Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

PC propane pizza oven - $249 + 50k PC points (March 24-30)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2023 11:38 am
Nov 17, 2015
362 posts
796 upvotes
Banff, AB
Anyone else kinda frustrated with this thing? I have it on lowest setting when I make my pies. they are about 8''. I turn them by 20 degree every 10s to not burn it but god damn does that backside always catch on fire spontaneously, on the lowest setting so so easily.

I've done maybe around 50 pies since I got it to practice but they always almost burn on a tiny little edge. Might be my crust IDK let me know what your experience is.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
cheelos wrote: Anyone else kinda frustrated with this thing? I have it on lowest setting when I make my pies. they are about 8''. I turn them by 20 degree every 10s to not burn it but god damn does that backside always catch on fire spontaneously, on the lowest setting so so easily.

I've done maybe around 50 pies since I got it to practice but they always almost burn on a tiny little edge. Might be my crust IDK let me know what your experience is.
Maybe don't push pie so deep into the oven? If you're pie is 8" you can have it as far as 4" from back burner

Pic of burning edge?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 22, 2022
101 posts
47 upvotes
cheelos wrote: Anyone else kinda frustrated with this thing? I have it on lowest setting when I make my pies. they are about 8''. I turn them by 20 degree every 10s to not burn it but god damn does that backside always catch on fire spontaneously, on the lowest setting so so easily.

I've made pretty big pies (around 10-11 inch) with proper rotation you should not really burn the edges.
I launch at high stone temp, but right before I launch I reduce the heat to low. I give it 30 seconds without touching to let the base set, and then I rotate every 15 seconds. You can also try to put the dial PAST the highest into an ''ultra low'' mode.
Show pics!
Nov 17, 2015
362 posts
796 upvotes
Banff, AB
jspiegz wrote: I've made pretty big pies (around 10-11 inch) with proper rotation you should not really burn the edges.
I launch at high stone temp, but right before I launch I reduce the heat to low. I give it 30 seconds without touching to let the base set, and then I rotate every 15 seconds. You can also try to put the dial PAST the highest into an ''ultra low'' mode.
Show pics!
The ones from last night were good. I got a system now for 15s per 20 degree rotation to reduce burn but the backside is always a bitch. I let the stone get real hot by max heat for 15m preheat. Then i lower it to minimum for cooking. I might have to choke it with the propane valve to ensure its really really low for a good slow cook.

Crust is mega thin btw and sometimes sourdough.
Mar 22, 2022
101 posts
47 upvotes
cheelos wrote: The ones from last night were good. I got a system now for 15s per 20 degree rotation to reduce burn but the backside is always a bitch. I let the stone get real hot by max heat for 15m preheat. Then i lower it to minimum for cooking. I might have to choke it with the propane valve to ensure its really really low for a good slow cook.

Char looks nice to me!
I personally like the rustic almost burned look ;)
Mar 22, 2022
101 posts
47 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: I think you might be on to something with that comparison.. this is the Ooni Koda 12, same one that has been at Costco and etc lately. Image

Top is a little different (makes sense with the different logo and etc..) but the stand on the bottom looks identical.

It's in the flyer for the west. I'm going to see if I can find it in stock this morning.
I'm really tempted to get the Ooni koda carrying case.. I wonder if it'll fit the PC..
Legs seem a biiiiit thicker, and the top is a bit different so I'm not sure
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
cheelos wrote: The ones from last night were good. I got a system now for 15s per 20 degree rotation to reduce burn but the backside is always a bitch. I let the stone get real hot by max heat for 15m preheat. Then i lower it to minimum for cooking. I might have to choke it with the propane valve to ensure its really really low for a good slow cook.

Burning just means you have to turn a bit earlier...I'd say rotate it quarter turn or 45 degrees each time instead of 20 degrees which is one half of one quarter. Report back with pics if you try this.

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2018 upvotes
Scarborough
@cheelos Are you using Neapolitan style dough recipe? Your dough looks like it needs more hydration. Not shit-posting either, your pies look good I'm just curious as to what type of dough you're using and what hydration...
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
OrangeBerry wrote: @cheelos Are you using Neapolitan style dough recipe? Your dough looks like it needs more hydration. Not shit-posting either, your pies look good I'm just curious as to what type of dough you're using and what hydration...
Actually more hydration will reduce charring....Why? Because water doesn't burn.

