Expired Hot Deals

Real Canadian Superstore

RCSS(west) 10 LB bag of Beets, Carrots, or Onions, $3.97, Sept 25 - Oct 1/20

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2020 10:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 30, 2004
1354 posts
361 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…

[Real Canadian Superstore] RCSS(west) 10 LB bag of Beets, Carrots, or Onions, $3.97, Sept 25 - Oct 1/20

RCSS(west) 10 LB bag of Beets, Carrots, or Onions, $3.97, Sept 25 - Oct 1/20

September is BEETS month. 10 LBS of beets have been $4.99 so far this month, but the price drops this week. Stock up and start pickling. Recipes anyone ?

.... But we are still twice the price compared to No Frills out east. Oh, where is the love for the west ? :rolleyes: no-frills-campbells-soup-0-47-carrots-b ... a-2403364/
Images
  • rcss-beets.jpg
:arrow: Literally by doing nothing at home, you can save lives during the Covid-19 Crisis.
:arrow: Keep physically distant but socially connected.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol and MJ.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1104 posts
671 upvotes
We've been buying 10lb bags of beets for $2 since last week at No Frills. Last weekend, carrots, potatoes, beets were all $2 for 10lbs. Not sure if it's over or not, but we bought 80 lbs of beets in total. My nieces love that stuff.. even drink the water we boil them in as soup lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
2174 posts
460 upvotes
Canada
strife wrote: We've been buying 10lb bags of beets for $2 since last week at No Frills. Last weekend, carrots, potatoes, beets were all $2 for 10lbs. Not sure if it's over or not, but we bought 80 lbs of beets in total. My nieces love that stuff.. even drink the water we boil them in as soup lol

We're new to beets, but would like to try them this season. What's a good recipe for beets?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35882 posts
4551 upvotes
Winnipeg
^also would like to know how to cook this

we out west have so much farm land and yet food is more expensive than east ahhhh the logic is too much
WTB amazon gc @90%
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 19, 2008
945 posts
395 upvotes
Pierrefonds
Dwight Schrute approves of this deal
***************************
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1104 posts
671 upvotes
zoomzoom wrote: We're new to beets, but would like to try them this season. What's a good recipe for beets?
Lol, we ghetto as heck. We just boil them.. they're sweet, so kids eat them like candy. I'm sure you can google for some recipes, but we can't be bothered. It's just some work to peel them first. My mom bought so many to cook, then freeze for later (reduce need to go shopping during covid, etc).
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1348 posts
676 upvotes
Regina
zoomzoom wrote:
We're new to beets, but would like to try them this season. What's a good recipe for beets?
divx wrote: ^also would like to know how to cook this

we out west have so much farm land and yet food is more expensive than east ahhhh the logic is too much
Beets are generally nasty (taste like dirt) unless you roast them in the oven or roast them on the bbq like a baked potatoes.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Newbie
May 21, 2008
49 posts
10 upvotes
Boil them first, then run them under cold water and the peel will just come off in your hands. It's a bit like peeling hard boiled eggs but even easier.
Member
Oct 24, 2012
303 posts
238 upvotes
Edmonton
Beets are great for lowering your blood pressure.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2008
1449 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
zoomzoom wrote: We're new to beets, but would like to try them this season. What's a good recipe for beets?
Oven roasted beets are always a good start. Then there is beet soup (google Borscht recipe). Good in season beets are an easy replacement for carrots in many cases. Use them to make beet soup (instead of carrot soup), beet cakes (instead of carrot cakes), in coleslaw instead of carrots, heck throw a few in your red velvet cake for the color.

Be warned, they color everything red. Like every meal you make will be stained red. TMI here but I wish someone warned me: Do not panic when your pee and poop is also reddish.
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2008
1449 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: ^also would like to know how to cook this

we out west have so much farm land and yet food is more expensive than east ahhhh the logic is too much
Forgot to tag you in the last post. Sorries.
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
4291 posts
3418 upvotes
Markham
Brought a 10lb bag from no frills last week, first time trying beets and they are super good. I just steam and eat without any seasonings. The juice I used as food coloring for bread, cookies, muffins....
Images
  • IMG_20200919_020025.jpg
  • IMG_20200924_112219_038.jpg
  • IMG_20200921_101935.jpg
  • IMG_20200921_202710_291.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1258 posts
745 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
When I see beet, I think about Russian Borscht Soup. Definitely don't need 10lbs of them. You don't want it to need 10lbs either as our body couldn't process that much beets without toxic side effects.
🎶🎵🎶🎼 𝄞 ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ ♩ ♪ 𝅘𝅥𝅮 𝅘𝅥𝅯♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄞 𝄢 𝄫 𝄙 𝄼 𝄽 𝄾 𝄿
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9991 posts
4719 upvotes
Toronto
farfargurl wrote: Brought a 10lb bag from no frills last week, first time trying beets and they are super good. I just steam and eat without any seasonings. The juice I used as food coloring for bread, cookies, muffins....
wow farfargurl that looks good... love ur posts
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1958 posts
947 upvotes
Home
spiritsBB wrote: When I see beet, I think about Russian Borscht Soup. Definitely don't need 10lbs of them. You don't want it to need 10lbs either as our body couldn't process that much beets without toxic side effects.
Not that I would eat a 10lb on my own at once, but source?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2008
1666 posts
1458 upvotes
I cook them in the instant pot. They never make it into jars as I just eat them. So far only the beets from the garden but maybe I'll buy a bag now that those are gone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35882 posts
4551 upvotes
Winnipeg
archvenus14 wrote: Oven roasted beets are always a good start. Then there is beet soup (google Borscht recipe). Good in season beets are an easy replacement for carrots in many cases. Use them to make beet soup (instead of carrot soup), beet cakes (instead of carrot cakes), in coleslaw instead of carrots, heck throw a few in your red velvet cake for the color.

Be warned, they color everything red. Like every meal you make will be stained red. TMI here but I wish someone warned me: Do not panic when your pee and poop is also reddish.
Well I can see people panic when they pee red.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35882 posts
4551 upvotes
Winnipeg
shadowsteve wrote: I cook them in the instant pot. They never make it into jars as I just eat them. So far only the beets from the garden but maybe I'll buy a bag now that those are gone.
What is instant pot again? Is that similar to a slow cooker?
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 30, 2004
1354 posts
361 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
divx wrote: What is instant pot again? Is that similar to a slow cooker?
Instant Pot is a pressure cooker AND a slow cooker, plus there are buttons for Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Sauté, Rice, Porridge, Steam, Yogurt. Some models have even more functions.

For beets, set timer for 10 minutes; longer if you prefer softer beets.

Trivia: Instant Pot was designed by former Nortel engineer after being laid off.
:arrow: Literally by doing nothing at home, you can save lives during the Covid-19 Crisis.
:arrow: Keep physically distant but socially connected.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol and MJ.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35882 posts
4551 upvotes
Winnipeg
saskwatcher wrote: Instant Pot is a pressure cooker AND a slow cooker, plus there are buttons for Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Sauté, Rice, Porridge, Steam, Yogurt. Some models have even more functions.

For beets, set timer for 10 minutes; longer if you prefer softer beets.

Trivia: Instant Pot was designed by former Nortel engineer after being laid off.
I gotta get myself one of these, what is the rfd approved instant pot? Will grab it on the next sale.
WTB amazon gc @90%

Top