• Oct 12th, 2009 9:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1271 posts
870 upvotes

[CIBC] Receive up to 30,000 Aeroplan miles from CIBC

June 1 - September 30, 2009

For any customer new or existing, if you open up a new Unlimited Chequing account ($12.95/month,) you receive 10,000 Aeroplan Miles.

If they apply for and receive the Aerogold Visa ($120 year,) they receive 15,000 Aeroplan Miles.

If a customer applies for both and activates and uses the card once, they receive an additional 5,000 Aeroplan Miles.

The catch ....

When opening the account, the customer must have at one Direct Deposit into the account, or at least 3 pre-authorized withdrawals from the account.

This is pretty hot consdering 25,000 Aeroplan Miles gets you pretty much a round a trip to anywhere in Canada & US. Mexico is 35,000 miles.

With the VISA, when you use it at most Grocery stores, Gas Stations, & Drug stores, you receive 1.5 Miles for every $1 spent. Everywhere else $1=1 Mile. Also, you can double dip with your Aeroplan card at places such as Sobey's that accept it!
RFD has saved & made me $$$
38 replies
Dec 17, 2006
141 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
Aerogold Visa has an annual fee of $120 (which the OP mentioned) which makes the whole thing kinda warm at best IMHO. After your initial 15000 pts, it'll take you years to accumulate enough pts for more flights depending on how much you spend. I guess you can cancel the card after 1 yr; I'm not sure it it'll affect your credit rating though (I think it only affects it if you sign-up and cancel many credit sources).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6405 posts
59 upvotes
Pretty hot. I get enough aero pts to buy a 4 pk of cineplex vouchers every couple weeks.
- Private Investigator...
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3482 posts
912 upvotes
Vancouver
If you use the card once and immediately switches the card over to a no-annual fee card, do you get all of the $120 back? Or is it pro-rated?
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
56 upvotes
yeungman wrote: Aerogold Visa has an annual fee of $120 (which the OP mentioned) which makes the whole thing kinda warm at best IMHO. After your initial 15000 pts, it'll take you years to accumulate enough pts for more flights depending on how much you spend. I guess you can cancel the card after 1 yr; I'm not sure it it'll affect your credit rating though (I think it only affects it if you sign-up and cancel many credit sources).
Just switch it to the no-annual-fee CIBC Dividend VISA card, but, of course, only after asking a CIBC CSR for a fee-waived renewal!
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Dec 7, 2008
672 posts
133 upvotes
Damn. I was hoping for the 25K bonus for switching your bank account. I was ready to do it this year! I already have the Visa, so 10K points is not worth the hassle of me switching banks.,
Sep 6, 2005
287 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
How long do you have to lock into the 12.95/month checking account? Can they take back the aeroplan points if you switch the account too soon?
Jun 3, 2005
194 posts
Thornhill
Does CIBC (and other visa issuers in general) charge the annual fee upfront?
If not, I would consider upgrading to this aeroplan and calling back after a year to switch to a no-fee card.
- It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity -Albert Einstein
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1271 posts
870 upvotes
To me the best way to use these points are for flights, however, if it is merchandise you are interested in, a few examples are:

1 GB Ipod Shuffle - 9,500 Miles ($60 value)
8 GB Ipod Nano - 23,500 Miles ($160 value)
Sony 12 MP Camera - 29,000 Miles ($220 value)

For all deals go to their website!
RFD has saved & made me $$$
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7600 posts
655 upvotes
Vancouver
kinda cold after you factor in taxes to book your trip along with the annual 120 fee you have basically paid anywhere from 300-400 already

being a cibc member I would swap account to the unlimited chequing if they will waive the 120 fee on the visa aerogold, once the year is up I would cancel it or just put the card away once 35K miles are reached which is easy.

your best imho to just deal w one mileage program and use the card soley for all your purchases and also bypass annual fees...
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Aug 24, 2005
176 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Aeroplan is kind of a rip off. I booked the exact same flight on United a couple of years back and the taxes and fees were in the $50 range for a flight from Toronto to San Fran. Aeroplan tried to charge me over $100. I still have some aeroplan miles and would probably use it for some electronics.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2003
1205 posts
202 upvotes
punvin wrote: Aeroplan is kind of a rip off. I booked the exact same flight on United a couple of years back and the taxes and fees were in the $50 range for a flight from Toronto to San Fran. Aeroplan tried to charge me over $100. I still have some aeroplan miles and would probably use it for some electronics.
You are right. Aeroplan has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me and my wife. Try finding a seat at the 'Classic Rewards' level ... that's the level that everyone thinks they will be able to book at but you end up having to pay more in terms of miles in order to get your flight. Unless you live at a hub (YYZ, YVR), you aren't going to be able to get any decent flights without stupid stopovers and delays ... or EXTREMELY tight connections.

