None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4241 posts
151 upvotes
Cambridge

RECALL: Mastercraft 10" Mitre saw recall

I know there has been a lot of interest in the Mastercraft Mitre Saws in the Hot Deals forums. That's why I'm posting it here. This was in my local paper but I've found a link source.

5 different saw models are recalled.

ag2000, if you want to put this link in your deal quotes for the next few weeks it might be a good public service

Candian Tire Recalls Mastercraft Saws May 29, 2006

[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] is recalling two Mastercraft 10" Compound Mitre Saws, two Mastercraft 10" Compound Mitre Saws with Laser Line and Mastercraft 10" Compound Mitre Saw with Stand. It has been determined that due to a manufacturing defect, the aluminum cast pivot joint that connects the base of the saw and the head assembly (containing the blade) may crack under extreme pressure or force causing a potential safety concern.

While [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] is not aware of any instance of injury, there have been 13 incidents in which the aluminum cast joint pivot cracked. In four of those incidents, the pivot head broke causing the head to detach from the base. Customers are being asked to discontinue use of these products immediately and return them to their nearest [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] store for a full refund.

The saws contain a blue label on the motor housing of the units. Products included in this recall will have one of five [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] product numbers, 55-6802, 55-6895, 55-6893, 55-6821 or 99-7599, followed by a serial number that begins with the letter 'W' (highlighted in white or yellow). Only those saws containing one of the five product numbers listed above, as well as the letter 'W', are included in this recall.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2946 posts
84 upvotes
BC
So pretty much like the gravity gun and saw blade in half-life 2? lol
Nov 11, 2003
487 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, just check my dad's.. it's a recall..

Will the exchange it for one with out the defect ? My dad really loves the miter saw, and wont want it to be simply returned.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
Damn, I think mine is one of these. Funny, they aren't even shown on the website anymore. Now what am I supposed to do for a mitre saw? Hopefully, they are offering a great deal on the ones they do still stock. I got my mitre saw for a steal!
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1291 posts
56 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:Damn, I think mine is one of these. Funny, they aren't even shown on the website anymore. Now what am I supposed to do for a mitre saw? Hopefully, they are offering a great deal on the ones they do still stock. I got my mitre saw for a steal!
Why not take the money and buy that delta saw at HD?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
rabblerouser wrote:Why not take the money and buy that delta saw at HD?
Nah, they have the Mastercraft 12" on sale for $149.99 this week, so I believe that will be my next saw.
If only they'd put that Maximum with laser on sale again!

Feb 19, 2005
217 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
Damn, this is mine...anyone know what they will do for the recall? I no longer have my receipt so will they give me a credit or a refund?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
According to their press release, they will issue a "full refund", most likely though for the last sale price, which I think was around $90 or so for the regular 10" mitre saw. You shouldn't have to take a store credit because of their manufacturer's mistake.

Feb 19, 2005
217 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks, I should have read the press release more closely... :o

Since it says thay we should return the saw immediately, I will probably reutrn it this weekend. I was planning on using it to finish the stairs for my deck but the last thing I need is for the saw to break and cut myself in half or something....

Now that there will be a lot of us withougt a mitre saw, anyone know of a good deal on a compound mitre saw?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
condorguy wrote:Thanks, I should have read the press release more closely... :o

Since it says thay we should return the saw immediately, I will probably reutrn it this weekend. I was planning on using it to finish the stairs for my deck but the last thing I need is for the saw to break and cut myself in half or something....

Now that there will be a lot of us withougt a mitre saw, anyone know of a good deal on a compound mitre saw?
At least the cut to yourself would be a true 45 degree angle! :lol:
Anyhoo, CT has the 12 " mitre saw on right now for $149.99 normally $249.99. Not sure if they will be coming out with a replacement for these recalls. The price was right and they work like a charm. They sold thousands of them, especially the one with the laser guide for $120 or so.

I think now, I will be upgrading to a laser sight for sure, I am sick of lowering blade, checking, cutting, etc.

Feb 19, 2005
217 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
I have the mitre saw with the laser sight and I was not too happy with it...it was hard to see somtimes (even with those stupid red galsses) and the line was not inline with the blade...

I prefer to lower the blade and check before cutting...you know what they say..measure 10 times and cut once!
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12157 posts
614 upvotes
I have one of the recalled saws - I see they don't even sell them on the website anymore. They had better be willing to replace it with the 12" that's on sale right now...
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
deep wrote:I have one of the recalled saws - I see they don't even sell them on the website anymore. They had better be willing to replace it with the 12" that's on sale right now...
I'm thinking a straight swap on that one would be fair too. Most people wouldn't have their receipt still, I do, but not sure if I am going to show it right off the bat, since they would most likely do replacement for original value ("Full Refund") hopefully.

Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1410 posts
128 upvotes
If you are looking for a basic mitre saw, then I would suggest the King saw at costco. Its a 10" sliding mitre saw with laser for $169.99. It decent enough for the average joe, but if you plan on using it for a large jobs etc. Then I would recommend Bosch, Rigid or dewalt.

Winky
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1116 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
There is a 10" Delta / Porter+Cable mitre saw for $129 at Home Depot stores and currently with a bonus Black and Decker kit via MIR. You can only find this deal in stores (saw it last week at the location @ Dufferin & Steeles, Toronto).

FYI, the same deal (saw + rebate) was on sale at Rona 2 weeks ago for $99.

FYI2, the Home Depot website for this saw is $169 and no mention of the rebate.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
10 upvotes
I have one of the recalled mitre saws. I'm actually happy to return it. Now that I've used a mitre saw for a few projects, I'm going to buy a sliding compound mitre saw for those times when you need to cut wider pieces of wood.

I agree with the previous poster than the Mastercraft laser system was not completely useful. It gave me a general idea, but I always had to check by lowering the blade before making the cut. A hawk has much better eyesight than the Hawkeye laser.

Is this the saw at Costco for $169.99?
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=81&ID=2518
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12157 posts
614 upvotes
Well, I went to CT this afternoon, and the return was no problem. They haven't actually received the notice in stores yet, so maybe wait a day or two if you don't want to stand there while they call head office. They gave me the HIGHEST price credit for the saw, as I didn't (wink) have (nudge) my receipt on me (say no more).

Their first instinct was to call it defective and give me the lowest price credit ($120) but I just had to ask "For a safety recall?" and there was no problem or argument.

So it was basically a straight trade from a 2 year old 10" to a brand new 12" saw. As usual, good service from CT.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
5503 posts
31963 upvotes
Montreal
Just my luck...I used the saw for the 1st time last weekend (had it in storage for a year..) ...and I think I threw the bill away accidently when I chucked out the box in the trash!

Argh..I'll check mine tonight.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12139 posts
3464 upvotes
That one from Costco, the King Canada one, is pretty sweet for the bucks... They actually had a coupon last year for it, for another $20 or $25 off. Never cut anything with it, but the slide is pretty smooth, and effortless. Home Hardware had a sliding compound 10" mitre saw (say that 3 times fast) for a pretty good price in store, a while back, can't remember the brand or exact price, somewhere around $150. May have been Bolton or similar, which suspiciously look alot like King Canada stuff. Plus, with Costco, you have any problems and you're covered, just bring it back and get your money back, for 3 years.

Aug 11, 2004
245 posts
17 upvotes
thanks stevethewheel

you just saved my brother's arm. He showed me his saw on the weekend, after reading this post, his was on the list. Thanks again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)