None
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga

Reapplying for a CC After Collections

Hey all,

I am currently applying for cards after almost 3 years of working on my credit I recently was approved for an the AMEX Marriot Bonvoy - a big deal since this is my first card that isn't a secure card.

I'm looking to apply for another card and thinking I might eventually try for cards with accounts of mine that were derog and wiped from my credit files (some RFDers mentioned that I might get accepted so I thought why not).

Do any of you have experience getting cards from banks/companies that you have previously been in default with and never paid?

Edit: I've defaulted with TD, CTFS, and BMO.
Last edited by Nimbostratus on Jan 15th, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15789 posts
21520 upvotes
Vancouver
Nimbostratus wrote: Hey all,

I am currently applying for cards after almost 3 years of working on my credit I recently was approved for an the AMEX Marriot Bonvoy - a big deal since this is my first card that isn't a secure card.

I'm looking to apply for another card and thinking I might eventually try for cards with accounts of mine that were derog and wiped from my credit files (some RFDers mentioned that I might get accepted so I thought why not).

Do any of you have experience getting cards from banks/companies that you have previously been in default with and never paid?
No personal experience with this, but congratulations for getting an approval from Amex, that’s a big step forward.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
Kiraly wrote: No personal experience with this, but congratulations for getting an approval from Amex, that’s a big step forward.
Thanks man! It was actually a buddy of mine who had applied first and was approved for it that gave me the courage to try Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1444 posts
1058 upvotes
Mississauga
Nimbostratus wrote: Hey all,

try canadian tire... its not a bad card and will give you a non-amex card
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
DeletedMemories wrote: try canadian tire... its not a bad card and will give you a non-amex card
Have you had experience being in collections with them?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13401 posts
8763 upvotes
Markham
Nimbostratus wrote: Have you had experience being in collections with them?
Which banks did you default? Usually those banks remember it
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
smartie wrote: Which banks did you default? Usually those banks remember it
I've defaulted with CTFS, TD, and BMO.
Mar 28, 2008
589 posts
547 upvotes
Nimbostratus wrote: I've defaulted with CTFS, TD, and BMO.
You may want to try applying Tangerine, or Neo. Ensure you apply it through GCR.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9388 posts
10643 upvotes
The Prairies
Nimbostratus wrote: I've defaulted with CTFS, TD, and BMO.
From the data points I’ve read on this forum, TD will take your debt to their grave.
AKA don’t ever apply with them again.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
coolintheshade wrote: From the data points I’ve read on this forum, TD will take your debt to their grave.
AKA don’t ever apply with them again.
That's really good to know, thanks.

Would that also include MBNA?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9388 posts
10643 upvotes
The Prairies
Nimbostratus wrote: That's really good to know, thanks.

Would that also include MBNA?
Not necessarily, as they are independently operated.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13401 posts
8763 upvotes
Markham
Do you want to apply for another credit card because
1: amex is not accepted widely, so you need another backup card
2: amex card limit is low, so you can't do anything
3: just want more cards
4: other reasons

Make sure you know how to manage debt before applying credit card, otherwise you just go to another round default, especially in this high inflation time
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
smartie wrote: Do you want to apply for another credit card because
1: amex is not accepted widely, so you need another backup card
2: amex card limit is low, so you can't do anything
3: just want more cards
4: other reasons

Make sure you know how to manage debt before applying credit card, otherwise you just go to another round default, especially in this high inflation time
5. I want to get rid of my secure cards into this list. I have two secure cards I've been using for the past 2+ years.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
ccya965041 wrote: You may want to try applying Tangerine, or Neo. Ensure you apply it through GCR.
From what I've read, Tangerine seems to be a finicky lender and Neo Financial has yet to start reporting to any of the credit bureaus.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13401 posts
8763 upvotes
Markham
Nimbostratus wrote: 5. I want to get rid of my secure cards into this list. I have two secure cards I've been using for the past 2+ years.
So you just need one either visa or MasterCard in addition to amex. Might be apply PC financial or brim?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9388 posts
10643 upvotes
The Prairies
smartie wrote: So you just need one either visa or MasterCard in addition to amex. Might be apply PC financial or brim?
+1 for PC Financial.
As long as balances are not out of control, or lots of recent inquiries, this should be a slam dunk.
Aug 30, 2020
60 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nimbostratus wrote: From what I've read, Tangerine seems to be a finicky lender and Neo Financial has yet to start reporting to any of the credit bureaus.
Neo started showing up on mine a few days ago. So far I only see it showing up on Transunion.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2022
25 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
CarterC020424 wrote: Neo started showing up on mine a few days ago. So far I only see it showing up on Transunion.
Oh wow, good to know. I hope that's happening for everyone who has been waiting.
Feb 8, 2020
314 posts
195 upvotes
I have no personal experience on this but congrats on getting approved by Amex. That’s a huge step!

Since you already have collection history with TD, BMO and CTFS. Don’t go for TD as they are very strict.

PC financial or Neo will be a good choice to start with.
Sep 13, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
Went to collections with RBC around 2015/2016 (got it paid off) but was able to get a card with them again in 2021 after some time with other cards and never missing payments. I did get denied by them around 2018

Went from Capital One (2016) > Triangle MC (2016) > PC MC (2017) > Rogers MC (2017) > Simplii (2018) > Amex (2018) > Tangerine World MC (2019) > RBC (2021). I applied to each after 6 months of each. I'd check the credit scores thread and compare your scores with the data points. Also helps if you don't have collections showing on your credit report. I had a TD card go to collections that was unpaid that fell off after 6 years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)