Here's my itinerary for our flight from Calgary to Hawaii:

Calgary --> Edmonton (WTF????)
78 minute layover
Edmonton --> Denver
50 minute layover
Denver to Honolulu

THEN

Honolulu to Vancouver
14 hour layover!!!!!
Vancouver to Calgary

On our Europe trip two years ago:

Calgary to Toronto
Toronto to London
London to Frankfurt
Frankfurt to Madrid

.... seriously ... WTF?

On and let's not forget about the taxes and fees ... $300 for our Hawaii trip (2 people and a baby) and $700 for our Europe trip (2 people).

Go with Avion ... take it from an experienced Aeroplan collector ... I've collected over 250,000 Aeroplan points and I have given up with the lunacy that is Aeroplan.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
56 upvotes
Yeah the only use for Aeroplan is if you want to travel in business/Executive class (or first class...where its still available). Otherwise, as another poster states, save yourself the heartache and just use a cash-back card.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2377 posts
403 upvotes
It really depends where you are flying. There are some very expensive short haul flights that are only 15,000 points making the CIBC gold card (even at $120) a really good value.

Do you research before collecting points.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11362 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
DOC SB wrote: With the VISA, when you use it at most Grocery stores, Gas Stations, & Drug stores, you receive 1.5 Miles for every $1 spent. Everywhere else $1=1 Mile. Also, you can double dip with your Aeroplan card at places such as Sobey's that accept it!
It's a minimum of $1 = 1 Aeroplan point, not "Mile."

Still, not too shabby as points add up if you are using this card for everything (you know, once you've put $1,000 on your Amex business card).

This card also doubles your warranties and has other benefits other cards might not. But yes, you do have to factor in the $120 charge per year.
Jan 13, 2004
607 posts
27 upvotes
It seems a lot of people complain about aeroplan, but really, this has always been a good offer. While I doubt I will get an unlimited chequing account b/c $13/month is crazy (when I can have a free chequing a/c), the aerogold visa has always been good (even though I haven't got one yet).

While everyone is spoiled by cheap flights this year (i.e. $700 to Tokyo), in most years tickets to asia are easily $1500-2000 near summertime. Or you use 75,000 aeropoints which isn't too hard to accumulate. One flight to asia nets you 15,000 pts. Getting the visa card another 15,000. Let's say on average you spend $1000 on your card, that's another 12,000 pts. Plus I think you now have 7 years before the points expire. I will gladly pay the $120 annual fee if it means I will get a free flight to asia in the next few years. Win-win. Plus as opposed to the CIBC dividend card, the aerogold comes with travel insurance.
Sep 9, 2005
833 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
HowEver wrote: It's a minimum of $1 = 1 Aeroplan point, not "Mile."

<snip>

This card also doubles your warranties and has other benefits other cards might not. But yes, you do have to factor in the $120 charge per year.

Actually, it is Aeroplan "Miles" not points. That's how they've always referred to them as they originated with Air Canada giving you one "mile" for every mile flown.

Also, this card does not double your warranty or offer price protection, just in case that is a deciding factor for anyone.
Apr 14, 2009
314 posts
249 upvotes
Vaughan
llcooljayce wrote:

Go with Avion ... take it from an experienced Aeroplan collector ... I've collected over 250,000 Aeroplan points and I have given up with the lunacy that is Aeroplan.
so true, I spend at minimum 15k per month on my card, using aeroplan has become one of the worst experience in life. I switched to Avion and have used them with great success.
Nov 1, 2005
132 posts
Brampton
Just an update for you guys, this offer also applies if you are a business owner.

Apply for an Aerogold for Business and receive 15,000 Aeroplan miles.

Apply for a CIBC Business Operating Account and you can receive 15,000 miles.

Both offers are available together, but you need to have a business registered to take advantage of the offer (sole proprietor, partnership, corporation).

The nice thing is that the BOA fee for 10 transactions is less at $11/month, which is competetive and can be written off against business income. The fee for the business Aerogold card is $180, so it is a bit steeper, but can be written off.

Lastly, you can take advantage of both offers and earn 60,000 aeroplan miles if you go for both.

If you can figure out a way to get them to credit you the annual fee, this a hot deal.