Food & Drink

A Real Steak Knife Makes a *REAL* Difference! (PHOTOS)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2015 7:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20880 posts
5455 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

A Real Steak Knife Makes a *REAL* Difference! (PHOTOS)

Being an RFDer, I'm pretty price-conscious and try to avoid expenses on flashy but unnecessary stuff. I also love to cook and eat steak, so I took a risk here and got myself a real steak knife.

Previously, I was using this Brazilian-made knife, which was decent, but until now I never experienced that joy that is cutting and eating steak carved with a true high-quality implement. I picked up a Wusthof 4068 knife and I've been greatly impressed.

The key thing is that this knife is ultra-sharp and therefore can cut much finer / thinner slices of meat versus the hacksaw action from my old Brazilian knife. Really, it's like "a knife through butter!" :lol: This allows the steaks to be enjoyed through many more morsels, and the smaller pieces are also much easier to chew and enjoy all the drippy juices and flavour.

If you enjoy steak as much as I do, I strongly suggest you invest in a good steak knife as it does have a real effect on the culinary enjoyment.

Photos:

It cuts through both the meat and fat extremely easily:

A perfectly carved morsel:
- casual gastronomist -
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2487 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Damn bro that's pretty raw!
yeah, rare and raw are different things
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6938 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Nice cut, blue rare is a little under for me, but that steak is seriously consistent with your username!
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes
Looks good! Are those knives safe for the dishwasher?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20880 posts
5455 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
zibzer wrote: Looks good! Are those knives safe for the dishwasher?
I have no idea as I never put cutlery of any type in the dishwasher.
The packaging does not specify if it is dishwasher safe.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5087 posts
960 upvotes
Peterborough
Cool knife.

The steak almost looks like tuna.

Well done crust - rare middle.

How did you cook it?
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18706 posts
5650 upvotes
Toronto
Thank-you for not being spam for Cut co Knives. :lol:
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1772 posts
1285 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Thank-you for not being spam for Cut co Knives. :lol:
I bought a set of those, before I knew better, and now that I know, I know I over paid. Good knives though, as they are still going strong with regular sharpening, but definitely not my go to knives everyday. The steak ones are tiny.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
111 posts
14 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
I'm old fashioned. I just buy whatever and then I buy a diamond grinding stone and grind it to perfection.

Theres a youtube video somewhere, where a chef compares a super expensive named brand professional chef's knife vs a cheap knife from the dollar store that he ground sharp himself. The performance was not detectable by other professional chefs who couldn't tell. It means you just need to know how to sharpen it properly.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3942 posts
2686 upvotes
Montreal
peanutavocado wrote: I'm old fashioned. I just buy whatever and then I buy a diamond grinding stone and grind it to perfection.

Theres a youtube video somewhere, where a chef compares a super expensive named brand professional chef's knife vs a cheap knife from the dollar store that he ground sharp himself. The performance was not detectable by other professional chefs who couldn't tell. It means you just need to know how to sharpen it properly.
Sharpness isn't the difference, it's how long it stays sharp.

But in case of steak knives that bumps into ceramic plates all the time it probably doesn't make much difference.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
111 posts
14 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
jzmtl wrote: Sharpness isn't the difference, it's how long it stays sharp.

But in case of steak knives that bumps into ceramic plates all the time it probably doesn't make much difference.
You can always resharpen. Professional chefs sharpen their expensive pro knives daily also anyway. It literally takes maybe under 5 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Knives are often all just tool steel. In practice it doesn't make too big of a difference regarding blade hardness because your knife is still going to be a lot harder than any surface it contacts when cutting. "high end" professional chefs knives are just marketing for the most parts.

Some do it for the looks though. Like those damascus steel knives with the fancy pantsy wavy patterns in the steel. They make the knife look good. Actually those damascus steels (which are a few types of steels mixed together in layers) are likely even more soft than maybe some cheap dollar store knife made of normal tool steel.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)