• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 11:10 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Jerico wrote: In Japan they apparently tear down the homes every 5-10 years so longevity isn’t any concern. There is no DIY market there.
Its more like a 30 year lifespan for houses, and that is prefab homes in suburbs built from the 60's on.

A friend married a Japanese girl while teaching in Japan, her parents were terrified to visit the couple in Canada when told they would be sleeping in the basement.....they had never seen a home with a basement.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: After the quake and resulting tsunami a few years back they talked about changing standard for the rebuilds. We thought they were going to murder the North American lumber trade. And they didn’t. Just rebuilt to the same standard they had.
They would murder the lumber trade because the new standards might go away from wood construction?
I would think that home actually do well in quakes if designed correctly due to the flexibility. Stone is probably the worst, and steel the best but costly.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: Its more like a 30 year lifespan for houses, and that is prefab homes in suburbs built from the 60's on.

A friend married a Japanese girl while teaching in Japan, her parents were terrified to visit the couple in Canada when told they would be sleeping in the basement.....they had never seen a home with a basement.
The data we saw was 5-10 and was an aggregate across the country.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: They would murder the lumber trade because the new standards might go away from wood construction?
I would think that home actually do well in quakes if designed correctly due to the flexibility. Stone is probably the worst, and steel the best but costly.
The hope was that they would go to 2by construction.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Jerico wrote: The data we saw was 5-10 and was an aggregate across the country.
Strange they put that forward, if I Google "Japan houses last 30 years" its shows that's accurate....and the average house is worthless after 15 years. Not to be argumentive, too much of that in this forum Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Even a 30 year lifespan is nuts, really strange Japan housing operates like that.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: Strange they put that forward, if I Google "Japan houses last 30 years" its shows that's accurate....and the average house is worthless after 15 years. Not to be argumentive, too much of that in this forum Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Even a 30 year lifespan is nuts, really strange Japan housing operates like that.
It was junk the forestry team dug up. Half the time with the research team I thought they were full of crap to be honest.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: The hope was that they would go to 2by construction.
Ahh, so the worry was that they'd buy up the lumber and drive up lumber costs in Canada.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: Ahh, so the worry was that they'd buy up the lumber and drive up lumber costs in Canada.
Not a worry for the #1 Forestry equipment manufacturer in the world. The hope was that it would revive the BC lumber industry that had all kinds of pine beetle wood that needed to be used.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)