Salmon Fish Fillets $6.99/lb [Price Match + In-Store Offer]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 11:56 am
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
97 posts
131 upvotes
GTA

[Real Canadian Superstore] Salmon Fish Fillets $6.99/lb [Price Match + In-Store Offer]

RCSS in Scarborough, ON
Price match Food Basics $7.99/lb
In-store offer for PCO members $1/lb off
= $6.99/lb
Images
  • 20200611_211835.jpg
  • 20200611_213035.jpg
12 replies
Jan 17, 2010
777 posts
283 upvotes
Cash or seafood counter was the price match?
Last edited by FigNewton on Jun 11th, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2396 posts
2491 upvotes
You got lucky, but it was not a proper price-match.
The fillets at RCSS are skinless (at least in the Ontario flyer), whereas the ones at Food Basics are with skin (skin can easily be 7%-10% of the total weight, and most people do not eat the skin).
Also, RCSS fine print clearly state "We do not match PC Optimum™ member pricing", which I take it to mean that you cannot price-match other store and then take another $1 off as member pricing.
Last edited by ahoroba on Jun 11th, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 2, 2018
39 posts
26 upvotes
Nice! I price matched last week for $7.99 but this deal is even better! ... do you know if the in-store offer specific to the Scarborough location?
Jan 17, 2010
777 posts
283 upvotes
I think you got it for cheaper than 6.99 a pound.
I’m guessing 4.38 is the weight of that fish?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4633 posts
5831 upvotes
GTA
ahoroba wrote: You got lucky, but it was not a proper price-match.
The fillets at RCSS are skinless (at least in the Ontario flyer), whereas the ones at Food Basics are with skin (skin can easily be 7%-10% of the total weight, and most people do not eat the skin).
Also, RCSS fine print clearly state "We do not match PC Optimum™ member pricing", which I take it to mean that you cannot price-match other store and then take another $1 off as member pricing.
I believe an example of what they are referring to is last week's Loblaws $1.99 "members only"'deal on PC Sparkling Water.
This: loblaws-pc-blue-menu-sparkling-water-12 ... s-2380439/

I always get the points when price matching an item that happens to have an in-store points offer.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
97 posts
131 upvotes
GTA
You may be right; the staff member at the seafood counter did ask if it said skinless in the flyer. We told him it just says "salmon fish fillets," he shrugged, and agreed to price-match. So, YMMV depending on who you ask.
KevinJ32996 wrote: Nice! I price matched last week for $7.99 but this deal is even better! ... do you know if the in-store offer specific to the Scarborough location?
I feel like it's not but I can't say for sure.
FigNewton wrote: I think you got it for cheaper than 6.99 a pound.
I’m guessing 4.38 is the weight of that fish?
I think you're right, I calculated the price/lb again and came to around $6.39/lb!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25147 posts
21595 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I just discovered this at the Kitchener RCSS when I tried to PM FB's $8 lb. The guy was actually quite smug about it, proudly lecturing me on the distinction as if I should know better. Does Galen have a quota on how many customers his people manage to piss off every day with stuff like that? (I appreciate the guy was just following policy. But he could have been more polite about it. Or put a sign at the counter advising people of the distinction.)

As for the skin, it makes no sense to remove it. It's actually quite healthy. It's loaded with omega-3s. Since Galen is now posting cooking videos on the PCO offers pages maybe he could do a PSA on the benefits of salmon skin.

I broil salmon with the skin up so that it gets very crunchy. At that point it's easy to remove in one piece. Much tastier and healthier than popping omega-3 pills.

It's also a delicacy in other cultures. For instance sushi chefs keep all the trimmed skin for making salmon skin hand rolls/cones. Delicious.
That shouldn't matter. They can calculate the PM based on whichever price they like as long as I end up paying $8/lb. If their system subtracts another $1/lb at checkout then that's a bug their IT guys should deal with. I'm sure it can be done.

[In the US, where many stores offer discounts to their card carrying members AND proudly do PMs (even without the skin on/off gimmicks0, I'd imagine they've long ago dealt with these sorts of issues.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18655 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
is salmon better taste then king fish?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2396 posts
2491 upvotes
bylo wrote: [...] As for the skin, it makes no sense to remove it. It's actually quite healthy. It's loaded with omega-3s. [...]
For the "farm-raised salmon" that is the subject of this thread, I would not be so sure about the skin being "quite healthy". Plus, the skin has scales and slime on it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25147 posts
21595 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ahoroba wrote: For the "farm-raised salmon" that is the subject of this thread, I would not be so sure about the skin being "quite healthy".
If you believe that then you should also avoid the rest of the fish ;)
Plus, the skin has scales and slime on it.
How to Descale Salmon Fillets
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6574 posts
863 upvotes
Ottawa
never succesfully price match any meat or seafood deal in RCSS, always refused because "theirs are different, either different brand, different process, whatever", don't bother anymore.