• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 1:59 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
531 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto

reasonable price/cost for CSA approved potlights on main floor

On Kijiji, i've seen RFD acclaimed vendors, charging $75 per potlight indoors while on Kijiji i've been some charging anywhere from $45-50 for CSA approved potlights
plus permit

Just curious, what's considered a reasonable cost for CSA approved potlights on main interior floor, material and labour included?
Can you get the same level of labour (CSA approved, can be permit approved) from those charging $45-50 from those on Kijiji?
4 replies
May 24, 2012
282 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
noobienoob wrote: On Kijiji, i've seen RFD acclaimed vendors, charging $75 per potlight indoors while on Kijiji i've been some charging anywhere from $45-50 for CSA approved potlights
plus permit

Just curious, what's considered a reasonable cost for CSA approved potlights on main interior floor, material and labour included?
Can you get the same level of labour (CSA approved, can be permit approved) from those charging $45-50 from those on Kijiji?
Good question, im wondering the same. Also, if the latter is true, would anyone mind sharing a good potlight installer?
Apr 25, 2017
158 posts
121 upvotes
I have seen these 2 guys recommended often - Quality Potlights and Mr. Potlights. Usually it's around 60-75 I think on the main floor
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4499 posts
1844 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I would not pay $40-50 for your pot lights. That’s far too low for the install to be proper. I’d be willing to bet those installers are not pulling a permit, which is required (and they may just be “handymen” not electricians.) The permit alone is $79 and goes up from there if you get a lot of new lights. For that price you’re most likely getting cheap quality lights and an improper install. There’s no way there’s enough money to be made at $40-50 per light to make it worthwhile.

I don’t recall what my previous employer charged when we did those jobs but I’m pretty confident it was at least $80 but probably more. I think at a certain number the cost went down. There is of course a bunch of fixed costs just to show up on site that don’t really change whether you’re doing 3 lights or 20, so thats why they would lower the rate once there were enough to cover all labour, cost, overheard and make profit.

Personally I would avoid the $40-50 Kijiji installers and go with a reputable company. Kijiji is quite possibly the worst possible place to find contractors. Just scroll through this forum to see how many people post on here “Why did my Kijiji contractor disappear with my money?” “Why is this job from my Kijiji contractor falling apart after a month?” etc etc weekly. You don’t want to be the next one making those posts.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
531 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
On Kijiji, there's a lot of vendors offering CSA approved LED lights, along with listing their ESA license number

I wonder if there's a catch,
ChicoQuente wrote: I would not pay $40-50 for your pot lights. That’s far too low for the install to be proper. I’d be willing to bet those installers are not pulling a permit, which is required (and they may just be “handymen” not electricians.) The permit alone is $79 and goes up from there if you get a lot of new lights. For that price you’re most likely getting cheap quality lights and an improper install. There’s no way there’s enough money to be made at $40-50 per light to make it worthwhile.

I don’t recall what my previous employer charged when we did those jobs but I’m pretty confident it was at least $80 but probably more. I think at a certain number the cost went down. There is of course a bunch of fixed costs just to show up on site that don’t really change whether you’re doing 3 lights or 20, so thats why they would lower the rate once there were enough to cover all labour, cost, overheard and make profit.

Personally I would avoid the $40-50 Kijiji installers and go with a reputable company. Kijiji is quite possibly the worst possible place to find contractors. Just scroll through this forum to see how many people post on here “Why did my Kijiji contractor disappear with my money?” “Why is this job from my Kijiji contractor falling apart after a month?” etc etc weekly. You don’t want to be the next one making those posts.