Automotive

Rear Caliper Replacements on a Hybrid $1185+tax??(GTA)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2021 8:36 am
[OP]
Sep 9, 2021
2 posts
1 upvote

Rear Caliper Replacements on a Hybrid $1185+tax??(GTA)

I've got a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Recently took it to a dealership for an oil change, and was also noticing a real loud grinding noise from the rear. After the oil change, they recommended a brake service and mentioned that one of the right rear wheels wasn't moving freely. I brought the car back for them to check the brakes and diagnose that right rear wheel. They came back saying that both rear pads & rotors need to be replaced ("metal-to-metal"), and that both calipers are seized and require replacement.

The quote the rep gave me for the pads and rotors was $564+tax and for the the calipers was $1185+tax. They mentioned that the high caliper cost was due to the installation being different for a hybrid.

Does this sound legit? And if so, are dealerships typically open to negotiating on repair cost or using alternative parts?

Also, this car hadn't been used for about 8 months. Weren't driving as much, so paused the insurance to save some money. Kept it in our driveway, starting it every week and changing it's position. As far as I remember, the brakes were fine, how could they have worn out so quickly?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17185 posts
19077 upvotes
Oakville
gsj991 wrote: I've got a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Recently took it to a dealership for an oil change, and was also noticing a real loud grinding noise from the rear. After the oil change, they recommended a brake service and mentioned that one of the right rear wheels wasn't moving freely. I brought the car back for them to check the brakes and diagnose that right rear wheel. They came back saying that both rear pads & rotors need to be replaced ("metal-to-metal"), and that both calipers are seized and require replacement.

The quote the rep gave me for the pads and rotors was $564+tax and for the the calipers was $1185+tax. They mentioned that the high caliper cost was due to the installation being different for a hybrid.

Does this sound legit? And if so, are dealerships typically open to negotiating on repair cost or using alternative parts?

Also, this car hadn't been used for about 8 months. Weren't driving as much, so paused the insurance to save some money. Kept it in our driveway, starting it every week and changing it's position. As far as I remember, the brakes were fine, how could they have worn out so quickly?
You let the brakes rust by not using them. Would have been better to keep inside.

Sounds like you're getting ripped off. You probably just need new pads and rotors, so under $400. Maybe the calipers need cleaning and lubricating.
Take it to trusted indy mechanic.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4375 posts
2737 upvotes
Ontario
Generally brakes are no different on a hybrid. Regen braking takes place in the electric motor. Amazing how many people in dealerships say hybrids have special brakes.

Only difference is the traditional brakes are used much less on a hybrid and are more prone to sieze especially at the back. One of the reasons VW is going back to drum brakes on its BEVs like ID4.

Only vehicle I have had to change a caliper on is our Camry Hybrid (actually just changed the carriage with pins with one from a breakers)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1025 posts
877 upvotes
So it will cost $564 for pads/rotors plus $1185 for the calipers? Or including everything (plus tax).

Either way if you are in GTA go to iGarage a member of this forum who everyone says great things about.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2021
2 posts
1 upvote
George613 wrote: So it will cost $564 for pads/rotors plus $1185 for the calipers? Or including everything (plus tax).

Either way if you are in GTA go to iGarage a member of this forum who everyone says great things about.
plus $1185 for the calipers
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1766 posts
1524 upvotes
gsj991 wrote: plus $1185 for the calipers
I could be wrong but I thought the new rear calipers for your car come with the electric parking brake motors attatched, which adds to the expense.
You can get cheaper rebuilt calipers without the motors also, they just swap over if they are usable.
As for installing calipers with electric parking brakes, the brake system needs to be put into service mode with a scan tool. There may be a way to do it manually also.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4568 upvotes
GTA
That's the price of OEM parts and dealer labour for you.

Take it somewhere else that will use aftermarket parts. It'll cost half of that. Probably in the $500-1000 range for pads, rotors, and calipers.

Not entirely surprising that the calipers are seized if they haven't been serviced since the car rolled out of the factory in 2012. Sitting for 8 months was probably the nail in the coffin. And it's pretty reasonable for the pads and rotors to need replacing at this point anyways (assuming they're original).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1293 posts
500 upvotes
Vancouver
gsj991 wrote: I've got a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Recently took it to a dealership for an oil change, and was also noticing a real loud grinding noise from the rear. After the oil change, they recommended a brake service and mentioned that one of the right rear wheels wasn't moving freely. I brought the car back for them to check the brakes and diagnose that right rear wheel. They came back saying that both rear pads & rotors need to be replaced ("metal-to-metal"), and that both calipers are seized and require replacement.

No one can really tell you unless there are clear pictures of the rotors and pads. They could be correct in their assessment but could also just be trying to rip you off by "replacing" a whole of parts. I would always be skeptical of any shop that tells you you need brakes and that they are metal to metal. It's like the classic scam that shops use to scam customers.

Go to another shop and have them check it while you are there and take pictures.
Oct 21, 2006
750 posts
501 upvotes
I took a quick glance on rockauto and brand new coated rear calipers from raybestos on a 2013 sonata hybrid cost $80 CAD apiece.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29738 posts
10454 upvotes
gsj991 wrote: I've got a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Recently took it to a dealership. The quote was $1185+tax.
Sounds about right.
Nov 18, 2017
90 posts
33 upvotes
My wife's Tucson (non-hybrid) was also quoted over $1000 for a brake job. Turns out the rear pads were fine, the front rotor looked 90% new, and only the front pads needed replacement. Which I proceeded to do with a $40 pair from Canadian Tire. Brake jobs at dealerships are a total rip-off. Get an independent mechanic with a good community reputation to have a look at your car. The fact that your car is a hybrid shouldn't be a factor.