Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Real Canadian Superstore

Prime rib $4.98/lb AAA rcss east

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 2:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7057 posts
3368 upvotes
Method X in the oven, or Method X with fake dry aging with Koji rice (48 hours) if you have a digital therometer
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8251 posts
5752 upvotes
killbillvol1 wrote: Any recommended recipes? Thanks
Salt and pepper, maybe some garlic

Or use a spice rub, Keg steak spice is pretty good

Reverse sear it in the oven

Get a good probe or thermometer to ensure it's cooked properly
Last edited by Squirrel99 on Oct 8th, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 26, 2008
352 posts
303 upvotes
Sidney
Thanks OP. Might be helpful to put Ontario in the title. (so us here in BC don't get our hopes up)
May 28, 2016
391 posts
185 upvotes
again no west?
time to declare independence?
Last edited by gowifi on Oct 8th, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 5, 2017
266 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary
Happy for you guys out East... But this is BS. East Rcss has had this sale 3-4 times now while West hasn't done anything.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1959 posts
277 upvotes
JonahL wrote: Happy for you guys out East... But this is BS. East Rcss has had this sale 3-4 times now while West hasn't done anything.
I thought RCSS usually just run the sale on a different week? Any chance you can use the east flyer and price match?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
marksmithy69 wrote: I'm absolutely an amateur, but I've always just sprinkled it with coarse salt and pepper (after the roast has been sitting at room temperature), and always cooked fat side up. I usually cook at 500 degrees for the first 20 minutes or so. Always comes out delicious. There are tons of better ways, but that's my minimalist approach.
Yup, exactly what I do. Let it sit at room temperature about an hour, give or take depending on the size of the meat. I insert the meat thermometer roast at 450F for 20 min and 300F until done at 120F. I remove and let it rest for about 30 minutes. It'll get up to about 130F to 135F at its peak, so it comes out medium rare.

Actually, I'll spread a little dijon on the fat then salt and pepper and it forms a nice crust.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
killbillvol1 wrote: Any recommended recipes? Thanks
Mixture of Dijon mustard, garlic, kosher salt, ground pepper, Olive oil and Keg steak seasoning mixed in a bowl and spread on the entire outside of the roast. Refrigerate for an hour or more, then room temp for about 30 minutes before rotisserie or oven roast. Low and slow until done then reverse sear works very well for me. Let sit tented with foil for 20 minutes before cutting, this relaxes the meat and allows the collection of more juices for gravy.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
331 posts
474 upvotes
How thick are these??

How would these compare to steaks??

Can I simply pan fry them?? Or oven only??

Any specific instructions to cook?

Not a big red meat eater at home.... Only restaurants....
The one, the only, the original, SIZZLING FRYING PAN HOT DEALS - DEAL GOD!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1613 posts
3651 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: How thick are these??

All different sizes. You can buy a whole side too if they have them in stock

You can cut them into steaks.

Prime rib is the fruit of the plains. You can barbecue it, boil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, primerib-kabobs, primerib creole, primerib gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple primerib, lemon primerib , coconut primerib, pepper primerib, primerib stew, primerib salad, primerib and potatoes, primeribburger, primerib sandwich. That- that's about it.

Look at 1st post for instructions
Last edited by FARMERBLANCHE on Oct 8th, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2114 posts
1262 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: How thick are these??

Its a roast so its very thick. You can cut it up and make some very nice steaks out of it. Thats what I typically do.
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
331 posts
474 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: Its a roast so its very thick. You can cut it up and make some very nice steaks out of it. Thats what I typically do.
Is there any guide you recommend following to get the right cuts? Would cutting these up in smaller slices make sense? Like for a Philly Cheese steak sandwich where I can just toss a few slices in a frying pan for 4-5 minutes on medium heat?
The one, the only, the original, SIZZLING FRYING PAN HOT DEALS - DEAL GOD!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2114 posts
1262 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: Is there any guide you recommend following to get the right cuts? Would cutting these up in smaller slices make sense? Like for a Philly Cheese steak sandwich where I can just toss a few slices in a frying pan for 4-5 minutes on medium heat?

