Shopping Discussion

Received Canada Post notice of "Amount Due" - Now what?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2011 5:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1834 posts
995 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
This thread is ridiculous. The shipper obviously gave you a break and listed the value for less than it actually cost! You only owe tax on like $270 of merchandise instead of $520. You should owe $70+. Your the kind of person that detours US sellers from shipping to Canada and ruins cross border savings opportunities for the rest of us. Clearly at checkout you must have noticed that no sales tax was added to your order? You got lucky on any other packages that were not assessed in the past and you should be happy about all that tax you saved!
May 14, 2009
600 posts
4 upvotes
I bought a pair of shoe from ebay.com for $34 + shipping (20) and now i'm charged with $40.71...is there new custom rate for 2011????
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6235 posts
1905 upvotes
BC
vlxj45 wrote: I bought a pair of shoe from ebay.com for $34 + shipping (20) and now i'm charged with $40.71...is there new custom rate for 2011????

Are you having a bit of fun with us?

Surely everyone knows that the duty on footwear is about the highest % rate you will ever pay.

The rate changes over time, but generally, if it's not made in the U.S., Canada or Mexico, figure on 18%.

Can be much higher than that if it's made in a country that doesn't stand a chance of ever qualifying as a "Most Favoured Nation" for its goods.

If the shoes arrived by courier, the rest is brokerage.

If they came by Canada Post, the real value of them must have been re-assessed by Customs because of an artificially low declaration by the Seller.
You'd have to claim a refund by submitting your PayPal receipt.

UPDATE: Just saw another unfortunate example of a Canadian buying item on eBay worth $200 and then blaming the seller for CP collecting HST + $5

Here's an extract of the Feedback (the seller seems to have gone above and beyond to placate the stupid whiner who didn't give him a Positive):

Prompt service, but was hit with additional charges Buyer: Member id scruffy246810 ( Feedback Score Of 5 ) 13-Feb-11 00:34
Follow-up by scruffy246810 (13-Feb-11 14:27):
Seller addressed my concerns, and am now pleased with their service.
Flatstoppers RR-FS Race Ramps-Canada, Australia, Others (#330511597383) US $218.00
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1502 posts
92 upvotes
jeremys0033 wrote: What is the nature of the item? Electronics? Computer? Have you ever purchased anything that expensive from USA? I know many small purchases I've made from the USA (under $100) I never got charged taxes on. When I purchased a computer on eBay for ~$300 I had to pay HST. Sounds like seller even marked it under value and you're saving on taxes. Not a good idea for the seller, but obviously the item has made it safely so they got away with it.

So in other words you pretty much cheated the government by not paying taxes when you should've? And you stating this online.... and stating you actually DID cheat the government... LOL

Now all a government employee needs is to file some papers to the RFD owners to get your IP address and find you. LOL. wow you are one smart guy....
GamerzPlace
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
543 upvotes
you got to be kidding? you expect not to pay the hst on ordering stuff out of canada? when you buy something in canada you need pay taxes so the same applies when buying outside of canada. Private seller, store, online, when the item comes through CBSA will determine what you need to pay.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: OK.

What Happens to Undeliverable Mail?

Looks like there's need for some remedial training at Canada Post ;)

There was a pretty good episode of "Ed's Up" where he worked a couple positions at Canada Post. One such position was this area specifically, very interesting. It consisted mostly of letters that were mangled in the automated sorting process (maybe not the subject at hand exactly, but sorta)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1021 upvotes
Becks wrote: Hey, I had to pay $5 processing fee + taxes on a mere $35 item! If you don't want to pay these fees, order from a seller in Canada!
That $5 fee is the only thing BS about this to me. Canpost just charges taxes (what you'd pay at BB or WM) but a fee to collect tax frm the gov't always seemed a bit much to me.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20729 posts
14567 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
NG wrote: That $5 fee is the only thing BS about this to me. Canpost just charges taxes (what you'd pay at BB or WM) but a fee to collect tax frm the gov't always seemed a bit much to me.
1. The analogy with BB or WM is flawed. They're collecting HST. While some things may be exempt it's all preprogrammed into their cash register system so the cashier doesn't have to think. OTOH with merchandise entering Canada, each package needs to be evaluated and rated based on the contents and country of origin. Some stuff gets in free. Some stuff is banned. Some is subject only to HST. Some stuff also attracts duty at a rate that depends on the nature of the item. Even with NAFTA a lot of clothes/shoes imported from the US attract duty. I suspect that's a more individual process and calls for some personal judgement and discretion. That's why often packages valued at over $20 get in free of taxes. ISTM that $5 isn't an unreasonable fee to charge for this.

2. UPS charges more—way, way more. It's not unusual for UPS to charge as much or more in brokerage fees as the value of the item being imported. CanPost's $5 flat fee is a bargain by comparison.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 28, 2010
6 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
I agree, anything I buy over the border I expect to be taxed on.
Not trying to thread steal, but do they tax on prize winnings as well?
My wife won a $1200 prize from a US magazine, and the first shipment came through fine. However, this latest one they want almost $50 for (the package has $350 worth of prizes in it).
Since this is our first win, have no idea if this is expected or not...

Jamie
Oct 13, 2003
240 posts
11 upvotes
Sprite_TM wrote: problem is, there are some stuff you can't get in Canada.

maybe Canada customs should raise the ceiling of bought merchandise to 200 like the US. many canadians are already paying an outrageous amount of taxes in this country, from 50% income tax to 13% HST. the government is a bit greedy imo. and this greedy habit gets inherited to Robbers and Bhell and breed bad companies that rip off Canadian's hard earned money.

