• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 1:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 10, 2020
12 posts
4 upvotes

Reasons to get CX30 GT Turbo when you can get CX5 for 2k more

Hi All

I'm confused between CX30 GT turbo and a CX-5 GT turbo... with Mazda giving 1000 $ incentive on CX5 and also a 1000 $ iawd credit
Does it make more sense to get a CX5 which'll get you more interior space + ventilated seats + power passenger seat n heated back seats for about 2k more

What are your thoughts, I intend to keep the car for about 4 years and then sell it. Don't like the idea of a lease bcoz then I need to take extra care of wear ans tear.
26 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13120 posts
1938 upvotes
Toronto
Cx-5 has the older interior design. Some people like the CX-30 for that new Interior look that utilizes better materials and a better infotainment system. The infotainment in the current CX-5 and CX-9 is beyond terrible.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2020
12 posts
4 upvotes
Fair enough, do you see any other reasons for not choosing the CX5, can always use Android Auto to make up for that
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3472 posts
679 upvotes
GTA
Do you need the space of the CX-5? I personally like the styling more of the CX-5 so it would get my vote if the gap is indeed "only" $2,000. I also think it'll be worth more down the road when/if you decide to sell as it'll appeal to a larger audience due to being more practical.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1350 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends if you need the size. CX30 will be lighter weight so feel more responsive and peppy which would be important to me and CX30 probably slightly better MPG too. I prefer smaller cars also IMO CX30 looks better.
Just get the car you like best that your going to enjoy 4-5 years with. I would hate to buy a car just because it is going to be worth more than other cars in 4-5 years and not enjoy driving it for the the time I own it.
Last edited by kev604 on Feb 13th, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2020
12 posts
4 upvotes
Don't really need the size, and I used to drive a Chevy Cruze hatchback before this...So I guess CX30 size is more to my liking as well
Just that with Mazda incentives being more on CX5 was bit confused.
Nov 15, 2020
575 posts
1082 upvotes
Why get a cx-30 when you can get a Mazda 3 sport? The turbo version of the Mazda 3 sport is pretty sick. You can get upto 250hp and I believe 310lbft of torque which is crazy for a small hatchback.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1350 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver
aomous wrote: Why get a cx-30 when you can get a Mazda 3 sport? The turbo version of the Mazda 3 sport is pretty sick. You can get upto 250hp and I believe 310lbft of torque which is crazy for a small hatchback.
It's the same engine same power numbers on both cars 93 octane gas yields the higher HP TQ numbers vs lower power numbers on 91 octane.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2020
12 posts
4 upvotes
aomous wrote: Why get a cx-30 when you can get a Mazda 3 sport? The turbo version of the Mazda 3 sport is pretty sick. You can get upto 250hp and I believe 310lbft of torque which is crazy for a small hatchback.
I feel CX30 or CX 5 is better in winters in Ottawa, with the snow on the roads
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28237 posts
8688 upvotes
Not that crazy...

Anyway going back more on-topic, OP's finding can be seen with other models too. For example Audi Q3 gets really up there when you option it out, while a base Q5 already has many of those features, plus is larger; and it doesn't much more than the optioned-out Q3. The low-level Q5 may not look as nice/sporty as the gussied up Q3, but the vast majority of buyers would go with the Q5 instead. And the sales numbers likely reflect this.
Nov 15, 2020
575 posts
1082 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Not that crazy...

Anyway going back more on-topic, OP's finding can be seen with other models too. For example Audi Q3 gets really up there when you option it out, while a base Q5 already has many of those features, plus is larger; and it doesn't much more than the optioned-out Q3. The low-level Q5 may not look as nice/sporty as the gussied up Q3, but the vast majority of buyers would go with the Q5 instead. And the sales numbers likely reflect this.
Yes I know there are smaller and more powerful hatchbacks, but for a Mazda, its pretty crazy.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1427 posts
1250 upvotes
CX-30 is more compact so it's easier to park, drive in the city. Slightly faster and more fuel efficient. You definitely get more plastic cladding lol.
Mar 23, 2009
879 posts
237 upvotes
Halifax
Yeah, the same engine is now in the CX-30 GT trim. Some reviewers liked the performance / handling of the CX-30 (The Straight Pipes) for example.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13120 posts
1938 upvotes
Toronto
abhi22 wrote: Fair enough, do you see any other reasons for not choosing the CX5, can always use Android Auto to make up for that
That’s if android auto works. It crashed a million times on my drive to Florida. It was a Samsung s10 with the 2019 CX-9. Apple car play seems to be better, but it crashes sometimes and fails to load at other times. The current Mazda connect system is pure trash lol. I hope there’s a way to add in the 2021 US infotainment system to Canadian CX-9. I love Mazda’s new infotainment software. If only I could somehow install that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28237 posts
8688 upvotes
Seanhfx wrote: Yeah, the same engine is now in the CX-30 GT trim.
Not bad but I wonder if they improved the brakes? 177ft from 70MPH isn't terrible, but you'd expect better when they upgraded the engine. I'm going to guess they haven't though given the 3 with the same engine needs 169ft to stop which leads me to believe the brakes are the same as on the CX-30 and will be the same on the CX-30 turbo.

Also I think this is the review, for those interested...

IMO this thing looks super dopey, totally like a 3 on stilts. It screams "needs lowered" but then...why not just get a 3 instead? :shrug:
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4639 posts
3709 upvotes
Better visibility in the cx-30 and it has better/usable back seats and trunk vs the Mazda 3 hatch I read.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15666 posts
13359 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ES_Revenge wrote: Not bad but I wonder if they improved the brakes? 177ft from 70MPH isn't terrible, but you'd expect better when they upgraded the engine. I'm going to guess they haven't though given the 3 with the same engine needs 169ft to stop which leads me to believe the brakes are the same as on the CX-30 and will be the same on the CX-30 turbo.

Also I think this is the review, for those interested...

IMO this thing looks super dopey, totally like a 3 on stilts. It screams "needs lowered" but then...why not just get a 3 instead? :shrug:
Those wheel arches are hideous. People actually find this good looking? LOL
Nov 15, 2017
715 posts
517 upvotes
The Straight Pipe reviews should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Everything is "SO GOOD".

Reasons for CX30 over the aging CX5:
- Newer infotainment system
- Fresher interior

The cargo area of the CX30 is actually serviceable, compared to the tiny 3 hatchback.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4983 posts
2395 upvotes
Ottawa
abhi22 wrote: Don't really need the size, and I used to drive a Chevy Cruze hatchback before this...So I guess CX30 size is more to my liking as well
Just that with Mazda incentives being more on CX5 was bit confused.
What happened to the Cruze hatchback? That was a heckuva nice car for a subcompact hatchback.

FWIW, I spent a lot of time researching the CX-5 and 30 last year and just found the 30 to be too cramped compared with the CX-5. Yes the CX-5 is a dated design but it's still an attractive vehicle.