• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 12:13 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
23 posts
23 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Realtor using another realtor as listing agent

Is there any favourable reason or thinking behind a person who is a licensed realtor using another realtor in their brokerage as the listing agent?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6270 posts
3465 upvotes
Thornhill
Yes,

e.g A conflict of interest exists for professional liability insurance purposes.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2006 posts
412 upvotes
Markham
licenced wrote: Yes,

e.g A conflict of interest exists for professional liability insurance purposes.
This, plus to separate the emotional aspect from the business side of selling their own property. I know several realtors who have done this.
Jay Rana |
Sales Representative, CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
Jan 9, 2021
125 posts
100 upvotes
y2jversion1 wrote: This, plus to separate the emotional aspect from the business side of selling their own property. I know several realtors who have done this.
Cry me a river.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2006 posts
412 upvotes
Markham
SunriseRealty wrote: Cry me a river.
O.K... Neutral Face
Jay Rana |
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
6098 posts
3990 upvotes
Toronto
insurance reasons
Full-time Realtor
Dec 12, 2011
203 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
Optics, to protect themselves. Whatever the case I wpuldnt be using a realtor that I couldnt 100% trust as there are so many realtors out there to choose from (some in my family and circle of friends).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9662 posts
745 upvotes
Markham
y2jversion1 wrote: This, plus to separate the emotional aspect from the business side of selling their own property. I know several realtors who have done this.
I had bid on a property owned by an agent, and she was sloppy about timelines and unrealistic about the price she can get. I think she wasn't an active agent so perhaps was a bit out of touch. The house was in rough condition (scratched up floors, holes in the walls, etc), the pictures were horrendous, it looks like hiring someone else probably could've gotten the house sold.

We went in with an overpay offer (in our perspective) but they countered with even more because a nearby one sold for her target price, but it was in far better shape and better maintained. It then became haggling over a few thousand and we just walked away because it seemed to be a poor decision on our part, so we were glad to actually get away.

It's still listed right now.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2006 posts
412 upvotes
Markham
Hairball wrote: I had bid on a property owned by an agent, and she was sloppy about timelines and unrealistic about the price she can get. I think she wasn't an active agent so perhaps was a bit out of touch. The house was in rough condition (scratched up floors, holes in the walls, etc), the pictures were horrendous, it looks like hiring someone else probably could've gotten the house sold.

We went in with an overpay offer (in our perspective) but they countered with even more because a nearby one sold for her target price, but it was in far better shape and better maintained. It then became haggling over a few thousand and we just walked away because it seemed to be a poor decision on our part, so we were glad to actually get away.

It's still listed right now.
It's human tendency to not be objective when it's your own item that you're selling, plus there can be a tendency of providing too much information or letting emotion slip into the negotiations (offended at price etc) - which is why many will use a colleague from their own brokerage or team to represent and negotiate on their behalf, to not potentially jeopardize the deal. It differs from agent to agent obviously, but from the few that I've spoken to as to why they did this - it was for the reasons I mentioned.
Jay Rana |