• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2018 11:50 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2016
420 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto

REAL GRASS vs ARTIFICIAL GRASS......

Hey guys .I have been thinking about coverering front yard of my house with artificial grass. ...its not a lot of area .i would say roughly the size of a average room roll should cover it.14 x 18 feet should do it ....

My questions are

Is it worth it .i mean it looks beautiful but i have heard about it getting blanched out by sun and that u have to comb it every year otgerwose it gets badly tangled

Other question is how much life do these thibgs have ...5 yrs 10 yrs 15 yrs ....i know it depends upon the brand itself but m asking on an average.

Any other pros cons of it comapred to real grass .nackyard i am leaving as it is as my back yard is not that big probably 20 x 45 ' ....thinking of doing a full on low height deck .so i am not worried about frass in backyard

Any help would be appreciated and would help me decide which one to go for .BTW thia is the grass i am looking at ....Your text to link here...
Thanks
5 replies
Aug 20, 2007
128 posts
101 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
my 2cents: If you were to do it in your backyard, I'd say go for it! Great for you, kids, etc. It's awesome!....but in your front: I'd say no way! I have it in my backyard and love it....but I'd never do it in my front, and would hate for any of my neighbors to do it. Even though I love mine, it's definitely cheesy looking, and I'd say a bit tacky in the front.
If you're sick of mowing and/or weeding, I'd recommend removing the grass and put in a rock garden or natural wild garden or something like this:
http://www.artistic-law.com/wp-content/ ... -grass.jpg
A nice compromise would be to install just a bit of fake grass, perhaps as a meandering pathway, hidden by rocks, water feature, or a garden...

although speaking of neighbors, I'd much rather you (a house with fake grass) than someone who didn't care, didn't mow, didn't weed, etc.

...of course, just my thoughts :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7757 posts
5242 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I don't think artificial grass ever looks "right". I wouldn't put it in my front yard.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19730 posts
23139 upvotes
GTA
Fake turf is also pretty bad for the ecosystem.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
757 upvotes
Ontario
engineered wrote: Fake turf is also pretty bad for the ecosystem.
Yep! Terrible for the environment, also you would have to check your local by-laws as it might be illegal, essentially because of the environmental impact.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10150 posts
4424 upvotes
Vaughan
Amazing yard! Wondering where can I get the vase (big or small one) in the picture. Trying to get one for my backyard Japanese garden theme.
quisibo wrote: my 2cents: If you were to do it in your backyard, I'd say go for it! Great for you, kids, etc. It's awesome!....but in your front: I'd say no way! I have it in my backyard and love it....but I'd never do it in my front, and would hate for any of my neighbors to do it. Even though I love mine, it's definitely cheesy looking, and I'd say a bit tacky in the front.
If you're sick of mowing and/or weeding, I'd recommend removing the grass and put in a rock garden or natural wild garden or something like this:
http://www.artistic-law.com/wp-content/ ... -grass.jpg
A nice compromise would be to install just a bit of fake grass, perhaps as a meandering pathway, hidden by rocks, water feature, or a garden...

although speaking of neighbors, I'd much rather you (a house with fake grass) than someone who didn't care, didn't mow, didn't weed, etc.

...of course, just my thoughts :)