Automotive

Rear ended - damage worse than estimated?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2023 8:20 am
[OP]
Jul 17, 2016
97 posts
12 upvotes

Rear ended - damage worse than estimated?

My wife was recently rear ended at a red light. The person who hit her literally said to my wife "I must not have been paying attention" if you can believe it. Thankfully wife and daughter were okay. That said, insurance has been a nightmare to deal with. We have been found 0% at fault, but the whole process has just been very slow. I am a little concerned regarding the estimate from the insurance company. They are claiming $7,000 in repairs, but to me it seems worse? Is there anything I can do in terms of being sure no frame damage has occurred that is being overlooked?

Thanks in advance
Images
  • IMG_1422.JPG
  • IMG_2394 copy.jpg
12 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13474 posts
4364 upvotes
Looks about that much damage if no wheel component were damaged. Doesn’t look high speed.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19720 posts
23128 upvotes
GTA
I would have guessed $5-10K. Did you have it inspected at a good shop? Or is that just the insurance estimate just looking at some pics?
They're going to have to hammer that quarter panel back into place, or cut/weld a new section in, then lots of bondo and paint.
Then install new bumper reinforcement and bumper cover.
Looks like liftgate and light are OK.
Make sure your liftgate and doors all close properly.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jul 17, 2016
97 posts
12 upvotes
engineered wrote: I would have guessed $5-10K. Did you have it inspected at a good shop? Or is that just the insurance estimate just looking at some pics?
They're going to have to hammer that quarter panel back into place, or cut/weld a new section in, then lots of bondo and paint.
Then install new bumper reinforcement and bumper cover.
Looks like liftgate and light are OK.
Make sure your liftgate and doors all close properly.
Estimate was done by one of the insurance companies approved body shops. My concern was just the possibility of frame damage but you don't see anything alarming in that sense from the pictures?
Jun 11, 2006
131 posts
233 upvotes
Lakefield
Choose the body shop you feel will do the best job. The $7000 is the appraisers educated guess and is an estimate. Once the body shop starts into the repair, if there is more damaged or cost than what was "seen" by the appraiser, then the body shop will contact the insurance company to review the additional damage and add to the $7000 estimate. No extra money will come from your pocket unless you request some additional work not related to the accident to be done while it is in a shop.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2752 posts
2850 upvotes
Damn, that picture looks all too familiar. Check if the bed/rail needs replacing. Raise the trunk cover and check under where the spare tire is. It could be more like $10-15K. Repair timing could be months (3 - 4) depending on where you take it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2296 posts
4309 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
$7k is just an estimate. If there is more damage underneath the shop will notify insurance and repair accordingly. Your car will be repaired as best they can and won't be limited to the $7k estimate if that is your concern.

My last insurance claim the estimate was $2k, it ended up being $10k.
[OP]
Jul 17, 2016
97 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks for the input everyone.

I guess to be more clear, the final total cost of repair doesn't necessarily mean anything to me since I'm not paying a cent anyways. I just mentioned the $7,000 estimate because I was worried they missed something while looking at it. That said, so far none of you have mentioned anything about frame damage which was really my concern.
[OP]
Jul 17, 2016
97 posts
12 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: Damn, that picture looks all too familiar. Check if the bed/rail needs replacing. Raise the trunk cover and check under where the spare tire is. It could be more like $10-15K. Repair timing could be months (3 - 4) depending on where you take it.
That is great advice, I never thought to get a better look by checking there. Will for sure do that later when I am home.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19720 posts
23128 upvotes
GTA
holden57 wrote: Estimate was done by one of the insurance companies approved body shops. My concern was just the possibility of frame damage but you don't see anything alarming in that sense from the pictures?
Do you have a list of the work they quoted?

There is no "frame" on your CUV. Almost all vehicles (bar pickups and extra large) are unibody vehicles, which means they are welded into one structure.
The closest thing to a frame you have is the Unirail, which is a strong section more inwards from where you were hit. You probably don't have damage to your unirail, but it's hard to say. It looks like you only had a glancing blow, so just sheet metal in that area.

This car had similar but worse damage than yours. Your repair work may be similar.
https://www.allstoncollisioncenter.com/ ... condition/

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2748 posts
3804 upvotes
Barrie, ON
How did you determine it's 'worse' then 7k? They aren't really going to know until they actually get in there.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1340 posts
285 upvotes
Appraiser only give an estimate (best guess but can be way off)

Until the body shop looked at it and give a quote that would be closer to the actual cost. Unless they start removing components and parts found more damage caused by the accident they will repair it. The insurance company would paid for that repair related to the accident.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17007 posts
12408 upvotes
Toronto
holden57 wrote: My wife was recently rear ended at a red light. The person who hit her literally said to my wife "I must not have been paying attention" if you can believe it. Thankfully wife and daughter were okay. That said, insurance has been a nightmare to deal with. We have been found 0% at fault, but the whole process has just been very slow. I am a little concerned regarding the estimate from the insurance company. They are claiming $7,000 in repairs, but to me it seems worse? Is there anything I can do in terms of being sure no frame damage has occurred that is being overlooked?

Thanks in advance
holden57 wrote:
Estimate was done by one of the insurance companies approved body shops. My concern was just the possibility of frame damage but you don't see anything alarming in that sense from the pictures?
holden57 wrote: Thanks for the input everyone.

I guess to be more clear, the final total cost of repair doesn't necessarily mean anything to me since I'm not paying a cent anyways. I just mentioned the $7,000 estimate because I was worried they missed something while looking at it. That said, so far none of you have mentioned anything about frame damage which was really my concern.
as engineered pointed out, your car doesn't have a 'frame"

:rolleyes:

I suggest you don't mention these "concerns" to the insurance company to avoid being laughed at

What's your "nightmare"?

There's a parts shortage and you drive a Toyota.

Are you in a rental?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)