• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 4:37 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 5, 2015
327 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
ngodk wrote: Wow! how did you get those offers in your pc plus? I'd definitely buy a tv if I had that!
I pushed my electronics offer from last week and got the 50$ spend offer this week which I get occasionally.

Which 60" tv is worth buying? The sharp for 699 or lg for 799?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7870 posts
1799 upvotes
Mont-Royal
is this as good as sony x900 series?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3804 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver
L4cky wrote: is this as good as sony x900 series?
Sony x900e is one of the best when it comes to picture quality... basically only thing clearly better are oled.

This is one of the worst (picture quality) 4k tvs in the market. In terms of picture quality, i wouldnt be surprised if rca/fluid/etc is better. Of course reliability wise, LG should be much better than RCA.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1878 posts
742 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Sony x900e is one of the best when it comes to picture quality... basically only thing clearly better are oled.

This is one of the worst (picture quality) 4k tvs in the market. In terms of picture quality, i wouldnt be surprised if rca/fluid/etc is better. Of course reliability wise, LG should be much better than RCA.
Once the settings are tweaked, it's actually quite good.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300/settings
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1878 posts
742 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Take a look at the ratings...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

Its basically at the bottom, out of the 2017 models rtings reviewed, its second from last... element and a lower model lg being lowered.
They gave it a 9.1 after calibration and with the newest firmware the picture has improved further. They are using the old firmware and have not updated for months.

This isn't a high end tv but it's miles better than the Fluid tv it replaced.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3804 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver
froesesp wrote: They gave it a 9.1 after calibration and with the newest firmware the picture has improved further. They are using the old firmware and have not updated for months.

This isn't a high end tv but it's miles better than the Fluid tv it replaced.
You do realize you are talking about color accuracy right? IPS panels provide better color accuracy than VA panels but that isnt too meaningful unless you are a graphic artist/using it as a monitor (also note this isnt a good monitor). The contrast level is much lower and the tv is a fake 4k/rgbw.

Fluid tv is 120hz and more importantly isnt a fake 4k. What you do get is a better brand (tho i rate them below samsung, sony, vizio, and panasoic... due to fake 4k/boot loop), which if you trust lg, makes this possibly a better deal but if you want a brand name tv, consider dropping 5” and going samsung mu6300, which is 589 costco right now and provides better picture quality.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1878 posts
742 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Take a look at the ratings...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

Its basically at the bottom, out of the 2017 models rtings reviewed, its second from last... element and a lower model lg being lowered.
They only rated a small amount of the vast amount out there. The problem with these sites is that they are extremely critical and most people won't know or care as long as it's decent or better than their old tv, and especially at a certain price point. The LG is actually better than I expected, out of the box the picture was mediocre but after calibration it's a different tv. The smart functionality is good and pretty responsive, although I'm using my shield tv. The sound is decent and better than some others I tried. I have first hand experience but you seem to know better. I also got a smoking deal on the 55" with all the extra pc points.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1878 posts
742 upvotes
Paigne wrote: You do realize you are talking about color accuracy right? IPS panels provide better color accuracy than VA panels but that isnt too meaningful unless you are a graphic artist/using it as a monitor (also note this isnt a good monitor). The contrast level is much lower and the tv is a fake 4k/rgbw.

Fluid tv is 120hz and more importantly isnt a fake 4k. What you do get is a better brand (tho i rate them below samsung, sony, vizio, and panasoic... due to fake 4k/boot loop), which if you trust lg, makes this possibly a better deal but if you want a brand name tv, consider dropping 5” and going samsung mu6300, which is 589 costco right now and provides better picture quality.
Uh yah obviously different panel types with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm talking about overall picture quality, not specifically color accuracy. I always turn the contrast/brightness down as I've yet to experience any panel of any type(a lot) that isn't bright enough. It's not a fake 4k because you read it somewhere, its their lower end panel.

The fluid is actually 60hz as all low end panels are as mentioned in the documentation. Fluid is low end but good value, I have experience with that brand. Hahaha boot loop, we're not talking about the early revision g4's. Give it a rest, you jumped on the LG hate bandwagon. I'm not partial to any brand but your outright bs about this tv and lg is funny.
Sep 18, 2010
223 posts
159 upvotes
Boxing day this year seems to suck. I thought we would see a lot more deals than we are matching or better than Black Friday

I have a bunch of money to blow and I guess it's staying in my pocket
Last edited by Joe Buckley on Dec 24th, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3804 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver
froesesp wrote: Uh yah obviously different panel types with different strengths and weaknesses. I'm talking about overall picture quality, not specifically color accuracy. I always turn the contrast/brightness down as I've yet to experience any panel of any type(a lot) that isn't bright enough. It's not a fake 4k because you read it somewhere, its their lower end panel.

The fluid is actually 60hz as all low end panels are as mentioned in the documentation. Fluid is low end but good value, I have experience with that brand. Hahaha boot loop, we're not talking about the early revision g4's. Give it a rest, you jumped on the LG hate bandwagon. I'm not partial to any brand but your outright bs about this tv and lg is funny.
Its not boot loop specific nor limited to g4 (g5/v10 also had some reports tho fewer) but how they handle it. If you are happy with it then you are happy with it.

Fake 4k/RGBW is real and if you want to ignore it or dont care thats your choice. To me that makes it an inferior 4k TV. You are right that stacking PC offer with this makes it 20-40% hotter due to cash/points back. Im not trying to make you feel worst about your decision or anything just stating my opinion. If you dont like it, you can always ignore it.