Interesting, where in Canada might one be paying this 50% income tax? Do you have a source other than the rants in the Toronto Sun to back up your claims?
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
harryt wrote: So in other words you pretty much cheated the government by not paying taxes when you should've? And you stating this online.... and stating you actually DID cheat the government... LOL

Now all a government employee needs is to file some papers to the RFD owners to get your IP address and find you. LOL. wow you are one smart guy....

Hey Troll,

it's up to customs to deem whether or not I should be charged anything. It depends on the nature of the item as well. I bought the item, and received it through the proper channels with accurate customs paperwork stating the value and description of the item. I never cheated anyone silly. Primary school system failed you.
Oct 24, 2007
873 posts
104 upvotes
BC
OP needs a serious reality check.

Refusing a package because taxes need to be paid on a high value item... what were you expecting? Our government to just let you off scot free on a purchase worth hundreds of dollars? That never happens within Canada, so I don't know why you're expecting a free pass here. IF you never had to pay taxes before hand consider yourself very lucky, but you shouldn't have a sense of entitlement because of it.

Whatever you bought I'm sure that extra 40 doesn't really make a big dent in your savings from purchasing across the border, so why create such a fuss about it? You still got a good deal.

Talk about a buyers worst nightmare. I'd ban you from all my future listings.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20729 posts
14567 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
BoogalooJ wrote: My wife won a $1200 prize from a US magazine, and the first shipment came through fine.
Your wife was lucky — twice.
However, this latest one they want almost $50 for (the package has $350 worth of prizes in it).
You owe (at least) HST on the fair market value regardless of how much you actually paid for it. Usually Customs will rely on the amount on the receipt, however, if that seems suspiciously low or, as in your situation, you have no receipt, they'll estimate the value. In your case 13% on $350 is $45.50 plus $5 for Canada Post entry fee, so $50 sounds about right.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
IF it had come by any of the courier services the duty would be passed onto the sender. i know this as it has happened to me when i asked the sender to use regular USPS because of the nonsense and overcharging the couriers do. one day a UPS driver arrived at my door and was asking me to sign for a parcel, i looked at the address from which it came and it was from the expected sender. i told the driver i'm refusing the parcel and to have it returned to sender since i am NOT paying fees that added up to more than the actual cost of the item.

once it was in the process of being sent back UPS hit the sender with DOUBLE the duty costs (their excuse was that it was going through customs again and the value of the item was charged the cost because it was crossing the border again) so now it was 4X the actual cost of the item. and of course the sender refused the item and had no argument against me since they did not follow the instructions i gave them (and yes they did ship regular USPS, it was the lazy actions of the employees that overlooked the instructions) and as a result he had to ship another one out to me and this time followed the instructions. much time and money wasted.

in most cases if you are close to the border just use one of the postal outlets that will accept parcels/mail for canadians (usually a fee of about $5 per item) and then plan a weekend to cross over and pick it up. it saves the hassle and time of waiting for it to clear customs and in some cases stupid duty fees. or if it's around $50 then ask the seller to claim it's $20 and it will pass through customs without a problem.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
one beef i have about this whole duty/taxes thing is this.

when you physically cross over and shop you pay the taxes of that state. then when you come back across and claim the items at the border depending on how much you spent you are taxed AGAIN on the items. and please don't tell me they let you off on a certain amount and then tax the overage (depending on the time you were away and the amount) because that's BS. i was away visiting family for almost 2 months and spent less than the amount i was entitled, was yellow slipped and inspected. they taxed everything i had bought and expected me to pay.... i calmly explained that i was in the states for a minimum 6 weeks and the items (price tags still attached and receipts in hand) did not come near the amount i'm allowed to spend before being subjected to this taxing nonsense. if that's the case then we should have some sort of card that is recognized by the american government that allows us to purchase items without paying their tax and just pay canadian tax on things once we cross back over, but of course that would never happen. it's insane to pay state tax then when crossing back over have to pay canadian tax on something we never bought in canada.

it sounds like the kid that cries because he didn't get it too so he wants to get back at the other one. canada is the kid that is crying because we bought it in the states and not from him so to spite us he charges duty so that he gets something out of the deal.

we get taxed on our taxes, we get taxed on store purchases, we get taxed on gas, we get taxed on our pay cheques... we get taxed on practically everything, so when we cross over and buy stuff in the in states and pay THEIR taxes on the item it should be hands off to canada. it's no wonder people find ways to slip things by customs, who wants to pay double the tax on something that they shouldn't have to. and no amount of explanation is going to sit well with me about how canada has to do this or that. to me this country is the sneaky one that to your face is smiling and inviting, but behind your back is cheating you out of something in order to line their pockets. and if you don't think so then try and explain why our prime minister and other cabinet members use our money to take fancy trips and golf outings in other countries, run up huge bills dining out and taking limos and other personal expenses. do they not get a pay cheque like you and i ? i believe it's salary so why are they not using that money to spend ??? anyway you slice it they are stealing from us. it would be the same thing as a guy embezzling money from the company he works for and doing the exact same thing but yet he goes to jail while the government people get away with it .... oh right, unless something bad happens and they need a scape goat to satisfy the people then they hang one out to dry.

i think it's time to take our country back and stop letting higher ups take advantage of their positions and costing us our lives and savings. our world wouldn't be where it's at if we had control, we wouldn't be fighting overseas and gas wouldn't be as high as it is. why is it when war is started, those higher ups that started it are not on the front line representing their country ? but instead expect US to go and fight..... instead of going to Afghanistan, go to ottawa and put foot to azz.

umm wow my apologies.... this was all over the place. lol just a bit of frustration pent up about everything and guess it all came out. but i don't excuse what i just said because if you think about it. what i said is true.