Shopping Discussion

Received Canada Post notice of "Amount Due" - Now what?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2011 5:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 20, 2010
32 posts
burnaby

Received Canada Post notice of "Amount Due" - Now what?

I received a delivery notice card and I look on the back and it says on the back: "amount due: $40.66"

So my question is, what do I do now? I don't even want to bother paying the BS fee.

I have 15 calendar days to pick it up. If I don't pick it up within that time, does it get sent back to the seller, and would I get a refund?

Right now, I just want a refund. Do I have to pay for shipping? Who pays the $40 fee now?
68 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11744 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
jeedee wrote: I received a delivery notice card and I look on the back and it says on the back: "amount due: $40.66"

So my question is, what do I do now? I don't even want to bother paying the BS fee.

I have 15 calendar days to pick it up. If I don't pick it up within that time, does it get sent back to the seller, and would I get a refund?

Right now, I just want a refund. Do I have to pay for shipping? Who pays the $40 fee now?

Pay or it goes back to sender. Then your issue dealing with the company you bought it from.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
That's probably for customs. You take the card + your $40+ change to the shoppers drug mart & pay there. If you don't want it, just go to the shoppers & tell them you don't want it and to send it back. If not, they'll keep sending you reminder cards to pick up your item
[OP]
Mar 20, 2010
32 posts
burnaby
trellaine201 wrote: Pay or it goes back to sender. Then your issue dealing with the company you bought it from.
When it goes back to the sender, does the sender get charged with the $40?

Does the sender have to pay for the shipping if it goes back to them or me?
Kris81 wrote: If you don't want it, just go to the shoppers & tell them you don't want it and to send it back. If not, they'll keep sending you reminder cards to pick up your item

If I tell them to send it back would I have to pay for shipping?
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
12 upvotes
jeedee wrote: I received a delivery notice card and I look on the back and it says on the back: "amount due: $40.66"

Want a refund?

You might get a better response if you added some more info, like what it is you want a refund for.

If it is something you bought on Ebay or an online retailer, it may end up costing you (for getting nothing) if you don't accept the item.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
1973 posts
294 upvotes
Ottawa
One time I won something (worth about $80-100) and when I got it Canada Post wanted $30 for it. I simply ignored it and the package was sent back.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2010
32 posts
burnaby
DipSheet2 wrote: Want a refund?

You might get a better response if you added some more info, like what it is you want a refund for.

If it is something you bought on Ebay or an online retailer, it may end up costing you (for getting nothing) if you don't accept the item.
Sorry forgot to mention I bought something off of eBay for 520 CDN including shipping.
Rudy wrote: One time I won something (worth about $80-100) and when I got it Canada Post wanted $30 for it. I simply ignored it and the package was sent back.

Did you get a refund from the seller? Did you pay for the shipping?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1411 posts
165 upvotes
After the time allotted the package gets sent back to the seller. I thought Canada Post absorbed the cost but last time I sent a package I had two options if the receiver rejected shipment.

1. Get it sent back to me at my cost
2. Depose of package

So if you reject it, the seller may get back at you?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20729 posts
14567 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jeedee wrote: Sorry forgot to mention I bought something off of eBay for 520 CDN including shipping.
What makes you think you shouldn't have to pay HST on that item? Besides 12% of $520 is $62.40 so it seems you're even getting off lightly.
Did you get a refund from the seller? Did you pay for the shipping?
He claims he won the item, presumably in some sort of contest, so he just forfeited it.

If you decline your eBay item, Canada Post will return it to the seller at no cost to you. But then it's unlikely you'll get a refund for the $520. Sounds like a case of biting off your nose to spite your face.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2465 posts
311 upvotes

That "BS fee" is called taxes, something you should be expecting to pay if you're ordering something from eBay being shipped from the US.

If you reject the package and it gets sent back, the best case scenario is that the seller will refund your payment minus the shipping cost, of which I believe is absolutely the correct thing to do.

It's not their fault you didn't account for having to pay customs on the item.
Jan 26, 2011
513 posts
257 upvotes
Gatineau
If you won an item on eBay and it does not specifically say that duties are included, then you are responsible to pay for this item (which you did already) and it's your problem to pay for duties.

If I was selling something on eBay and I got it back, not sure I'd give a refund because the other person didn't look at this before bidding.

Don't forget the seller had to pay for the eBay posting, shipping (+ time to go to the postal office, unless it's an online store), the box used for shipping, etc. and if the item is not defective, if you only refused shipment, he has absolutely no obligations to refund you.

Always consider this before buying from the States (or anywhere outside Canada), whether it's eBay or an actual store.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
jeedee wrote: When it goes back to the sender, does the sender get charged with the $40?

Does the sender have to pay for the shipping if it goes back to them or me?

If I tell them to send it back would I have to pay for shipping?

That depends on who sent you the item. Canada Post will just mark the item as "Refused" and they will just send it back.

I've had many customers do this. One lady in particular bought a crap load of stuff online as christmas gifts for others, but it came late, so when i delivered it she said she didn't want it. I just marked it as refused & sent it back to our station. What happens after that, I don't know.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
19 upvotes
Pretty sure Canada Post has a huge warehouse depot of stuff like. Parcels that were refused and sent to die there. Unless, they have auctions.

Would be interested to hear from some CP workers about this.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7880 posts
1471 upvotes
Burnaby
The charge is most likely for sales taxes (HST). If refused, the package will go back to the sender. From what I understand, sales taxes will not be passed to the sender as the product never stayed across the border with a Canadian customer.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2010
32 posts
burnaby
Thanks for all the replys.

After posting this on eBay aswell, and receiving tons of bitching from eBay sellers, I guess I'll just pay the fee. I have bought/ordered many things from US sellers in the past and not once have I ever paid a penny for a fee...