Real Estate

Real Estate Lawyer from Packagedlaw.com: Anyone use?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2016 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 2, 2008
162 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto

Real Estate Lawyer from Packagedlaw.com: Anyone use?

https://www.packagedlaw.com/index

Is this a scam?
It asks me to pre-pay a fee of $75 so i can...book a lawyer first...actual lawyer costs will be paid when i meet the lawyer

I am looking to BUY + SELL a property.
Based on sale price of just under $500k for condo (closing Mid Aug), and purchase price of close to $800k for a house (closing beginning of Sept), with lawyers some i've seen around so the lawyers look reputable
Quoted rates are VERY LOW as i'm getting quotes of approx $1500 total give or take for both the BUY and SALE together!!

After i get a quote, it says:

Included:
All Legal Fees
All Disbursements
No Hidden Costs
Tax Rebates
Arrange Title Insurance
Satisfaction Guarantee

But when i look at the FAQ page....
"What is NOT included in the price:
Certain disbursements that you pay directly to third parties – these include title insurance, land transfer tax / registration fees in some provinces, where they vary based on the price of the property. These fees are the same regardless of what lawyer you use. They are not included in the price quote because we believe in transparency of pricing."

So Title Insurance....that is included or not included? Confused on that as its a fairly large cost it can be

I assume HST and Courier costs are not included but not sure and of course land transfer tax but still, even adding those on it seems dirt cheap as I would assume about $2k in costs but i think i am getting quotes of mostly $3k from other sites....am i still missing something on the costs?
Anyone with experience with this site?

One lawyer that is convenient there location wise for me:
M.A Noor Law Office. Barrister, Solicitor and Mediator

Looks ok though he has no website

Just seeing if anyone has an experience with Packagedlaw....and why don't I just call the lawyer directly instead? Would the fees be more calling the lawyer instead of through Packagedlaw?

Just wondering but i will try to verify later on the weekday

Thanks
3 replies
Mar 10, 2016
14 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Your realtor should have a list of lawyers they trust and worked with in the past that they can recommend to you. You need to make sure you understand everything that is included in the price of the lawyer. If you don't feel comfortable with the situation, you should call other lawyers . Might be a little more expensive, but better safe then sorry.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5825 posts
2976 upvotes
Thornhill
Here's the problem with some of legal services - they do not all provide the same level of service. This one you quoted state the price includes the legal services they provide but that tells you nothing. For example for a buyer you would want one that does more than the cursory title search, you want them to do any executable searches as well just prior to closing and to search for outstanding permits instead of relying on title insurance to cover for sub-standard due diligence which is what title insurance essential is doing and to make sure all utilities where allowed and property taxes are properly accounted for and registered on the day of closing between seller and buyer.

The lower the fee the more likely it is that your file is dependent on a newby law clerk or third-rate lawyer and the more likely you are to run into problems.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1642 posts
799 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Well technically they wrote arranging for title insurance is included not the actual price of title insurance and tax rebates are just forms they fill out if they are eligible. They did not state they are including the price of the tax just the forms he will fill out for you.