Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

Ontario: Prime Rib oven roast AAA or USDA choice $5.44LB (Apr 18-21)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 11:57 am
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1596 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone confirm if the Superstore at 401 & Weston still has this deal today? Didn't get a chance to head out there this past weekend
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2115 posts
1262 upvotes
superock wrote: Can anyone confirm if the Superstore at 401 & Weston still has this deal today? Didn't get a chance to head out there this past weekend
Possibly RCSS will still pricematch to walmart? Walmarts sale goes all week i believe.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
For the sous-vide cooks out there, how are you guys getting the best sear?
I do 129F for 1hr, pat them dry and throw em on my Lodge Cast Iron with a bit of oil and waiting for the oil/pan to be searing hot. I've done 1min on each side and find I don't get enough sear.
I've tried 3 mins each side where I like the amount of sear, but the inside cooks too much from the 129F internal temp. I tried 2 mins each side which was decent, but still cooks the inside a bit more than I'd like.
What point do you guys season the steaks? While vaccuum sealing and storing into freezer initially, after the thaw and prepping them for the bath, or after taking them out of the bath before searing?
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
gryphon88 wrote: I
I have just picked up at the weekend price at my local superstore.
Could you share the location?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
1174 posts
170 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote: For the sous-vide cooks out there, how are you guys getting the best sear?
I do 129F for 1hr, pat them dry and throw em on my Lodge Cast Iron with a bit of oil and waiting for the oil/pan to be searing hot. I've done 1min on each side and find I don't get enough sear.
I've tried 3 mins each side where I like the amount of sear, but the inside cooks too much from the 129F internal temp. I tried 2 mins each side which was decent, but still cooks the inside a bit more than I'd like.
What point do you guys season the steaks? While vaccuum sealing and storing into freezer initially, after the thaw and prepping them for the bath, or after taking them out of the bath before searing?

what oil are you using, and how long are you waiting for your cast iron to heat up? a high smoke point oil like avocado oil or ev olive oil are great for searing, and cast irons take a decent amount of time to get to a very high heat.

i personally season during bagging / before freeze, at minimum with salt.
Oct 9, 2006
68 posts
13 upvotes
Winnipeg
Western Canada didnt get the original deal but got the price match to Wal-Mart. I believe they matching all week @5.97 which is still a great price.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
UberN00b wrote: what oil are you using, and how long are you waiting for your cast iron to heat up? a high smoke point oil like avocado oil or ev olive oil are great for searing, and cast irons take a decent amount of time to get to a very high heat.

Avocado oil yes, evoo definitely not!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
UberN00b wrote: what oil are you using, and how long are you waiting for your cast iron to heat up? a high smoke point oil like avocado oil or ev olive oil are great for searing, and cast irons take a decent amount of time to get to a very high heat.

I trim off the excessive fat from the piece and make tallow.
Oct 10, 2006
464 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
stryder1587 wrote: For the sous-vide cooks out there, how are you guys getting the best sear?
What I found was I had to sous vide my steaks at 125F (Medium Rare) as when I sous vided mine at 130F it was cooked more than I liked. Pat the steak lightly to remove excess moisture after sous-viding. As for how long to sear it on your cast ironed, its hard to give you an approximate time for this. You just want it long enough to give you a nice crust on the surface. I use olive oil and wait till the pan is smoking just slightly before I throw the steaks on. Make sure your stove is on the highest setting and do not cook more than 1 steak on a pan. Do not touch the steak after it's on. When you go to flip the steak, make sure you flip it onto another area of the pan where the steak wasn't on. I also use garlic, thyme and butter to baste it to help also give that crust as well. and I add this after I flipped it.

I season my steaks with just kosher salt and pepper before I vaccuum seal it.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto

I'm using Mazola Canola oil. Never timed how long I waited to heat up but I would guess 3 minutes? I have a gas stove and the setting is on max.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote: I'm using Mazola Canola oil. Never timed how long I waited to heat up but I would guess 3 minutes? I have a gas stove and the setting is on max.
ideally its as hot as you can get it. For sure when your oil starts smoking. You can't really time it because my stove might be 4000BTU and yours might be 10,000BTU. It all depends. Unfortunately, it creates a massive mess in a kitchen when you do that. You'll get splattering oil everywhere and fumes too.
Its best to do this dirty stuff on the outdoor BBQ.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2116 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
Loblaws did not have the prime rib sale in my area. Closest Super store is 1 hour 45 minutes away so forced to go to Walmart . Got 4 large roasts. They had a choice of small or large roasts.
Sale ends Wednesday.
Feb 18, 2014
513 posts
310 upvotes
love2save wrote: Thanks OP.
Stocked up the freezer.
Bought 9 roasts = $301
Earned 20% back in points = $60.20
Received ($24.95) bag of shrimp free
** Plus, because I had the cashier ring through (and credit) the free shrimp at the till, I earned another 5000 PC points having it added on the bill (as I had a seafood offer) Face With Tears Of Joy
All butchered, vacuum sealed, and in the freezer. Thumbs Up Sign

IMG_20190420_115157.jpg
The one in the bottom left corner has way to much fat towards the eye, marbling is fine but that piece is beyond marbling.
Apr 21, 2019
210 posts
143 upvotes
It is a good deal in the West too because RCSS is price matching Walmart ($5.97/lb rib roast).

I bought:
2 tenderloins for $120
4 rib roasts for $230
Total $350

$74 for 20% off beef personal offer
Total $104

Plus the free bag of shrimp.

RCSS is stingy, they were only putting out 1 roast at a time. Otherwise I would've bought another $150 to get a second free bag of shrimp.

I cut the tenderloins and half of the rib roasts into steaks. Hopefully this will last until the next beef sale (thanksgiving?)!
Oct 21, 2005
837 posts
812 upvotes
I'd go longer than an hour in the water unless it's a really thin steak. At least 90 mins, preferably more. I usually use 131 as well, but 129 should be fine. Once you remove it from the vacuum sealed bag, scrape off whatever seasonings you put on it. I use salt/pepper/garlic powder, and it creates kind of a paste on the surface. Most of the flavour is out of it at this point so it's just wet fibre, and you want to remove it before searing otherwise heating up that watery paste will steam the meat. After the paste is removed, pat the steaks dry with paper towel. Then at that point you can put it in the freezer for 15 mins if you want, in order to get the outside very cold. That allows you to sear longer on the cast iron without overcooking it. I usually don't do that since I use very thick steaks, but it helps if you have thin steaks that can't take much time on the sear. Instead of putting oil on the pan while it's heating, heat the pan with nothing in it, and put oil on the steak itself. When searing, flip the meat often, like every 10 seconds at most. Halfway through, toss a couple tablespoons of butter in the pan and swirl the steak around the pan in a circle in the butter, then flip, and swirl the other side in the butter. Repeat the flipping and swirling until you have a nice crust. Shouldn't take very long once the butter is added. Throw that sucker on a plate, add some more kosher salt (smoked Maldon sea salt flakes are awesome), and if your arteries are up to the task, add a bit of fresh butter on top of the meat, and enjoy immediately.
Jul 9, 2006
176 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
noooo, I ran out and need to restock! Was hoping for a sale this long weekend but haven't seen anything. :(
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
vietmunki wrote: noooo, I ran out and need to restock! Was hoping for a sale this long weekend but haven't seen anything. :(
Cruel bump

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)