Nov 17, 2015
362 posts
796 upvotes
Banff, AB
OrangeBerry wrote: @cheelos Are you using Neapolitan style dough recipe? Your dough looks like it needs more hydration. Not shit-posting either, your pies look good I'm just curious as to what type of dough you're using and what hydration...
I either use a 500g flour/350ml h20/100 g starter for sourdough. The moisture ratio is a pain in the ass here. For the regular pies I usually just use a 2 2/3cup flour + 2.5 teaspoon insta yeast + 2 spoon oil + 3/4 cup water. I do realize I don't have much rise on my dough though. Prolly cuz I don't let the sugar/water/yeast settle long enough of cause my yeast has gone bad in the freezer.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
cheelos wrote: I either use a 500g flour/350ml h20/100 g starter for sourdough. The moisture ratio is a pain in the ass here. For the regular pies I usually just use a 2 2/3cup flour + 2.5 teaspoon insta yeast + 2 spoon oil + 3/4 cup water. I do realize I don't have much rise on my dough though. Prolly cuz I don't let the sugar/water/yeast settle long enough of cause my yeast has gone bad in the freezer.
I'm confused. You have two different recipes above

The first one is a 70% hydration.

The second one seems low.
Flour 2.67 x 120=320
Water 0.75 x 250=187
187/320 is 58%

You use 2.5 tsp of yeast? And you don't get much rise?

Please visit the pizza thread to continue your pizza journey.

all-things-pizza-discussion-2532933/

Mar 26, 2006
362 posts
43 upvotes
If anyone is looking for a cover for their pizza oven I just ordered the Ooni Koda 12 Outdoor Pizza Oven Carry Cover from Crate&Barrel.

https://www.crateandbarrel.ca/ooni-koda ... er/s196566

Pizza Oven Carry Cover: $49.99
Shipping & Handling: $19.95
Subtotal: $69.94 + Taxes
"Spider Pig, Spider Pig, Does whatever a Spider Pig does, can he swing, from a web? No he can't, he's a pig, lookout he's a Spider Pig!" Homer Simpson.
Mar 22, 2022
101 posts
47 upvotes
par1000 wrote: If anyone is looking for a cover for their pizza oven I just ordered the Ooni Koda 12 Outdoor Pizza Oven Carry Cover from Crate&Barrel.

https://www.crateandbarrel.ca/ooni-koda ... er/s196566

Pizza Oven Carry Cover: $49.99
Shipping & Handling: $19.95
Subtotal: $69.94 + Taxes
Please let me know how it fits! I was thinking of buying it too but PC oven seems to have larger legs.
UPDATE US :)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3870 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
Are these still $249 for PC members if you find one?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
cheelos wrote: I either use a 500g flour/350ml h20/100 g starter for sourdough. The moisture ratio is a pain in the ass here. For the regular pies I usually just use a 2 2/3cup flour + 2.5 teaspoon insta yeast + 2 spoon oil + 3/4 cup water. I do realize I don't have much rise on my dough though. Prolly cuz I don't let the sugar/water/yeast settle long enough of cause my yeast has gone bad in the freezer.
Sugar and oil will both contribute to dough burning, and you shouldn't really need either. Maybe get some new yeast and try a more basic recipe for a Neapolitan dough with just water, flour, yeast, and a pinch of salt.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2018 upvotes
Scarborough
Strider wrote: Sugar and oil will both contribute to dough burning, and you shouldn't really need either. Maybe get some new yeast and try a more basic recipe for a Neapolitan dough with just water, flour, yeast, and a pinch of salt.
Considering he made 50+ pizzas, wouldn't hurt to buy some pre-made frozen neapolitan dough and give it a wirl. With that many attempts I would have at least attempted to try new variations
Mar 22, 2022
101 posts
47 upvotes
Anyone know the dimensions of the whole oven? Couldn't seem to find them. I'm looking to get a foldable plastic table to put it on in my backyard

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)