• Feb 18th, 2019 8:57 am
[OP]
Jun 20, 2012
174 posts
4 upvotes
MARKHAM

Real Estate Agent in Markham

Hi,
I am about to start the process to sell my house and buy another house. Can someone please recommend a good and trustworthy real estate agent based on your experience.

Based on the suggestions by someone in one of the other threads, how realistic it is to interview the agents and then choosing one of them:

"I would suggest contacting 3 different agents and tell them they are being interviewed and you want a written report from them. Ask them for a realistic selling price for your home including the 3 comparable homes sold. Ask them for their marketing plan in writing - what will they be doing over and above what other agents might do. Ask them to list their commission to sell and what it will be if you agree to use them to purchase their next home. "
9 replies
Dec 29, 2017
285 posts
210 upvotes
I wish there was empirical data of every registered agent with respect to their selling activity. If anyone has such data, please share.
Sep 14, 2007
898 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto Realty Blog just did an article about agents' annual activity.
He's got the numbers charted down but not the names of which specific agents. Apparently the top agent is represented by a brokerage with multiple agents, but with cumulative total of 603 deals in the past 12 months.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5792 posts
2958 upvotes
Thornhill
stryder1587 wrote: Toronto Realty Blog just did an article about agents' annual activity.
He's got the numbers charted down but not the names of which specific agents. Apparently the top agent is represented by a brokerage with multiple agents, but with cumulative total of 603 deals in the past 12 months.
There is much about such compiled statistics that causes them to be significantly misrepresented and unfortunately such stats are often used to try and disparage others.

Not all Realtors are active in sales - the number includes thousands of: office staff, managers and owners and registered assistants; Realtors who deal only in commercial; Realtors who sell only new construction products mostly outside of MLS; Realtors who deal solely with leasing; Realtors who work for corporations as their real estate managers; Realtors who form part of a team but are not credited with the sale; Realtors in it solely to manage their own/family benefit. Retired Realtors.

And also, Realtors who belong to TREB but only as a secondary board so as to market in a larger market where needed. These include Realtors from all boards, Mississauga, Hamilton, Cottage country.

Realtors in suburban and cottage areas have fewer properties to sell than those within the metropolitan areas and should not be measured the same way. Often they are actually more skilled and knowledgeable than the city Realtor.

Teams particularly skew the data as they are often comprised of newbies in a revolving door. That is, a team may comprise of 10, 20, even 50 persons at any given time but in actuality the number of team members during the course of the year was significantly more than that. As well, there are hundreds of two person teams where both names are credited for the sale on the board's system but only the first name is credited in such third party stats so as to not misrepresent the total sales.

Finally, here's one stat that you'll be hard-pressed to find Realtor stating: One person has consistently led the field racking up the highest number of sales for several years now, yet, he is involved in actually selling very few, offers mostly a fsbo listing service and is thus not actually practicing in the same way and is credited for the sales taken by dozens of other people.

His name is Randall Weese of Comfree.

So take such stats with a grain of salt. Do your due diligence. Hire based on knowledge, ethics, and what they have to offer you.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4935 upvotes
Here 'n There
reachme wrote: Hi,
I am about to start the process to sell my house and buy another house. Can someone please recommend a good and trustworthy real estate agent based on your experience.

Based on the suggestions by someone in one of the other threads, how realistic it is to interview the agents and then choosing one of them:

"I would suggest contacting 3 different agents and tell them they are being interviewed and you want a written report from them. Ask them for a realistic selling price for your home including the 3 comparable homes sold. Ask them for their marketing plan in writing - what will they be doing over and above what other agents might do. Ask them to list their commission to sell and what it will be if you agree to use them to purchase their next home. "
Unrealistic. Anyone can talk up a good story and wear nice clothes. The proof is in the pudding. Ask around and see if your friends or work colleagues have any recommendations. Get a brief one page marketing plan from each. Any more than that is just filler. They're mostly cutting and pasting from other plans anyway.

There is not much a listing agent can do to sell your home really, except for staging the house, creating a nice brochure, have a flowery but accurate MLS listing, some pics and maybe an online video and an agents open house, but most important 2.5% commish to the buying agent. Once listed it's the 80,000 agents in Ontario that are looking for a home for their client that do 95% of the work, not the listing agent. It's not as if the listing agent is knocking on doors trying to sell your home or calling all those 80,000 agents. As for realistic selling price most sellers like to go with the one that says their home is worth the most. Don't fall into that trap.

Agents on here have kept telling me they have secret sauce in addition to what I have described above to selling a home. I became an agent and found that is all bogus. If your home does not sell and your agent has done all of the above then, as one of the most successful agents in Toronto told me again recently, "If the house doesn't eventually sell the price is too high".
[OP]
Jun 20, 2012
174 posts
4 upvotes
MARKHAM
thanks All. @eonibm I understand that but from listing perspective, staging and marketing is a big part of sale pitch, isn't it ? Even that's a one time thing to do but still that could be the difference between a buyer liking the place or not (and as we are looking to buy as well, that's what we look for online before we actually visit the place to spend our time, could be just me), so far I haven't received any 'recommendations' for realtors
Feb 18, 2011
98 posts
23 upvotes
The agent is going to make you pay for staging. There is not much else an agent does. Realtor.ca advertises for you. This is why listing fees have come down. You can get away paying an agent 1% to list. There is effort and time involved In showing places and negotiating. That's why what you should always pay at least 2.25% if not 2.5% coop commission to the buyer agent.
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1426 upvotes
Reach out to team rajpal. Great realtors who have helped many sell and buy over the years. There’s a reason you see their signs everywhere versus no name realtors
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.