• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 9:27 am
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
849 posts
206 upvotes
Woodbridge

Realtor post-showing comments

So listed a TWO YEAR OLD house for sale.
Had a showing right away and buying agent post-showing claims that "not maintained well, too many work to be done". Set aside poor English.
A house is ONLY two years old, after closing from builder took my time to do all 30-90 day small fixups with builder before renting it out. The house WAS tenanted 1.5 years ONLY.
After tenants were out replaced carpet and put a new hardwood floors throughout. Repainted the entire house.
My realtor is somehow making this feedback a big deal as if we BETTER take into considerations prospective buyers comments.
I feel this to be bit unfair. Yes the house WILL show some usage marks, it is NOT brand new never lived in, so would you expect ABSOLUTE zero wear and tear on the house?
I am really puzzled.
I went through the house again what can be replaced those minor things here and there and in my mind calculated what it costs on the market to have it done (I am currently doing my basement in another home I own so kind of know the current costs). And all these minor things that I could find replaced, repainted (say i didn't repaint exterior front porch columns, that has a little paint chipped, yes that can be painted) fixed etc still won't amount more than few thousand dollars. It is really puzzling what stops prospective buyer to make an offer having in mind this (substract and make an offer if you are interested) instead of just making comments that "your house isn't maintained well and needs lots of work".
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1733 posts
671 upvotes
Calgary
why are you so riled up over one comment? when we had ours listed back in 2016 we had similar comments. we just waited and the right buyer came by and took it as is. Just wait it out.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4109 posts
3612 upvotes
^^^ I agree. I wouldn't let one comment sway me.

You do though need to understand that there are some buyers who will not buy a house if they deem that there is too much work to do. These buyers are not interested in your thought of simply deduct the costs of the repairs from the asking price. They don't want the hassle. They want a turn key move in home.

I would wait for more feedback. I would suggest though if the items are truly minor in nature you way want to take a couple of hours and fix them, especially if they are noticeable.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
849 posts
206 upvotes
Woodbridge
masarwar wrote: why are you so riled up over one comment? when we had ours listed back in 2016 we had similar comments. we just waited and the right buyer came by and took it as is. Just wait it out.
My realtor is asking us to go together and check the house and see what is going on with these comments. It is not me it is my realtor is making a huge deal. Not sure why. When I saw this feedback I didn't even pay attention to it. Then my realtor called me and made it a big deal and keeps insisting we should take it seriously, go check house and then make a call. Is this just another tactics of pushing your client to lower the sell price or target sell price etc? I guess these days you can't trust noone, there isn't really MY realtor concept, it is just a selling agent and these probably are ONLY interested closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes, just like there is no such thing as buyer's realtor, it is just the other's side of agent, and they too are JUST interested in closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1733 posts
671 upvotes
Calgary
erexa wrote: My realtor is asking us to go together and check the house and see what is going on with these comments. It is not me it is my realtor is making a huge deal. Not sure why. When I saw this feedback I didn't even pay attention to it. Then my realtor called me and made it a big deal and keeps insisting we should take it seriously, go check house and then make a call. Is this just another tactics of pushing your client to lower the sell price or target sell price etc? I guess these days you can't trust noone, there isn't really MY realtor concept, it is just a selling agent and these probably are ONLY interested closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes, just like there is no such thing as buyer's realtor, it is just the other's side of agent, and they too are JUST interested in closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes.
Just tell him you will wait for more feedback before taking action.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
849 posts
206 upvotes
Woodbridge
masarwar wrote: Just tell him you will wait for more feedback before taking action.
good thanks!
Nov 30, 2005
997 posts
398 upvotes
Belleville, ON
erexa wrote: My realtor is asking us to go together and check the house and see what is going on with these comments. It is not me it is my realtor is making a huge deal. Not sure why. When I saw this feedback I didn't even pay attention to it. Then my realtor called me and made it a big deal and keeps insisting we should take it seriously, go check house and then make a call. Is this just another tactics of pushing your client to lower the sell price or target sell price etc? I guess these days you can't trust noone, there isn't really MY realtor concept, it is just a selling agent and these probably are ONLY interested closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes, just like there is no such thing as buyer's realtor, it is just the other's side of agent, and they too are JUST interested in closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes.
I wouldn't be so paranoid about your realtor but I wouldn't overreact based on 1 comment either. First week of listing is the most critical so I would do my best to address any potential issue now. More it sits, more likely people will have a bad opinion of it, whether true or not.
Last edited by ZxExN on Jun 2nd, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5892 posts
3049 upvotes
Thornhill
erexa wrote: ...Had a showing right away and buying agent post-showing claims that "not maintained well, too many work to be done". Set aside poor English....

