Automotive

Reasons why you're NOT pairing your phone (Bluetooth)

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 1:07 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18380 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge

Reasons why you're NOT pairing your phone (Bluetooth)

Besides not having one that's compatible of course

A few family and friends refuses to connect/pair their cell phones with their infotainment system.

Seems like some in general loves to be SEEN talking on their phones.

I don't if that's the case especially now it's illegal but clearly fines needs to be more severe apparently or is it just simply laziness.

One of my boy's refuses. When his iPhone notifies or ring he either waits until he hits a red light or hands it to me. I told him my cousin got a warning for looking at his phone at a red light.

I get if it's personal you can ignore it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
31 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15309 posts
12765 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Technology challenged and ignorance. There’s really no other reason why not to pair your phone if the car has Bluetooth.
Jan 13, 2007
477 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
To be honest, I'm just too lazy to set it up. I always use my phone for the GPS and I've found the voice activated Google Assistant works well on my phone. I've never had any issues with sound quality or sound reception when talking on the phone in hands-free mode either.

The Bluetooth probably works seamlessly through my vehicle's speaker system but I always leave Bluetooth off on my phone (to conserve battery) so it'd be just one more thing I'd have to activate when I get in the car. I'm certainly not against it and maybe I'll even set it up one day!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34491 posts
20528 upvotes
Center of Universe
woofster wrote: To be honest, I'm just too lazy to set it up. I always use my phone for the GPS and I've found the voice activated Google Assistant works well on my phone. I've never had any issues with sound quality or sound reception when talking on the phone in hands-free mode either.

The Bluetooth probably works seamlessly through my vehicle's speaker system but I always leave Bluetooth off on my phone (to conserve battery) so it'd be just one more thing I'd have to activate when I get in the car. I'm certainly not against it and maybe I'll even set it up one day!
You set it up once and that's it.
Even my old folks knows how do to it. Lol
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3095 posts
463 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I quit bothering because the link keeps dropping. Also can’t seem to listen to radio and get gps from Waze are same time. I just don’t take calls when driving. They can wait. They used to be able to anyway.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Jun 19, 2009
929 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
eldeejay wrote: I quit bothering because the link keeps dropping. Also can’t seem to listen to radio and get gps from Waze are same time. I just don’t take calls when driving. They can wait. They used to be able to anyway.
You can make it so Waze outputs via phone speaker for instructions instead of car if you're not using the Aux/Bluetooth for audio and prefer radio:
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6291187?hl=en
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
Some cheap Chinese knock-offs may actually have an issue with connecting through a wireless technology. Just wondering why people do not get a cheap phone holder/carrier that mounts to a vent or through a suction cup and use the speaker phone option then? A lot cheaper option than getting dinged for distracted driving charge ($3points+$490 fine)

**FYI
For those with a full license if you decide to fight the ticket and you loose, the fine jumps to $1000 + 3 points.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Takes about 30 seconds to pair your phone to the infortainment system. Why don’t people do it? Search me.

Weirdness

And people that talk and text while driving....even holding up the phone to their ear and giving zero shits about cops catching them? Well I guess they’re just morons.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15122 posts
16104 upvotes
Oakville
I don't answer calls while driving so that's the first point. For Waze my phone gets mounted to the dash and I use the speaker.
If my kid lived under my roof and I caught them on their phone while driving I'd take the car and phone away.

Your kid may not want the phone connected to the car, because maybe they're hiding something from you (contacts, messages, etc) that could show up on the car, or they don't want their calls on the car speakerphone. Though seems unlikely if they hand it to you to answer while they're driving.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11249 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
I really get incoming calls, lol
My wife or family msg me instead and I usually let them know that I'm on my way before I leave one place to another, so they know that I'm driving.

I have it paired from my phone to the car, but once I active BT on my phone, I always forget to turn it off once I'm off the car and it drain the battery on my cellphone much quicker.

But the primary reason is I no longer get much incoming calls (except scams), if my phone ring while I'm driving, then I will let it go off and call back once I parked.
If my wife is beside me, I will let her take the car for me.

I understand for people that use their phone constantly or business reasons and have to drive whole day, then just pair it on your BT, it takes few minutes to do it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
engineered wrote: I don't answer calls while driving so that's the first point. For Waze my phone gets mounted to the dash and I use the speaker.
If my kid lived under my roof and I caught them on their phone while driving I'd take the car and phone away.

Your kid may not want the phone connected to the car, because maybe they're hiding something from you (contacts, messages, etc) that could show up on the car, or they don't want their calls on the car speakerphone. Though seems unlikely if they hand it to you to answer while they're driving.
By boy I think he meant his friend as opposed to kid
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15122 posts
16104 upvotes
Oakville
MP3_SKY wrote: I really get incoming calls, lol
My wife or family msg me instead and I usually let them know that I'm on my way before I leave one place to another, so they know that I'm driving.

I have it paired from my phone to the car, but once I active BT on my phone, I always forget to turn it off once I'm off the car and it drain the battery on my cellphone much quicker.

But the primary reason is I no longer get much incoming calls (except scams), if my phone ring while I'm driving, then I will let it go off and call back once I parked.
If my wife is beside me, I will let her take the car for me.

I understand for people that use their phone constantly or business reasons and have to drive whole day, then just pair it on your BT, it takes few minutes to do it.
You can use some automation apps to automatically disable your bluetooth, GPS, etc, for certain event, like disconnecting from the car, arriving home, etc.
nasa25 wrote: By boy I think he meant his friend as opposed to kid
lol, maybe. Once I was riding with a friend, and he slowed down to gawk at a crash on the highway. I told him he was the reason for so many slow downs, and I started punching him in the arm until he sped back up. If he was texting and driving I'd take his phone away and ask he wanted me to drive.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11249 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: You can use some automation apps to automatically disable your bluetooth, GPS, etc, for certain event, like disconnecting from the car, arriving home, etc.
Yes, but I don't get incoming calls, this is why I don't need to pair it. That is really MY reason.
People message me and I replied fairly quick.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
The primary reason I pair it is to get music from my iPhone. Secondary is to accept calls.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5330 posts
1985 upvotes
Debtario
They really need a better system for texting while driving, maybe a split keyboard on the steering wheel and a HUD display with laptop/phone screen mirroring support.

In seriousness, I'm too lazy and rarely use my phone to make/take calls. Don't care for music off my phone either, prefer to listen to music peacefully at home through proper gear, in the car it's mostly just to drown out road noise. I actually hate carrying a phone altogether, people know this and nobody expects an immediate reply/call back from me anyway.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"