Expired Hot Deals

Real Canadian Superstore

XBox Series X, 1TB SSD - $600+Tax + BONUS 25% PC Optimum Points (150,000 or $150)

[OP]
Jul 24, 2022
118 posts
308 upvotes

[Real Canadian Superstore] XBox Series X, 1TB SSD - $600+Tax + BONUS 25% PC Optimum Points (150,000 or $150)

I saw this offer in the RCSS Ontario flyer, but may be available out West as well. Please confirm before going to your local RCSS outside Ontario.

The new RCSS flyer for Ontario, beginning August 18, is offering 25,000 PC Optimum Points for every $100 spent on electronics and other goods. Hidden in the flyer among all the various items available is the XBox Series X (1TB SDD) console for $600+tax. Adding in the tax, less the 150,000 PC Optimum Points ($150) brings the console down to $528 all in. Not as good a price as the XBox Series S, but the Series X is a few steps up in features.

This deal may be worthwhile for those XBox fans looking to upgrade from the XBox One X or, gulp, the XBox 360 (the latter still works in our home).

For those interested, it may be advisable to contact your local RCSS as soon as possible, since it does not look like they will have that many available for purchase (always the case when I go there). At this price, inventory should go quickly.

And don't forget to bring your Optimum Card...
xboxseriesxrcss.JPG
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 18th, 2022 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: corrected title
39 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2829 posts
2297 upvotes
Antarctica
Regular price is $599.99 + tax so nothing amazing apart from the optimum points.

For those, I will be lucky if I can find one in any of the 5 RCSS that I usually drive to. If I find an Xbox X there on the day of this deal, I’ll probably buy a lottery ticket instead.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1107 posts
1744 upvotes
You have a better chance finding a golden unicorn.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5211 posts
3674 upvotes
Vancouver
If you find it at sdm during a 20x promo, you actually get more points.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10565 posts
3697 upvotes
For the love of math, getting points back doesn't reduce your out of pocket spend on that transaction
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1107 posts
1744 upvotes
In the gta honestly. I don’t even try. It’s bad enough with shoppers.
Mar 21, 2012
625 posts
588 upvotes
Edmonton
clseea wrote: For the love of math, getting points back doesn't reduce your out of pocket spend on that transaction
it effectively does when youre spending that money on the same items at superstore anyway
May 1, 2008
158 posts
76 upvotes
Langley
I must not look … Flushed Face crap I looked .. sigh ..
Apr 7, 2012
499 posts
400 upvotes
gta
clseea wrote: For the love of math, getting points back doesn't reduce your out of pocket spend on that transaction
i agree in almost every other case; airmiles/scene/what ever other points there are.
but optimum are different category for me. i can do another transaction same day and buy grocery, i can price match at super store and get good deals. i am not stuck with the points if i dont wish to be.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2808 posts
4028 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ryanaz wrote: it effectively does when youre spending that money on the same items at superstore anyway
But what if you don't? That's some deep level rebuttal.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10565 posts
3697 upvotes
ryanaz wrote: it effectively does when youre spending that money on the same items at superstore anyway
It reduces your spend on the items you're buying next.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10565 posts
3697 upvotes
navyblue wrote: i agree in almost every other case; airmiles/scene/what ever other points there are.
but optimum are different category for me. i can do another transaction same day and buy grocery, i can price match at super store and get good deals. i am not stuck with the points if i dont wish to be.
Great, you're still not reducing your out of pocket spend on the initial transaction.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2022
118 posts
308 upvotes
While the 150,000 in PC Optimum points will not reduce the cost of the XBox Series X by $150, the points represent a highly liquid form of payment for other, basic and necessary goods when redeemed. Food...drugs...clothes...household items...meals...electronics...gasoline (Esso/Mobil) are easily purchased with points from the PC Optimum universe. These are not "stars" from Starbucks or points from Timmies to get a free coffee or donut, it is pretty close to cash without being cash.

And with a cash back credit card (in fact any credit card), it is easy to take advantage of the PC Optimum points as well. Pay for the XBox with a credit card, receive credit card reward points (an extra bonus by-the-way), wait for your PC Optimum points to appear on your account, spend the points on regular grocery items (or gas, etc.) that you would normally ($150 does not go that far unfortunately), and then pay the credit card bill before the deadline to avoid interest payments. Win win win. Repeat repeat repeat.

The PC Optimum program is highly successful and will likely expand further over time. Canadian Tire is developing a similar universe of payment and redeeming points, but lacks similar necessities. Air Miles is a convoluted mess of rules, limits and expired points. No grocery store chain has come close. PC Optimum is simple, straight forward and an effective cash alternative. Nowadays, I would rather have an Optimum card in my wallet than cash.

Take THAT to the (PC Optimum) Bank...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10565 posts
3697 upvotes
ImMrWorld wrote: While the 150,000 in PC Optimum points will not reduce the cost of the XBox Series X by $150, the points represent a highly liquid form of payment for other, basic and necessary goods when redeemed. Food...drugs...clothes...household items...meals...electronics...gasoline (Esso/Mobil) are easily purchased with points from the PC Optimum universe. These are not "stars" from Starbucks or points from Timmies to get a free coffee or donut, it is pretty close to cash without being cash.

And with a cash back credit card (in fact any credit card), it is easy to take advantage of the PC Optimum points as well. Pay for the XBox with a credit card, receive credit card reward points (an extra bonus by-the-way), wait for your PC Optimum points to appear on your account, spend the points on regular grocery items (or gas, etc.) that you would normally ($150 does not go that far unfortunately), and then pay the credit card bill before the deadline to avoid interest payments. Win win win. Repeat repeat repeat.

The PC Optimum program is highly successful and will likely expand further over time. Canadian Tire is developing a similar universe of payment and redeeming points, but lacks similar necessities. Air Miles is a convoluted mess of rules, limits and expired points. No grocery store chain has come close. PC Optimum is simple, straight forward and an effective cash alternative. Nowadays, I would rather have an Optimum card in my wallet than cash.

Thanks Galen
The title is misleading on purpose then I guess
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23178 posts
8202 upvotes
I haven't been to the RCSS in ages. Now that I have the eBike, they are only a couple minutes away so I can go check. I don't need another X though and the ones at my local SDM got sold last week but there might be something else in with the redemption this weekend...

Thanks anyway...
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1946 posts
2982 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Not too shabby!

Could also go with a Shopper's Redemption Event or 40% Points Back promo if you see one in store.

Personally I pre-ordered and just used PCO points to pay for it (max allowed $500) on launch lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3370 posts
3687 upvotes
Prince George
ImMrWorld wrote: While the 150,000 in PC Optimum points will not reduce the cost of the XBox Series X by $150, the points represent a highly liquid form of payment for other, basic and necessary goods when redeemed. Food...drugs...clothes...household items...meals...electronics...gasoline (Esso/Mobil) are easily purchased with points from the PC Optimum universe. These are not "stars" from Starbucks or points from Timmies to get a free coffee or donut, it is pretty close to cash without being cash.

That's all well and good as long as you treat the points as cash when you spend them. In particular, NOT "I'm getting this for free since I used points", since you already deducted the value of those points when you earned them. They do not count twice.

Retailers know we love to fall into the trap of counting discounts towards a future purchase twice. That's why almost all rewards programs are now done that way - points/discount towards a future purchase, never the current one. Humans are highly susceptible to it.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3676 posts
5575 upvotes
Bruh that's no deal, RCSS is ripping you off $0.01 before bonus points... Upside-down Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)