My realtor is somehow making this feedback a big deal as if we BETTER take into considerations prospective buyers comments.
I feel this to be bit unfair. Yes the house WILL show some usage marks, it is NOT brand new never lived in, so would you expect ABSOLUTE zero wear and tear on the house?
I am really puzzled.
Take a look around rfd and note how many properties are given negative commentary by people not even in the market to buy them. Your Realtor requested feedback and the buyer's Realtor obliged - it is very unlikely the buyer's Realtor would have bothered to give any feedback otherwise.
erexa wrote:
... it is just a selling agent and these probably are ONLY interested closing the deal ASAP for whatever it takes,
if that was true they either would have submitted an offer pleasing to you or submitted a less than desirable offer with the negative commentary and somehow hope that by insulting your property you'll be interested in closing the deal asap.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1713 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
erexa wrote: So listed a TWO YEAR OLD house for sale.
Had a showing right away and buying agent post-showing claims that "not maintained well, too many work to be done". Set aside poor English.
A house is ONLY two years old, after closing from builder took my time to do all 30-90 day small fixups with builder before renting it out. The house WAS tenanted 1.5 years ONLY.
After tenants were out replaced carpet and put a new hardwood floors throughout. Repainted the entire house.
I am really puzzled.
I went through the house again what can be replaced those minor things here and there and in my mind calculated what it costs on the market to have it done (I am currently doing my basement in another home I own so kind of know the current costs). And all these minor things that I could find replaced, repainted (say i didn't repaint exterior front porch columns, that has a little paint chipped, yes that can be painted) fixed etc still won't amount more than few thousand dollars. It is really puzzling what stops prospective buyer to make an offer having in mind this (substract and make an offer if you are interested) instead of just making comments that "your house isn't maintained well and needs lots of work".
Wasn't this a former grow house?
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5174 posts
4234 upvotes
I am really puzzled.
They're entitled to their opinion just like you are with regards to condition of your house

And 2 years old really isn't indicative of the condition/maintenance of it. Not like they said it's an old house, I've seen relatively new or even new homes not maintained properly. Doesn't take long for soap scum, molds, chips, holes in drywall etc to appear well before 2 years
Nov 30, 2005
997 posts
398 upvotes
Belleville, ON
RichmondCA wrote: Wasn't this a former grow house?
Oh the drama thickens.

If the place smelled like it was a grow-up, you really need to get that fixed prior to listing or else expect that buyers who make an offer will be expecting a significant discount for taking such a risk. Sounds like your previous tenant from the other thread did not take care of the place at all. In light of this, maybe you shouldn't take the comments so personally and just address the problem if it's only cosmestic.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10418 posts
12950 upvotes
Toronto
I am really puzzled.
Then why wouldn't you do it before listing it? Mostly people going to view an almost new home are going to expect it to be almost pristine.

If people see that on the surface then they will think you wouldn't bother fixing any issues they can't see either.

Not to mention this should all be taken in context, if you are pricing it like other 2 year old homes that are mint condition then they would obviously be disappointed when seeing all the small issues.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
849 posts
206 upvotes
Woodbridge
RichmondCA wrote: Wasn't this a former grow house?
I have total of 5 properties
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4109 posts
3612 upvotes
erexa wrote: I have total of 5 properties
That doesn't answer the question.
Feb 10, 2021
93 posts
62 upvotes
lol, your agent and you sound like you dont have very good chemistry. Chances are, the buying agent is making negative comments on the home to not show their interest- playing poker is all this is. We had similar feedback however our comments were not towards condition but more so to size. Come offer night: every agent that had a negative comment offered and ended up bidding significantly higher against one another. Or better yet, some sellers in our own neighbourhood had their agent come by to take the cards left by other agents and make negative comments about our home to our agent and those others. Its cut-throat lol

It was hilarious lining up the comments that were provided to us with the offers on the google doc folder our agent created. Priceless in fact- wife and I still chuckle about it.

From here on out Im here for the info re: the grow house situation LOL.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
849 posts
206 upvotes
Woodbridge
skeet50 wrote: That doesn't answer the question.
1. No this post is NOT about the property I was thinking was used as potential grow op (there is a long thread about it).
2. The above mentioned property was inspected and verified that was NOT used as a grow op. Tenants used to smoke weed.

Does this answer your question?
Nov 30, 2005
997 posts
398 upvotes
Belleville, ON
erexa wrote: 1. No this post is NOT about the property I was thinking was used as potential grow op (there is a long thread about it).
2. The above mentioned property was inspected and verified that was NOT used as a grow op. Tenants used to smoke weed.

Does this answer your question?
It's natural that we assumed this 2 yr old home is the same 2 yr old home with the "weed smoking" tenants that was just recently vacated because you wanted to put it on the market. loll
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
849 posts
206 upvotes
Woodbridge
ZxExN wrote: It's natural that we assumed this 2 yr old home is the same 2 yr old home with the "weed smoking" tenants that was just recently vacated because you wanted to put it on the market. loll
I know right, These are builder homes. We purchased more than one, different releases within the same phase though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8084 posts
1631 upvotes
If 10 people say the same thing, then you should pay attention. 1-2 comments are nothing.