• May 2nd, 2020 12:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7798 posts
4133 upvotes
Alberta

Is it really that hard to stay home?

You hear it constantly on the radio and TV for people to stay home to prevent the spread of covid-19. But, when I look outside at the freeway and intersection behind my house, there's just hundreds of cars going by all the time. The mall parking lot across the street is full everyday and the Safeway is just packed. Is it really that hard for people to stay home? I only go out when I absolutely have to and when I have to go to work. How are we ever going to get rid of this pandemic when it's like a normal day for some people?
106 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9189 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
Humans and Obedience.
Mix it in with selfishness.
This is the reason it keeps spreading.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1743 posts
284 upvotes
Pluto
Well, the government isn't giving us a date for when we can go back outside.

Am I supposed to stay at home for six months? A year? Ten years?

Give us an end date and maybe people will start cooperating!

Maybe the government should have taken it seriously back when it was still winter time and people didn't want to go outside, instead now they want to lock things down when the weather is nice.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7798 posts
4133 upvotes
Alberta
Purgatory wrote: Well, the government isn't giving us a date for when we can go back outside.

Maybe the government should have taken it seriously back when it was still winter time and people didn't want to go outside, instead now they want to lock things down when the weather is nice.
Where are you at? Nowhere in Canada that I know of where that the gov't is preventing you from going outside.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8803 posts
10084 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote: You hear it constantly on the radio and TV for people to stay home to prevent the spread of covid-19. But, when I look outside at the freeway and intersection behind my house, there's just hundreds of cars going by all the time. The mall parking lot across the street is full everyday and the Safeway is just packed. Is it really that hard for people to stay home? I only go out when I absolutely have to and when I have to go to work. How are we ever going to get rid of this pandemic when it's like a normal day for some people?
Has traffic really not quieted down in your area at all? It's dropped of really sharply here. Cycling has never been so enjoyable; it's a great way to stay fit while maintaining distance from others, and roads are nice and quiet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8861 posts
2803 upvotes
Purgatory wrote: Well, the government isn't giving us a date for when we can go back outside.

That's just ridiculous. The directive - it's a world directive actually - unless you are an essential worker, stay home unless you need to get food, exercise or have medical appointments. Have you not been watching the news? and if you must go outside ...well you should know the routine by now
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8803 posts
10084 upvotes
Vancouver
Purgatory wrote: Maybe the government should have taken it seriously back when it was still winter time and people didn't want to go outside, instead now they want to lock things down when the weather is nice.
Let me guess. If the government had ordered lockdowns and the other restrictions way back then, you would have called them economy-killing, freedom-hating, science-ignoring, big-brother alarmists. Right?
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10104 posts
708 upvotes

You can go outside though but do you have to act like nothing is going on?

Taking a walk early in the morning or at night would be the best way to do it. Keep six feet away. Do not congregate.

The rules are very simple. If you cannot follow this then that is really on you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5811 posts
985 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: You hear it constantly on the radio and TV for people to stay home to prevent the spread of covid-19. But, when I look outside at the freeway and intersection behind my house, there's just hundreds of cars going by all the time. The mall parking lot across the street is full everyday and the Safeway is just packed. Is it really that hard for people to stay home? I only go out when I absolutely have to and when I have to go to work. How are we ever going to get rid of this pandemic when it's like a normal day for some people?
What mall? Grocery stores are open as we gotta eat. In Mississauga it's pretty dead.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7798 posts
4133 upvotes
Alberta
Kiraly wrote: Has traffic really not quieted down in your area at all? It's dropped of really sharply here. Cycling has never been so enjoyable; it's a great way to stay fit while maintaining distance from others, and roads are nice and quiet.
It's probably dropped about 50-60% but some days you look outside like yesterday afternoon, I'd swear it's like rush hour.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1743 posts
284 upvotes
Pluto
Kiraly wrote: Let me guess. If the government had ordered lockdowns and the other restrictions way back then, you would have called them economy-killing, freedom-hating, science-ignoring, big-brother alarmists. Right?
Nope. I knew this was going to be serious when China was locking everything down. I started stocking up on food back in January.

In fact, I made a post on here about stocking up on enough food for a few months because this was going to be serious and was called a hoarder and conspiracist.
Last edited by Purgatory on Apr 12th, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6329 posts
3230 upvotes
Aurora
I dunno. I suppose in a city of 3,000,000 people and assuming at any one time, 5% of them will have to do something essential like groceries or health care, that would still mean 150,000 people out and about - difficult to avoid that in a large city. And that's not including people responsibly keeping active outside for mental health reasons.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5811 posts
985 upvotes

I agree perhaps they should have said we need to get to Xxx ( realistic target)...before we can begin to lift some restrictions. With having no end date motivates no one
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: Humans and Obedience.
Mix it in with selfishness.
This is the reason it keeps spreading.
The reason it keeps spreading is because there are airliners full of people from overseas still landing at our airports, yet the government wants me to keep myself inside my house?