My request was declined, and NBAStore wanted me to pay for return shipping.freakyflow wrote: ↑ I’m in the same boat but I requested 50% off the ball or send me the prepaid shipping label for the case I already received if I decide to cancel. Awaiting their reply.
I would call back and escalate to get your prepaid shippping label - they shouldn’t put it on you to pay for return when they didn’t fulfill their end of the deal. Or worst maybe file a chargeback with the credit card and keep the case
After the chat ended, NBAStore cancelled my ball order immediately. Now I'm stuck with the case.