historically, they have mechanically tenderized so I’ll assume this will be the case still.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1845 posts
291 upvotes
Kitchener
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 8:57 pm
Good for making steaks?

Yes, Just slice between the bones. When I buy these, I will often take a couple and make 2 bone steaks, or small roasts, so the two of us can have a quick meal and not have to eat this delish meat for three days. Also, as a previous poster has said, take the bone out and make rib eye steaks out of them. I'll then BBQ the beef ribs. Man, great eats. Thanks OP