Home & Garden

Reasonably Priced & Quality Garden Solar Lights Suggestions Pls.

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1227 posts
1568 upvotes

Reasonably Priced & Quality Garden Solar Lights Suggestions Pls.

For the past few years I've been buying solar garden lights at Dollarama and by the end of the season, most of them are dead. Rather than repeating the cycle again I'm trying to reduce my landfill impact so would like to pay a bit more for something that might list a few seasons - any suggestions?

Nothing fancy required - just the ones you push into the ground and light up at night for some ambiance - not required to provide safety or actual lighting. I only need 8-10 and don't want to pay a bunch. How many years have yours lasted? What's reasonable pricing for these on sale? Any suggestions on where to buy or brands?

Guess I'm wondering if the $5 lights at HD/etc. are really any better than the $2 Dollarama ones - I'm not worried about aesthetics, just durability.

Remember this is RFD so pls don't smash me too hard for being "thrifty". :blush:

All suggestions much appreciated - TIA!

cheers,
:)
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23493 posts
22446 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
First ... solar vs non solar are just part of the problem
IME they just don’t perform or last vs hardwired on a 12v transformer
But sometimes solar is more convenient cuz of where you want to put the lights

Your second issue ... is most certainly The Dollar Store
Stuff from there is cheaply made. Period
And not made to last at all

My current Solar lights for a narrow walkway application
I got on sale / promo at Costco
They’ve stood up fairly well now for a few years / seasons
(We bring them out of the weather come Fall, and set them back out every Spring)

I get cheap tho ...
I have several decorative solar garden lights that I have picked up at Jysk
I just buy them knowing upfront that anything I get beyond one season is a bonus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1227 posts
1568 upvotes
Thx for the reply & details, @PointsHubby!

Do you recall approximately how much are your Costco ones? I'm trying to get a sense of the price:quality point as seems pricing is all over from $2 Dollarama to $10 which JYSK also sells.

Thx for mentioning the JYSK store - I've seen some around but never been in one and didn't know they sell this type of product. Just checked their website and they have them for a buck - can't believe I was getting ripped off paying 2x at Dollarama...LOL! I'm sure it's the same cheap quality.

Yes, due to my set up only interested in solar. I also bring mine indoors in the fall, well the remaining few that are working.

cheers,
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23493 posts
22446 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
klamchowder wrote: Thx for the reply & details, @PointsHubby!

Do you recall approximately how much are your Costco ones? I'm trying to get a sense of the price:quality point as seems pricing is all over from $2 Dollarama to $10 which JYSK also sells.

Thx for mentioning the JYSK store - I've seen some around but never been in one and didn't know they sell this type of product. Just checked their website and they have them for a buck - can't believe I was getting ripped off paying 2x at Dollarama...LOL! I'm sure it's the same cheap quality.

Yes, due to my set up only interested in solar. I also bring mine indoors in the fall, well the remaining few that are working.

cheers,
I am inside tonight ... and lights are outside

But I believe mine are same / similar brand to the 6 pack shown here
https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?dep ... Solar+path

On sale / promo in the warehouse think I paid around < $ 50

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)