Shopping Discussion

Real Canadian Superstore - in store price match policy change

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 12:34 pm
Jul 11, 2017
467 posts
407 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: I only try to price match a few items at max per visit (do people here actually try to price match their whole cart!?) but I always pull up the retailer's site directly after checking on flipp. Sure, that takes a bit longer, but it doesn't take nearly as long as going to the actual retailer. I haven't been given any hassle trying to price match at RCSS or No Frills (where I usually shop).
I will say when I am shopping for my close family friend in Whitby... Yes, we will normally price match an entire cart of product. Because when we do, it normally works out to a massive price difference and helps her family save on their grocery bill. It does take a little more time at the checkout, so we always let the cashier know and before COVID, we would always let the person who came behind us in line know too so they can decide to wait or choose a different till... We always organize it in the most efficient way we can to save time... Such as non-price match first, a divider where price matching begins, all the clippings on Flipp ready to go, etc. And at most, for two buggies full of goods, we will be 30 mins at checkout on average... So while it might seem like we are causing all these issues, we are only using the option that is available for ALL customers to do, just on a scale to cut 50% from my friends grocery budget to help her save more money.
Oct 14, 2015
74 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I price matched at RCSS today using the Flipp app with no problems. However, I did notice that the self-checkout employee who did the price matching for me had a hand-held counter in her hand, and she clicked it once for each item I price matched. I wonder if superstore is keeping track of the price matching?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4860 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Scarborough RCSS refused to do PM at self-checkouts.
wpgsahm wrote: I price matched at RCSS today using the Flipp app with no problems. However, I did notice that the self-checkout employee who did the price matching for me had a hand-held counter in her hand, and she clicked it once for each item I price matched. I wonder if superstore is keeping track of the price matching?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Mar 6, 2015
537 posts
200 upvotes
Center of the univer…
h2o- wrote: Scarborough RCSS refused to do PM at self-checkouts.
Same at my store. Used to be no pm at express lanes until early this year.
Jan 20, 2013
339 posts
158 upvotes
Really? I used the Flipp app the other day to have something price matched. It was the self checkout.
Sep 26, 2008
937 posts
222 upvotes
Ottawa
onquest wrote: Really? I used the Flipp app the other day to have something price matched. It was the self checkout.
You can no longer price match at self checkout at my local RCSS. There is a sign to that effect near the self checkout area. It's been the case since the spring.
May 1, 2017
19 posts
4 upvotes
Checked out 3 RCSS locations in my local area in Toronto and and all of them now indicate no price match at self-checkout. Before one of the three locations still honoured it, but last week when I went, they refused to do so.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3298 posts
1822 upvotes
Grazzhopper wrote: Checked out 3 RCSS locations in my local area in Toronto and and all of them now indicate no price match at self-checkout. Before one of the three locations still honoured it, but last week when I went, they refused to do so.
But can you still do price matching at full service lanes with cashier? If yes, what is RCSS trying to stop at self-checkout?
May 1, 2017
19 posts
4 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: But can you still do price matching at full service lanes with cashier? If yes, what is RCSS trying to stop at self-checkout?
Yes - customer service at all 3 locations told me PM still exists at full service lanes.

RCSS is stopping PM at self-checkout because the customer service worker isn't as protected as the cashier behind the plastic shield in the full service lanes during times of COVID. At self-checkout, the customer service worker will need to be near you as they look at your phone to confirm pricing at the competitor store - this was considered not safe in light of COVID.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8088 posts
4477 upvotes
Alberta
Grazzhopper wrote: Yes - customer service at all 3 locations told me PM still exists at full service lanes.

RCSS is stopping PM at self-checkout because the customer service worker isn't as protected as the cashier behind the plastic shield in the full service lanes during times of COVID. At self-checkout, the customer service worker will need to be near you as they look at your phone to confirm pricing at the competitor store - this was considered not safe in light of COVID.
x2. I price matched at a full service lane today at RCSS using the Flipp app with no problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4118 posts
4661 upvotes
GTA
tstorzuk wrote: WMPCOT,

Thanks for the information. I wanted to know if it was a BS policy that the store made up. I'll be calling corporate and finding out.
so what did corporate tell you?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15004 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sandikosh wrote: The issue with price matching with apps flipp or reebee, is that the buyer can log into any region in Canada just by putting in that area zip code. Cashiers are not as dumb as you think as they also price match. And please do not ask the cashier to use their cellphone to check for validity.
There are also more innocent situations. For instance last week navel oranges were on sale for $3/bag (at Food Basics IIRC.) I picked up a bag of navel oranges at RCSS and PM'd them using Flipp on my phone. When I got home and looked at the bag more closely I realized it was a 5lb bag. So if the cashier had scrutinized more closely they would have denied the PM. I was lucky. I could have picked up a 3lb and PM'd it against a 5lb bag.

P.S. I just PMed a bunch of stuff at RCSS in Kitchener using my, er Flipp-phone without any hassle.

The more important issue here is that with physical distancing and plexiglass barriers, etc. it's become a lot harder for cashiers to validate PMs. They don't want to get too close and they can't read a small phone screen through plexiglass. So stuff gets through that shouldn't. RCSS should install tablets at every cash with Flipp and Reebee so that cashiers can check PMs from their side of the counter. That's much safer for them and the tablets will soon pay for themselves in keeping PMs more "honest."

Unfortunately Flipp doesn't support printing. If it did one could just print off a PM list and hand it to the cashier. The print out would not only let the cashier ensure that they're PMing apples for apples but also check the postal/region code, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15004 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
IEpicDestroyer wrote: I only try to price match a few items at max per visit (do people here actually try to price match their whole cart!?) but I always pull up the retailer's site directly after checking on flipp. Sure, that takes a bit longer, but it doesn't take nearly as long as going to the actual retailer. I haven't been given any hassle trying to price match at RCSS or No Frills (where I usually shop).
I also PM strategically. If the difference is trivial I don't bother. But if I can save $1 or $2, why not? That's more advantageous than PCO points.

As for coming prepared, that should be a prerequisite so as not to slow up the queue. I put all PMs in Flipp's shopping list so they're all readily at hand. And I shop on Sundays at 7am so there's rarely anyone behind me at the cash.
h2o- wrote: Scarborough RCSS refused to do PM at self-checkouts.
PMing isn't allowed at any RCSS self checkouts. It's always been that way, i.e. nothing to do with COVID-19. It's simply too open to abuse.

Self-checkouts are sold on speed. If every PM at self-check required staff approval to prevent abuse, imagine the impact on the throughput of self-checkouts, never mind the added COVID-19 exposure.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2798 posts
2603 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: PMing isn't allowed at any RCSS self checkouts. It's always been that way, i.e. nothing to do with COVID-19. It's simply too open to abuse.

Self-checkouts are sold on speed. If every PM at self-check required staff approval to prevent abuse, imagine the impact on the throughput of self-checkouts, never mind the added COVID-19 exposure.
I PM'd at the self-checkout at my 3 local RCCS and No Frills before Covid all the time. I don't go during the busy times and there usually isn't a line waiting to use the self checkouts.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15004 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tew wrote: I PM'd at the self-checkout at my 3 local RCCS and No Frills before Covid all the time. I don't go during the busy times and there usually isn't a line waiting to use the self checkouts.
Strange. Our RCSS has had no-PM signs on the self-checkouts since I can remember. That was a long time before C-19.
veni, vidi, Visa