Also pointing out the panel difference and the pro/cons because LG is IPS while most of the other tv mentioned are VA, so the difference is pretty meaningful in comparison. The 9.1 points to color accurancy (one advantage of IPS). Read the review again and click on the ? beside the score. Or if you want just a general picture quality score, its 6.5... aka one of the lower ratings.

I agree that Rting is just a subset of reviews so comparable models arent review. That said, i would prefer to take a chance or another tv (not rated) with real 4k vs LG fake 4k. That or pay more for a Sony 60x690e for $800 (bit more for those without pc coupons, not comparable if you have 1 or both coupons aka 20/40% back) or m55 ($749). If i have 40% back, my choice subset would be from RCSS tho im more likely to pick Sharp/Hisense over LG (again due to fake 4k). Dont think ill get new coupons before the end of this sale so not considering rcss tv exclusively (did get the meat coupon tho and happy with using that yesterday on about $500 worth if prime rib).

Again my issue isnt as much brand (tho i dont consider lg a premium brand) but really the fact this is a fake 4k. The reason i didnt buy oled on BF was due to brand but i still recommended it for those who want best PQ. Its just i personally avoid LG or treat them closer to Hisense than other brands (still above rca/fluid/haier/etc). Basically i wouldnt pay a premium for this brand but i did get a gpad 3 last year and considered a gpad 4 this year... so if lg offered a deal that i find is the best value, i would consider it. If you dont care about fake 4k, then this is a good (great with coupon) deal.
Sep 3, 2014
793 posts
793 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
When TVs start coming out as 8K and people realize that VA panels will apparently never go beyond 4K, then it will be IPS all the way for low to mid range TVs....
Dec 26, 2007
18 posts
17 upvotes
I bought the LG55UJ6200 during their No Tax Sale and returned it. Viewing angles were pretty bad. Took a bit of calibration before the picture/colour was decent but my 7 year old 46” Samsung still appeared better (other than the “4K” aspect). I bought it because I thought it was a good deal (also used PC points). Ended up with the LG 55” B7 instead. Yes it was a lot more but you really get what you pay for.
Dec 28, 2015
21 posts
12 upvotes
razkaz248 wrote: It was 279.99$ no tax with NBA 2K18 vs 299.99$ plus taxes this time around. Mind you it's not bundled with Star Wars so makes it cheaper than the Shoppers deal. Also the gift card is YMMV as far as using it for the purchase so that 50$ and only be redeemed for future purchase. I am hoping to be able to pick up a game in store with 50$ GC but again who knows what games will be available.

EDIT: BF also sold out of the NBA bundles real quick (only had about 10 ish units at my store so unless you were there early you missed out. This time around you might be able to get one even if you don't stand in line pre opening since most would have picked one up for xmas)
Just a fyi some stores might be completly sold out of the PS4s. The one I worked at got no more in for some stupid reason.
May 1, 2008
267 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hi
Is the Sharp 60" 4K UHD Smart TV any good?
Dont care about 4k just wondering if the upscaler is any good with Expressvu HD
Thank you
Nov 25, 2002
695 posts
174 upvotes
Kelowna
gamedeals2083 wrote: Just a fyi some stores might be completly sold out of the PS4s. The one I worked at got no more in for some stupid reason.
I went to the store in Langley to look for one since I saw it in their flyer for $299 and you got a $50gc. Looked around the store and didn't see anything but a few tv's on pallets way in the corner of the store. I asked Customer Service if they had more and one appeared out of a back room somewhere. So I don't know what their deal is but they didn't seem to be putting them on display.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3804 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver
smirnoff wrote: I went to the store in Langley to look for one since I saw it in their flyer for $299 and you got a $50gc. Looked around the store and didn't see anything but a few tv's on pallets way in the corner of the store. I asked Customer Service if they had more and one appeared out of a back room somewhere. So I don't know what their deal is but they didn't seem to be putting them on display.
I think it might be due to employees not even knowing about promos. Really not impressed with boxing day employee knowledge today...

#1 Costco TV pricing weren't updated and was tagged wrong (had to make a mini-return trip thanks to RFD and someone having an updated Pic)
#2 Brick said i cant use promo card due to door crasher, pointed out it wasn't a doorcrasher then had to wait for manager approval (really its in your freakin promo card/front page! >.>)
#3 Lowes not handing out cards @ door but 3 employees standing there watching you enter but not giving out cards (what's the point of them standing there?!)
#4 SDM still tagging prices well after opening...

So much for biggest shopping day of the year right? Shouldn't prices be actually correct/promo (doorcrashers at least) be known by employees?

Oh well back to checking out amazon while lining up...
Nov 25, 2002
695 posts
174 upvotes
Kelowna
Paigne wrote: So much for biggest shopping day of the year right? Shouldn't prices be actually correct/promo (doorcrashers at least) be known by employees?
You would hope. It's annoyingly common though eh. I end up going to the cashier with the flyers, fine print, photos of shelf prices, photos of receipts, because so often you have to fight to get the advertised price.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3804 posts
2357 upvotes
Vancouver
smirnoff wrote: You would hope. It's annoyingly common though eh. I end up going to the cashier with the flyers, fine print, photos of shelf prices, photos of receipts, because so often you have to fight to get the advertised price.
Other days i wouldnt really complain but today is freakin boxing day lol. No wonder stores have less customers walking in (except clothing outlets... Richmond airport/camie bridge had an insane lineup this morning). Kinda why i routed to new west (lowes) before going back to Richmond (costco, tho i was debating willingdon or richmond... richmond just ended up being slightly faster/closer to t. mills).
May 1, 2008
267 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
Picked up the sharp and with these settings it looks great :)