Expired Hot Deals

[Real Canadian Superstore] Ontario: Prime Rib oven roast AAA or USDA choice $5.44LB (Apr 18-21)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 11:57 am
Sep 9, 2003
939 posts
107 upvotes
I roast the prime rib , reverse sear method and it was really good.

I also cut them up for 1 inch steaks. I usually take out the bone and save it to make "Miso, rib Ramen soup". I find the miso and the bbq beef rib flavour goes really well together with noodles.

I've also put the rib into pasta before with mushroom and peppers. The bbq beef rib pasta has so much flavour.
feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=657823
ebay feedback : demon_twinz
heatware ID: demon_twinz99
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
doug_999 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 10:34 pm
Anybody in the Western Provinces feel like boycotting RCSS? This is the 3rd time it is only for Ontario and we get nothing.

I am telling anybody that will listen that Loblaw's does not value it's customers out West.
Last year (2018) around Easter, RCSS here out west did have a sale on prime rib. It was advertised as a 3 day weekend special but they continued to price match Walmart during their sale period.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/real-ca ... 2181941/2/

Here's hoping we get a good deal on "not mechanically tenderized" prime rib this year too!!!
:arrow: "notwithstanding" for issues of Constitutional Crisis level.... or not.
:arrow: Hey Ottawa. Where's my $372M free money ... err... loan? Signed, West.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol. And soon, MJ.
Nov 27, 2004
269 posts
72 upvotes
Calgary, AB
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 6:07 am
Vacuum seal
I just use zip lock freezer bags and try to squeeze out as much air as you can.
Mar 12, 2017
302 posts
168 upvotes
mr_joe wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 10:00 am
I just use zip lock freezer bags and try to squeeze out as much air as you can.
Use water my friend.
Oct 21, 2005
527 posts
348 upvotes
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 6:07 am
Vacuum seal
Yep. Vacuum sealing lets the meat last a long time in the freezer. Trim it into steaks first, then vacuum seal. I add my seasoning too, so that I just need to throw it in the sous vide cooker when I want to eat it. Freezing does not affect flavour or texture at all. Only thing is you must defrost slowly in the fridge. For a thick steak, defrosting will probably take 24+ hours depending how cold your fridge is, so plan ahead.
Dec 20, 2014
333 posts
83 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Hi everyone.

I'm little new to picking up this - how you guys choose the good peace of meat in the store?
What are the signs to look for?

Thanks.
Feb 5, 2016
73 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do they sell out of these? Should I camp out for opening or will there be plenty?
Aug 27, 2008
786 posts
516 upvotes
Ottawa
bluetroll wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 9:31 pm
Is it OK to vacuum seal and throw in the freezer? Will it be as good?
I do it all the time. Cut into steaks and add in some Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little Olive Oil. Vacuum seal and throw them in the freeze.

Then pull them out as I need them. I've put them into a pot in the morning before work with some ice to keep it cool. By around 2pm, I'll remotely start the sous vide. When I get home, just pat them dry and sear on the BBQ. Steaks were still great after 3 months of playing Captain America.
May 13, 2009
193 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Phat$ wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 1:47 pm
#$%* ya, definitely going to pick some up and will do the serious eats method to prepare it.

For anyone interested, here is the full article https://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the ... e-rib.html

-Cook in oven at 200°F until meat is at desired temp, thermometer is key. Took a few hours, can't remember exactly how long as I was just concerned with temp, not time.
-Remove and let rest for about 30 mins
-While resting, crank oven to 500°F
-Put back in 500°F oven for 10 mins
-Take out, slice and serve immediately

Crispy crust, no grey band, nice and juicy and the family loves it! Thanks for the heads up OP!
That's how I cook it too! I got that recipe, which appears identical, from Alton Brown's Good Eats show S05E04 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _(2001-02)) Celebrity Roast aka Family Roast

Rare 120 to 127
Medium Rare 128 to 135
Medium 136 to 145

I use a temperature probe so no guessing required.

... terrible SD quality
Jul 11, 2009
368 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
This past Christmas it was $ 5.47 / lb. so it's a bit cheaper now. I had put a 4 kg roast rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder & onion powder in the smoker with oak at 225°F for 4.5 hours to an internal temp of 132°F. I've started skipping the sear, didn't seem to make a difference when sliced 1" thick.

I think i'll try it rotisserie on the gas grill this time.
Oct 21, 2005
527 posts
348 upvotes
Truff01 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 10:29 am
Hi everyone.

I'm little new to picking up this - how you guys choose the good peace of meat in the store?
What are the signs to look for?

Thanks.
Depends what you like. The chuck end (shorter bones) has more of the cap muscle, and more fat. The loin end is more lean and a bit more presentable, but in my opinion is less tasty. I go for the chuck end if I have to choose. In general you'll want to look for good intramuscular fat in whatever cut you choose. Not big globs of fat, but specks of fat within the muscle itself. Those render down nicely, and are delicious.

Lately every time this sale comes on, I go for a full side, which I think is about equal to 3 of the smaller packages they put out. Just go to the counter and they'll give it to you in the full cryobag just as they received it.
Jul 11, 2009
368 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
LBJackal wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 12:23 pm
Depends what you like. The chuck end (shorter bones) has more of the cap muscle, and more fat. The loin end is more lean and a bit more presentable, but in my opinion is less tasty. I go for the chuck end if I have to choose. In general you'll want to look for good intramuscular fat in whatever cut you choose. Not big globs of fat, but specks of fat within the muscle itself. Those render down nicely, and are delicious.

Lately every time this sale comes on, I go for a full side, which I think is about equal to 3 of the smaller packages they put out. Just go to the counter and they'll give it to you in the full cryobag just as they received it.
ever try leaving it in the fridge for 90 days to dry age it?
Nov 20, 2015
115 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was at the RCSS at 3050 Argentina in Mississauga around noon to pick one up. Not sure if they have restocked in the last couple hours but there were about 15 roasts left in the bunker in the meat section. I saw people with 5 - 15 of them in their carts, were going pretty quick.
Apr 12, 2005
168 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
I just came from RCSS @ around 1pm today Dufferin and Steeles location in Toronto. I bought 3 packs. They are constantly replenishing the stock. If you are never been there before store before. It's all the way to the back of the store on the end cap need the butcher. Prices vary from mid $20 to high $40s.