Shopping Discussion

Received Canada Post notice of "Amount Due" - Now what?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2011 5:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
the stig wrote: one beef i have about this whole duty/taxes thing is this.

when you physically cross over and shop you pay the taxes of that state. then when you come back across and claim the items at the border depending on how much you spent you are taxed AGAIN on the items. and please don't tell me they let you off on a certain amount and then tax the overage (depending on the time you were away and the amount) because that's BS. i was away visiting family for almost 2 months and spent less than the amount i was entitled, was yellow slipped and inspected. they taxed everything i had bought and expected me to pay.... i calmly explained that i was in the states for a minimum 6 weeks and the items (price tags still attached and receipts in hand) did not come near the amount i'm allowed to spend before being subjected to this taxing nonsense. if that's the case then we should have some sort of card that is recognized by the american government that allows us to purchase items without paying their tax and just pay canadian tax on things once we cross back over, but of course that would never happen. it's insane to pay state tax then when crossing back over have to pay canadian tax on something we never bought in canada.

it sounds like the kid that cries because he didn't get it too so he wants to get back at the other one. canada is the kid that is crying because we bought it in the states and not from him so to spite us he charges duty so that he gets something out of the deal.

we get taxed on our taxes, we get taxed on store purchases, we get taxed on gas, we get taxed on our pay cheques... we get taxed on practically everything, so when we cross over and buy stuff in the in states and pay THEIR taxes on the item it should be hands off to canada. it's no wonder people find ways to slip things by customs, who wants to pay double the tax on something that they shouldn't have to. and no amount of explanation is going to sit well with me about how canada has to do this or that. to me this country is the sneaky one that to your face is smiling and inviting, but behind your back is cheating you out of something in order to line their pockets. and if you don't think so then try and explain why our prime minister and other cabinet members use our money to take fancy trips and golf outings in other countries, run up huge bills dining out and taking limos and other personal expenses. do they not get a pay cheque like you and i ? i believe it's salary so why are they not using that money to spend ??? anyway you slice it they are stealing from us. it would be the same thing as a guy embezzling money from the company he works for and doing the exact same thing but yet he goes to jail while the government people get away with it .... oh right, unless something bad happens and they need a scape goat to satisfy the people then they hang one out to dry.

i think it's time to take our country back and stop letting higher ups take advantage of their positions and costing us our lives and savings. our world wouldn't be where it's at if we had control, we wouldn't be fighting overseas and gas wouldn't be as high as it is. why is it when war is started, those higher ups that started it are not on the front line representing their country ? but instead expect US to go and fight..... instead of going to Afghanistan, go to ottawa and put foot to azz.

umm wow my apologies.... this was all over the place. lol just a bit of frustration pent up about everything and guess it all came out. but i don't excuse what i just said because if you think about it. what i said is true.

You sound like the kid that's crying; when you import things into Canada, you pay duties and taxes. The fact that you paid US taxes means nothing to Canada nor should it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20685 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
spf1971 wrote: The fact that you paid US taxes means nothing to Canada nor should it.
One flaw with that argument is that it's inconsistent with other taxes.

For example, if you receive dividends from US companies, the US withholds income tax under CA/US tax treaty at the rate of 15%. When you file your Canadian tax return you have to declare the full amount of the dividend income, however, you can claim the 15% that was withheld by the US as a credit on the tax owed Canada.

If this was how sales taxes were treated at the border then the amount of state sales tax you paid would become a credit towards the amount of GST and PST/HST you'd owe Canada.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
SPF1972, i'm not crying about paying the taxes... my arguement is that i pay the state taxes when in the states, then when crossing back over i declare my amount and when flagged for inspection they require me to pay canadian/ontario taxes on top of the tax i just paid while in the states. the fair thing that should be done is that they either refund you the tax you just paid or credit the amount towards the canadian tax and they don't.... in fact and you can check this yourself next time this happens. they tax you on the full amount you paid in the states INCLUDING the state tax which is so wrong. it should be on the items price BEFORE taxes. so they are hitting you up for more than you should be paying and i have called them on it many times... either they need to be more diligent in their work or need to be trained better.

also, when i pulled out the pamphlet stating what you should and shouldn't be taxed on i was greeted with condescending and rude behaviour because i was looking up my rights as a citizen and making sure i was being dealt with properly. i'm a canadian and i should not have to be treated with disrespect from my own government or people who work on behalf of the country i live in. i will not hesitate to speak my mind and set things straight !

