Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

Pork Picnic Roast $0.98/lb - ON Flyer

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2020 2:29 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote: The pork was 9.4 lbs. After removing only the meat (which still had some fat in or around it), only 4.4 lbs of it could be salvaged, the rest was all fat and bone. I think the fat alone was closer to 2lbs.

I think pork loin at $1.50 which does happen is a better value., but it is a different cut of meat.
Pork Loin has doesn't have good marbling....you have to cook it to medium at most or 145F (USDA minimum if you're safety guidelines oriented) it'll seem dry.

You can cut a thin pork shoulder steak and cook it hot and fast and it's phenomenally good. Do the same with a thin pork loin chop. Cover the meat up with some colorful marinade like Gochujang or mexican chili paste and it's no contest which is going to taste better. It's the visual (fat) that ppl don't like to see...but FAT IS FLAVOUR!!!

https://www.bonappetit.com/video/watch/ ... der-steaks

A lot of the internal fat will turn into juicy like goodness...it's what makes things like pulled pork or Bo Saam really good. Save some of that fat in your freezer (separate them into individual balls for freezing) and if you have lean pork scraps/trimmings, you can mince it together to make dumpling fillings, sausage etc. Alternatively made some pork drippings for making tacos or for frying carnitas
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
danfromwaterloo wrote: I got this too, about 8lbs of it.

Deboned it and deskined/defatted it, and cut it into chunks. Marinaded it with hot sauce, lemon juice, ground pineapple, garlic powder, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours, then vac sealed into four large bags for meals.

Skewer it and cook it for an hour on the bbq, and it's delicious.
Would have been nice to know the weight de-boned, de-skinned and de-fatted.

Just threw mine in a big pot and simmered for about 5 hours. Looks like a nice big pot of soup to follow.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
People are actually complaining $0.98 / lbs contains bones ?

I'll have to inquire about this next time I buy oxtail - WTF am I paying for the bones that I can't eat ?!?!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
I just want to do this in the oven, what temp and how long?
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
flaming homer wrote: People are actually complaining $0.98 / lbs contains bones ?

I'll have to inquire about this next time I buy oxtail - WTF am I paying for the bones that I can't eat ?!?!
Makes u wonder why there's no rush to buy beef round which is no fat and no bone....wait...oh yeah, it don't taste good. Lol.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
Sold out when i went to my store
Hello
Apr 28, 2020
15 posts
21 upvotes
Went to RCSS at Dufferin and Steeles, they were all sold out. Got some at the Green Lane and Yonge St location in Newmarket. They had tons! One of the reps there said they are likely going to extend the sale because they have so many.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
Homer88 wrote: This is how you do a sale. Unlike the shitty $2.99/lb Brisket deal at Sobeys where nobody in RFD was able to find stock in the GTA.
@DiceMan @gr8dlr and pork experts:

We missed out on the .99/lb with the Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast.

Sobey's has it, starting tomorrow Thursday, at 2.99/lb, (if they get any in, like the 'missing' beef brisket, altho a lot higher than RCSS price.

#1 is fresh better vs cryovac package?

#2 does this go on sale often to .99/lb or in between .99 and 2.99/lb?

Looking to cook low and slow on KJ.

Thanks!
Images
  • Screenshot_20200610_142118.jpg