Automotive

Rear-ended, need advice

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2017 3:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Oct 11, 2007
324 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto

Rear-ended, need advice

Was rear ended from a complete stop. Other driver mentioned that he noticed the other cars around him moving so he decided to go. Our lane unfortunately didn't move right away because we are on the right most lane with pickups and other larger vehicles that take a while to get going. Everyone is OK but the suv clearly has a huge dent on the hatch which will require body work, paint and who know what else. The driver offered to pay cash if the repair estimate is low (not go through insurance) . I have no idea what the damaged are by looking at it but it can't be cheap. Driver says he knows a guy that does body work but I don't want to just take my vehicle to any body shop. I don't want to spend my days paying to get an estimate and hope it comes back low enough so the driver is willing to pay out of pocket.
My car is still fairly new, less than 5 years old. Will going through insurance hurt me in terms of premiums even though I was not at fault? Seems like I am more doing him a favor but want to make sure.

Thoughts?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
5746 posts
1983 upvotes
Space
Go through insurance. You have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 24, 2012
2625 posts
1105 upvotes
MARKHAM
Have you taken pictures for evidence purpose?
Go through insurance, you are 100% not at fault. Bumper replacement or fix can be $1000+.
[OP]
Member
Oct 11, 2007
324 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Took pictures of the damages. Bumper was nicked but the rear hatch will need work.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14119 posts
4092 upvotes
GTA
As soon as he said he wants to use his guy and the estimate has to be low I'd be leaning towards insurance. He caused the accident, he doesn't get to choose the terms.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36018 posts
22160 upvotes
Center of Universe
I also suggest to go through insurance.
He has no say on where you need to get it fixed.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2756 posts
1795 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: As soon as he said he wants to use his guy and the estimate has to be low I'd be leaning towards insurance. He caused the accident, he doesn't get to choose the terms.
This.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 4, 2011
1199 posts
579 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Get an estimate from a shop you trust. If he doesn’t agree go through insurance. Simple as that.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
22081 posts
3860 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nayan97 wrote: Get an estimate from a shop you trust. If he doesn’t agree go through insurance. Simple as that.
Further to this is, if you do decide to try and not go through insurance make sure you give him firm dates on payments and when the repair must be completed.

Personally, I'd just go through insurance so you don't have to waste any of your own time dealing with the guy that hit you. The only advantage for you that I can think of by avoiding insurance would be I *think* the repair would not show up on a report when you go to sell your car.

Also, if you happened to have car seat for a child in your car, insurance will pay for a new one as that one is no longer considered safe.

Also, if you go through insurance, you'll get a rental car while your car is being repaired.

Also, it won't affect your insurance at all since you're not at fault.

*hint**hint* - Go through insurance.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 18, 2002
7023 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote: Further to this is, if you do decide to try and not go through insurance make sure you give him firm dates on payments and when the repair must be completed.

Personally, I'd just go through insurance so you don't have to waste any of your own time dealing with the guy that hit you. The only advantage for you that I can think of by avoiding insurance would be I *think* the repair would not show up on a report when you go to sell your car.

Also, if you happened to have car seat for a child in your car, insurance will pay for a new one as that one is no longer considered safe.

Also, if you go through insurance, you'll get a rental car while your car is being repaired.

Also, it won't affect your insurance at all since you're not at fault.

*hint**hint* - Go through insurance.
This is basically the only downside to reporting to insurance. Diminished value of your car when you sell it. Otherwise insurance is the way to go. Bumper and hatch frame if bent is easily 2k+ plus rental cost, downtime, inconvenience.. Go through insurance.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
253 upvotes
Go to a collision reporting centre now, file with them using the other driver's information. Then call insurance and let them know what happened.

You'll be deemed 100% not at fault, it won't go against you when your auto policy is up for renewal.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1216 upvotes
aGincourt
Was police called on scene? Is there report number? Otherwise I would go to collision center and report it.

You got rear ended, you're not at fault and your insurance won't increase. Take the car to the bodyshop of your choice, and give the estimate to the guy. If he doesn't want to pay and wants you to take it to his 'buddy' instead then call insurance and move on with your life.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14197 posts
9524 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
He hit you, it's your call not his. Man up and call the shots!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19322 upvotes
Oakville
Why or how he rear ended you is meaningless and only proves what moron he is to hit you. He was clearly texting and not paying attention and deserves to pay for his idiocy.
Can you post pics of the incident here for us to see?

With a damaged liftgate and bumper repairs will likely be between $2-8k and highly doubtful that this guy will pay. If you do decide to give him a chance, get a quote from a high quality shop of your choice. If he doesn't pay upfront right away, go directly to insurance. It won't affect your premiums but it will devalue you car.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1216 upvotes
aGincourt
engineered wrote: Why or how he rear ended you is meaningless and only proves what moron he is to hit you. He was clearly texting and not paying attention and deserves to pay for his idiocy.
Can you post pics of the incident here for us to see?

With a damaged liftgate and bumper repairs will likely be between $2-8k and highly doubtful that this guy will pay. If you do decide to give him a chance, get a quote from a high quality shop of your choice. If he doesn't pay upfront right away, go directly to insurance. It won't affect your premiums but it will devalue you car.
This. And that only matters anyways if you plan on selling in the future. If you plan on driving the car until it dies I would get it repaired at the best place, not at his buddy's who will use cheap aftermarket parts that don't fit properly, off coloured, will leak when it rains, will rattle, etc...
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3996 upvotes
Toronto
op i was rear ended twice in 2 weeks.

my damage was not that bad though. I still went through insurance.

I got a quote for repair and it was $550.
That didn't include a 3 day car rental.

When I texted the person that hit me, I said give me $400 and lets call it a day. ( i wasn't going to bother fixing it as it was just scratches, and I could live with it, it was in a inconspicuous spot)

They wanted to barter with me, and offered $300... I'm like this isn't a negotiation. so go f yourself... went through insurance.

I was not at fault for both accidents. this hapened a year ago.. since then my insurance went down.

The stupid thing is, I got rear ended literally 2 weeks later, After I made the report with insurance..... looking back now.. my damage wasnt that bad from the first accident.. it would have been better for me to take the $300 and live with the small scratches... and then not put that damage on my cars VIN.....

and then on the second accident, would have had a whole bumper repaint through insurance anyway.. so I would have been ahead and compensated for what a waste of time it is to deal with stupid accidents.


Anyway, in conclusion of my rambles, I suggest go through insurance. You should also probably report to collision centre if you think it's over $2k damage. At this point, I won't bother dealing with someone because it's just such a waste of time... like wtf I need to go get quotes that you are going to agree with? F- that.

Also, 427 CSN auto, I highly recommend... specially if insurance is paying.. great service. they had rental car lady waiting for me the morning i dropped my car off. I was there when the doors opened at like 730 AM and off with my rental car at 7:45.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17115 posts
7466 upvotes
Your insurance does not increase for a not at fault accident, so don't worry about making a claim.

Go through insurance, someone who wants to already haggle with you (where to fix your car) is going to be trouble.
[OP]
Member
Oct 11, 2007
324 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the advice everyone . I ended up going through insurance. I'm glad I am going this route since I'm going to get it fixed properly
Jr. Member
Sep 11, 2012
135 posts
36 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
get a 2 channel dash cam for next time and tell him you can take footage of collision to police that catches him looking at his phone or something. would get $800 easy :)

Top