Expired Hot Deals

[Real Canadian Superstore] Ontario: Prime Rib oven roast AAA or USDA choice $5.44LB (Apr 18-21)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 11:57 am
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12432 posts
2653 upvotes
Markham
AlphaKen wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 3:40 pm
I just came from RCSS @ around 1pm today Dufferin and Steeles location in Toronto. I bought 3 packs. They are constantly replenishing the stock. If you are never been there before store before. It's all the way to the back of the store on the end cap need the butcher. Prices vary from mid $20 to high $40s.
Were they bringing it out by the shopping cart? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Apr 12, 2005
170 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 3:47 pm
Were they bringing it out by the shopping cart? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
The butchers were trimming the beef and such. I see people putting 2 to 3 packages in their carts

Behind the butcher counter there were about 20 trays of beef. I don't know how quickly it will sale out
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12432 posts
2653 upvotes
Markham
AlphaKen wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 3:57 pm
The butchers were trimming the beef and such. I see people putting 2 to 3 packages in their carts

Behind the butcher counter there were about 20 trays of beef. I don't know how quickly it will sale out
Was just a joke about the time they were in the news for the raw beef sitting in a shopping cart :)
Oct 21, 2005
548 posts
376 upvotes
JimU wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 1:59 pm

ever try leaving it in the fridge for 90 days to dry age it?
I did 78 days on one from the Christmas sale. No Umai bag, no salt bed, no battery powered fan - just the meat sitting on a rack in the fridge at barely above freezing. It was amazing.
jamesw99 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 2:54 pm
I was at the RCSS at 3050 Argentina in Mississauga around noon to pick one up. Not sure if they have restocked in the last couple hours but there were about 15 roasts left in the bunker in the meat section. I saw people with 5 - 15 of them in their carts, were going pretty quick.
I was at that one about an hour ago, and they have plenty. They typically don't run out, from my experience. If there's none in the cooler in the aisle, then just ask the butcher counter. I got a whole side still sealed in the cryo bag. They only charged me $3.98/lb ($8.77/kg) since it was untrimmed!!

Mar 20, 2013
730 posts
229 upvotes
Scarborough
LBJackal wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 4:06 pm

I was at that one about an hour ago, and they have plenty. They typically don't run out, from my experience. If there's none in the cooler in the aisle, then just ask the butcher counter. I got a whole side still sealed in the cryo bag. They only charged me $3.98/lb ($8.77/kg) since it was untrimmed!!

Damn you lucky guy! I bought it at full price :(.... 140 for a full rack... Tomorrow is my butchering day ;).
Nov 20, 2015
115 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LBJackal wrote:
I did 78 days on one from the Christmas sale. No Umai bag, no salt bed, no battery powered fan - just the meat sitting on a rack in the fridge at barely above freezing. It was amazing.

Nice, thank you for letting me know! Also, nice grab with the whole pack @ $3.98.
Jan 23, 2013
134 posts
122 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 1:19 am
Still no Koji Rice fake-dry aging converts? It's an amazing way to concentrate the beef taste.
I am. It was not fun to pay $50 for kilo of rice, but the steak comes out great.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12432 posts
2653 upvotes
Markham
LBJackal wrote:

Well done. Wish I did that!
Aug 22, 2001
919 posts
364 upvotes
Vancouver
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 9:23 am
Here's hoping we get a good deal on "not mechanically tenderized" prime rib this year too!!!
For those out West, all is not lost. My local RCSS (on Marine Drive in Vancouver) has matched the Walmart price of $5.97/lb. They had lots of stock and were replenishing regularly.
Sep 24, 2018
41 posts
26 upvotes
Out west here and was in rcss today and saw the price worked out to $6.18/lb plus they have 200 pts for every dollar spent on beef in the PC app this week.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18696 posts
6717 upvotes
Toronto
AlphaKen wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 3:57 pm

You are lucky they trim the fat before packaging. At the local superstore, prime rib had huge chunks of pure fat along the edges, some more than one inch thick. I was lucky I had 200 and 100 points for each $1 spent on fresh beef. Cost was less than $4 per pound. If it were not for the sweetness of low price, it would not have been that good of a buy.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Dec 14, 2004
751 posts
74 upvotes
Waterloo
Phat$ wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 1:47 pm
#$%* ya, definitely going to pick some up and will do the serious eats method to prepare it.

For anyone interested, here is the full article https://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the ... e-rib.html

-Cook in oven at 200°F until meat is at desired temp, thermometer is key. Took a few hours, can't remember exactly how long as I was just concerned with temp, not time.
-Remove and let rest for about 30 mins
-While resting, crank oven to 500°F
-Put back in 500°F oven for 10 mins
-Take out, slice and serve immediately

Crispy crust, no grey band, nice and juicy and the family loves it! Thanks for the heads up OP!
Followed this method at Christmas and it came out amazing
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12432 posts
2653 upvotes
Markham
mre wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 10:05 pm
Followed this method at Christmas and it came out amazing
Gonna try this route next time. Last couple I did sous vide and I find it doesn't have the same flavour.
Sep 24, 2018
41 posts
26 upvotes
Smoking them is the norm here at 225f until internal temp is 118f -then rest for 45 mins - 1.5hrs...

Only seasoned with Montreal steak spice and oil.

Unbeatable
Mar 2, 2016
156 posts
73 upvotes
For those who care to know. I bought a whole side that was 19.459 lbs. I trimmed all the fat and removed the bones. The amount of fat I had was 1.463 lbs. The bones were 3.706 lbs and 14.29 lbs of meat for rib eye steaks. To break down the % there was 7.52% of pure fat. 19. 05% of bones. 73.44% of pure meat. For this cut it comes to 7.78$/lb of just the steak meat. Ended up getting 15 steaks, not all consistent sizes cause some times I like thick cut and sometimes a bit thinner. If I cut them into standard 10oz which I think is good enough for 1 portion I could have gotten 22 pieces of steak. But I like thick cut around 14 Oz and just split with the wife. I vacuum seal like so and will last in the freezer and stay fresh for a while. I still have some from Christmas sale so I gotta go through that first. I freeze the bones and use it for soup. Still has a good amount of meat on them and will fall off nicely into soups. I also keep the fat. Render it down and use it to deep fry French fries. I'll also use it to cook with as opposed to vegetable oil. Might not be healthy but tasty lol. The fat is important to keep when you roast it prime rib style cause the fat will keep the meat moist but we can't finish 3 bones roast style and I usually prefer firing up the grill for steaks. I bought 2 whole pieces and the other one I kept the bone on cause once in a while I like to roast it on the bone, it has extra boost of flavour. But I also wanted to know how much of the prime rib gets wasted. (BTW I put a piece of paper towel in the bag to absorb excess blood and also helps my vacuum sealer get a solid seal)
Images
  • IMG_20190418_203214.jpg
  • IMG_20190418_162800.jpg