i'm sure i have a screen written up about me for the times that i have fought back and proved them wrong according to their own regulations, but so be it... i won't be bullied by some old fart that thinks he owns canada and is policing it for his own business. they need o get those old people out of those positions they have been doing for 30 years and put some younger people in there that can do the job more friendly and understanding than a grumpy old person that has it out for everyone that is only looking to cross over and have a nice visit and maybe do some shopping. i think aside for 5 times that i have crossed over it's been a grumpy old person that gives me a look like i just shot their dog or trampled their garden, and i don't roll up with attitude or sarcastic remarks. i smile and give clear answers to the questions they ask me.

things are messed up and they know it and unless you and everyone else voices their concern it will continue.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
the stig wrote: SPF1972, i'm not crying about paying the taxes... my arguement is that i pay the state taxes when in the states, then when crossing back over i declare my amount and when flagged for inspection they require me to pay canadian/ontario taxes on top of the tax i just paid while in the states. the fair thing that should be done is that they either refund you the tax you just paid or credit the amount towards the canadian tax and they don't.... in fact and you can check this yourself next time this happens. they tax you on the full amount you paid in the states INCLUDING the state tax which is so wrong. it should be on the items price BEFORE taxes. so they are hitting you up for more than you should be paying and i have called them on it many times... either they need to be more diligent in their work or need to be trained better.

also, when i pulled out the pamphlet stating what you should and shouldn't be taxed on i was greeted with condescending and rude behaviour because i was looking up my rights as a citizen and making sure i was being dealt with properly. i'm a canadian and i should not have to be treated with disrespect from my own government or people who work on behalf of the country i live in. i will not hesitate to speak my mind and set things straight !

i'm sure i have a screen written up about me for the times that i have fought back and proved them wrong according to their own regulations, but so be it... i won't be bullied by some old fart that thinks he owns canada and is policing it for his own business. they need o get those old people out of those positions they have been doing for 30 years and put some younger people in there that can do the job more friendly and understanding than a grumpy old person that has it out for everyone that is only looking to cross over and have a nice visit and maybe do some shopping. i think aside for 5 times that i have crossed over it's been a grumpy old person that gives me a look like i just shot their dog or trampled their garden, and i don't roll up with attitude or sarcastic remarks. i smile and give clear answers to the questions they ask me.

things are messed up and they know it and unless you and everyone else voices their concern it will continue.

You pay taxes/duties based on the full amount including any state tax, that's the way it works. You want them to refund the state tax? Who? Hopefully not the Canadian government because they didn't collect the taxes. I bet you carry on at the border in the same fashion that you carry on here; I.E. a spoiled know-it-all brat who doesn't actually know it all.
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
5 upvotes
$40 on a $500 item is nothing, try paying UPS $40 on a $60 item - :evil: :evil:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
spf1971 wrote: You pay taxes/duties based on the full amount including any state tax, that's the way it works. You want them to refund the state tax? Who? Hopefully not the Canadian government because they didn't collect the taxes. I bet you carry on at the border in the same fashion that you carry on here; I.E. a spoiled know-it-all brat who doesn't actually know it all.

do you work for the government or something?

he knows that's how it works. he's just stating his argument and you go out and call him a brat.
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
Visitors from the US to Canada can (or could) apply for a rebate of the retail sales tax paid on purchases here. There was a whole section on the Revenue Canada web site devoted to it once upon a time (as recent as 2 summers ago, I haven't checked since.) There were kiosks in some locations that they could do it in person, or they could apply by mail once they were home. ID, proof of travel and the receipts from eligible purchases were all that was needed.

Before complaining about paying state tax AND Canadian taxes, did you bother to look into the state you were in and find out if there is a similar program? If so, avail yourself of it. If not, factor that in when you buy across the border.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6226 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
celtic-redhead wrote: Visitors from the US to Canada can (or could) apply for a rebate of the retail sales tax paid on purchases here.

Not any more, so you are right on the "could".

It's unclear exactly when it was eliminated, but April 1, 2007 was when it was announced as a done deal.

The advent of HST was the trigger.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/README.html

The replacement program is of no benefit to the average U.S. visitor.

Most of these sales tax refund programs are too cumbersome - the only thing that works well is a tax exemption at the checkout for qualified visitors.
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks for clearing that up! Once upon a time a lot of US friends visited or came up for events. As our dollar got stronger and prices rose it was no longer a benefit for them to do so, so I didn't notice when that program ended.

Just one more reason why they won't bother coming anymore. :(

Still, it would be worth looking into similar programs in the US states that we plan to visit. You never know!