Ted the butcher
Last edited by RAINMAN0 on Oct 8th, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Squirrel99 wrote: Is it a good idea to sous vide prime rib roast? :p
I vote no. It's too wet. Same idea with steaks.
I much prefer reverse searing, but it requires the purchase of an external thermometer. Then again... sous vide requires the purchase of a sous vide...
I do occasionally sous vide in bulk if I have time to fridge them to dry.
How do you cut the roast into tomahawk steaks? Just slice between the rib bones?
A tomahawk specifically has a ridiculous amount of frenched bone at the end. You typically can't buy these without special ordering them.
You can slice between rib bones and get a rib steak, but it won't technically be a tomahawk.
This makes more sense anyway because a tomahawk is strictly for showing off. There's no other benefits eating wise.
Squirrel99 wrote: Searing a roast in a cast iron sounds dangerous unless it's a small one
Why would it be dangerous?
marksmithy69 wrote: I was wondering how well prime rib holds up after being frozen? I'm guessing pretty well. Thanks a lot.
Depends on who's eating.
I can taste the frozen, especially if you're freezing at home vs buying it already frozen via blast freezer. The texture just isn't the same as fresh.
For $5/lb I can over look it, but I will complain about it.
badOne wrote: Taste will be fine.
That's also subjective. I definitely don't like the taste after freezing.
darkmagician wrote: As per annual tradition, could you get a recipe for dummys on Prime Rib?
1) Buy a probe thermometer ($10-100 depending on how fancy you want. I kinda like my Bluetooth even though the app sucks for $40)
2) Season. Whatever you like. I like just salt. I'm here to taste the meat, not the seasonings. No pepper because pepper burns. Pepper later.
3) Low oven. Like 200F. Set your thermometer for whatever temp you want it done to. I like mid rare.
4) When it dings, remove the roast. Set your oven as high as it'll go with convection if you have it.
5) Take any drippings and baste the roast. Oil too if necessary.
6) Oven for 10-15 minutes to build a crust.
7) Rest. Don't skip this. 20 minutes. It'll be plenty hot still.
8) Carve.
9) Eat.
10) Nap.

Canadiansinner wrote:
I dunno, you would have to be a judge for yourself.
The center isn't important to me. (It is, but I can achieve this via reverse searing)
It's the crust.
Sous vide makes the outside wet. No amount of paper towel gets it dry enough for me.
Fridge works for drying, but that's overnight.
Wet outsides means that all the water has to boil off before it'll go over 212F. Since maillard is what? 300F? you spend a considerable amount of time boiling off water before you can bring up the temperature of the meat up high enough to caramelize.
It's kinda hard to tell from your photo, but it doesn't look like a really good hard sear.

There's also arguments of sous vide leeching out flavors. Adding flavors to the bag also apparently doesn't do anything if Serious Eats is right.

This is why I prefer reverse searing. Air drys out the outside making it easier to sear.
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: How would these compare to steaks??
These are steaks but whole.
Cut between the bones and you have a steak.
In roast form, you can't pan fry them to temperature.
I mean... you could but it'd be a pain in the ass.
You can pan fry them to develop a crust, but you'd finish in the oven.

In steak form you can also pan fry, but I still like reverse searing.
Roast is covered above.
Actually that'd work for a steak too.
After figuring out this you probably won't be a big red meat eater in restaurants.
Why pay $50 for a $5 steak that you can do better at home?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: Would cutting these up in smaller slices make sense? Like for a Philly Cheese steak sandwich where I can just toss a few slices in a frying pan for 4-5 minutes on medium heat?
Sure. Optimally you'd want a meat slicer to get it thin enough but if you have a good knife you can certainly do it by hand.
To me it's kind of a waste of a good piece of meat though. Not that a cheese steak isn't good but I'd much rather have a steak.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
What's up with all the beef sales (RCSS, Metro, Walmart) back east but no love for us out west?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)