[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver

Really annoyed with Sony PS!

I may have taken the wrong route with my issue but here it is:

New PS4. I setup it up. Hit the “free trial” for 14 days I think it was to PlayStation plus. As I went through the process something wasn’t working right. None the less I saw a charge for $14.99. When I had hit the “try for 14 days”.

I was annoyed so I opened a ticket with PayPal. It was resolved. I got the $14.99 refunded.

Today I can’t logiin. Chatted with two reps online. For some reason the second guy told me I’m blocked UNTIL I pay them $14.99

Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. On top of that my account added 3 months to PlayStation plus a week ago.

I’m very annoyed.

Has this happened to anyone. I have to call them mon to Friday. So this being the weekend and the time I play. Can’t go online.

Ugh
34 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2098 posts
1579 upvotes
Montreal
You should have contacted Sony to get a refund instead of going to PayPal. Because the way you did it, Sony sees you make a purchase, then take the money back, so they block your account. I don't know what happened with you being charged when you were trying to start the trial, but again, that's something you should have contacted Sony about.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah I admit I should have gone that route as well. The console was new. I was struggling to get it up and running. Rushing maybe. And then I saw the email from PayPal for $14.99 charge. So instantly thought this was the route.

My fault for going this route but still poor service from PS Sony imo. And them telling me to buy gift cards for $14.99 to pay them back lol. Terrible.

I owe the, zilch and have no time dealing with them again.

Pretty disappointed how they hand,ed this rather than contacting me first, explaining what happened.

Had enough. When I take the console back to B.B. do I need to wipe the hdd?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2581 posts
5756 upvotes
Windsor
Why do u need to wipe the hdd?

Its just ur PSN acount and console get permabanned by Sony until u pay off ur 'debt'.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10029 posts
4402 upvotes
Sony, Steam, and Microsoft will ban or lock your accounts if you go directly your credit card company or paypal and ask for a chargeback saying the charges were unauthorized.
A chargeback is you telling your bank that money was taken from your account fraudulently. The seller gets charged a fee for not providing enough security against fraud as well as losing the money involved, and if a certain level of chargebacks are incurred against a seller, heavy fines are incurred and they are blacklisted by credit card companies from being able to take credit card payments at all.
sources:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-do-s ... s.1298205/
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... h=50dcd01f

You probably should have called their customer service before claiming a chargeback.
You have to disable auto-renewal in your account settings on both Playstation and XBox if you do not want to be automatically billed whenever you add membership subscriptions
to your accounts because on both platforms they are set to auto-renew unless you manually disable it in your account settings.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
mymuro wrote: Why do u need to wipe the hdd?

Its just ur PSN acount and console get permabanned by Sony until u pay off ur 'debt'.
I dnot have a debt
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
XFactor11 wrote: Sony, Steam, and Microsoft will ban or lock your accounts if you go directly your credit card company or paypal and ask for a chargeback saying the charges were unauthorized.

And this issue had noth8ng to do with renewing. It was a trail I wanted to start and ps offered.

sources:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-do-s ... s.1298205/
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... h=50dcd01f

You probably should have called their customer service before claiming a chargeback.
You have to disable auto-renewal in your account settings on both Playstation and XBox if you do not want to be automatically billed whenever you add membership subscriptions
to your accounts because on both platforms they are set to auto-renew unless you manually disable it in your account settings.
Thanks. I agree I should have gone that route but as mentioned I hurried thru the setup. Saw the trial, hit trial. All of a sudden they charged me $14.99
Aug 20, 2009
8968 posts
4228 upvotes
These companies have a zero tolerance policy for chargebacks, pretty standard in the industry. I remember you bought an Xbox too so make sure you take a look at your Xbox account settings because they do the same thing there with XBL, Game Pass and etc.

To be honest I think you got good customer service. They offered to unban you if you just settle up the outstanding account. They could've just said they wouldn't reopen the account period, I've seen that with Steam users before.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13141 posts
2577 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyways I don’t owe them $14.99. I’ve moved on from ps. I’ll stick to my Xbox. Too many consoles.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9150 posts
6342 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Anyways I don’t owe them $14.99. I’ve moved on from ps. I’ll stick to my Xbox. Too many consoles.
I would try to sort it out. Tons of great exclusives only on PS which is an area Xbox is sorely lacking in. You don't even need PS+ for any of the good PS4 games
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
3292 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Holy penny pinchers
To the moon
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4152 posts
521 upvotes
^ this is redflagdeals...nothing is wrong with disputing a charge even if it's only $15

OP I share your frustrations, PS services didn't come through for me and I had to go through facebook to contact them

I don't even bother with online/PS+, I wouldn't dismiss the entire ecosystem though, lots of worthwhile games still
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2336 posts
1471 upvotes
Sounds to me like your trial ran out and you got charged for the service.

Or you simply signed up for 1 month of service and got billed.

I fail to see how this is Sony’s fault...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8352 posts
8346 upvotes
Toronto
OP was too rushed to play MLB: The Show. Neutral Face
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: When I take the console back to B.B. do I need to wipe the hdd?
Make sure you don't initiate a chargeback with your credit card provider to try to return the console....
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4831 posts
1490 upvotes
The real issue isn't the penny pinching. It's that the OP in multiple threads has talked about how he's never taken the direct route for anything PS related. Instead he keeps going the roundabout way.

Sign up for PS Plus directly through the PS4 dashboard and PS Store? Nah, I'll use the web browser.
Pay with credit card? Nah, I'll pay with PayPal.
Get the 1-year PS Plus membership immediately instead of the 14-day trial? Nah, I want to worry about not having access in a couple of weeks.
Try to stack the free trial on top of the 14-day trial? It's against Sony policy but I'll try it anyways then blame Sony when it doesn't work.
Try to cancel a service by contacting Sony directly who knows best on how to fix the problem? Nah, I'll dispute it and go through PayPal.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4152 posts
521 upvotes
^ aside from stacking trials, I see nothing wrong with any of that
paypal dispute takes a few minute, Sony you might have to sit on the phone for 45 minute, and no promises they'll resolve it then.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9150 posts
6342 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing wrong with using PayPal and I've used it on PS store, Steam and other gaming sites for many years with zero issues. It's very convenient for seeing all your purchases in one place and it makes changing credit cards for recurring payments quick and easy. I never give my CC directly to merchants unless they don't accept paypal which thankfully is rare
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2098 posts
1579 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote: paypal dispute takes a few minute, Sony you might have to sit on the phone for 45 minute, and no promises they'll resolve it then.
Sure, if you don't care about your PS account (or Xbox or Steam or whatever) and you just want your money back, then go through PayPal. But if you don't want your account locked/suspended/etc., then go through Sony.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2581 posts
5756 upvotes
Windsor
Mulder and Scully wrote: The real issue isn't the penny pinching. It's that the OP in multiple threads has talked about how he's never taken the direct route for anything PS related. Instead he keeps going the roundabout way.

Sign up for PS Plus directly through the PS4 dashboard and PS Store? Nah, I'll use the web browser.
Pay with credit card? Nah, I'll pay with PayPal.
Get the 1-year PS Plus membership immediately instead of the 14-day trial? Nah, I want to worry about not having access in a couple of weeks.
Try to stack the free trial on top of the 14-day trial? It's against Sony policy but I'll try it anyways then blame Sony when it doesn't work.
Try to cancel a service by contacting Sony directly who knows best on how to fix the problem? Nah, I'll dispute it and go through PayPal.
LMAO someone still leave CC info after Sony got all PSN account info stolen back in 2011Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes